Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Does anyone know why Skys syncs are lower than BeThere?

This is a discussion on Does anyone know why Skys syncs are lower than BeThere? within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For the vast majority of people, gamers included, the Sky packages/settings work just fine. It's those who are serious gamers ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Does anyone know why Skys syncs are lower than BeThere?

For the vast majority of people, gamers included, the Sky packages/settings work just fine. It's those who are serious gamers that have the issues and it's where Sky BB might not be the best ISP to go with due to the lack of fastpath. Sync speed has nothing to do with ping times, although a higher upload will help as you're obviously sending AND receiving data so the faster you can send data the better things will be.

Bottom line is if you NEED fastpath then go to an ISP that offers it - even if it means spending a few pounds more each month
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      BLaZeDRas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Longton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

so far their solution after I have contacted them was to place a 727kbit upload cap on my sync. Useless customer service and they haven't contacted me since even though they said they would 5 days ago.

The problem with the line still persists and now they have reduced my upload to even worse speeds. Truely awful

Fastpath is not the issue here and stop suggesting I go elsewhere, I WILL... but im in the obligatory 12 month contract with these ********
      Last edited by Isitme; 24-02-11 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Please do not use insulting language

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky don't particularly cater for gamers, so perhaps you should have done some research on Sky LLU before migrating. I don't see the need to spout profanities like a little kid.

I'm not sure which issue you're attempting to pursue on the phone to Sky, but if it's speed/lag issues, then you're going about it the wrong way. Call them and concentrate on the fact that it's intermittent - once that's sorted, then perhaps the ping time issue will settle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Sky don't particularly cater for gamers, so perhaps you should have done some research on Sky LLU before migrating. I don't see the need to spout profanities like a little kid.

I'm not sure which issue you're attempting to pursue on the phone to Sky, but if it's speed/lag issues, then you're going about it the wrong way. Call them and concentrate on the fact that it's intermittent - once that's sorted, then perhaps the ping time issue will settle.
      like a little language hurts anyone, get off you're high horse taking offence at mere words... I'm sorry but it is not "like a little kid" to say something meaningful about the subject/company you're dealing with. In any case the word in question was censored, gotta be some kind of a little kid yourself to be taking offence at pre-censored words. Sky do not prioritize their customer service so I feel that's a justified position.

Another thing, "not catering for gamers" is not an excuse to give a poor (read: non-optimal) line set-up to you're customers; stop defending sky with completely non-arguments. Every single person on this forum that is with sky seem to have sub-optimal sync rates, not even taking into account ping times.

It's quite obvious that some people here on this forum seem to hold sky in high regard for some reason and are upset that someone is actually speaking the truth for once.

Unrelated Update;
      They have just rang me back after I have emailed them about not calling me on the issue for 5 days when they said they would within 3days. DLM has been reactivated on my line (like DLM ever helped anything). Having said that they have issued a separate support problem for the sky talk side of things since I get disconnections on the phone line mid-call every so often (not predictable).

Seriously people stop attacking me just because I am showing frustration at the company because they have absurdly BAD customer service; the majority of their customer service team sound like they have never seen a computer/network before (not the guy today he was alright). Quite frankly it just pains me to see so many people being happy/putting up with mediocre service.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

But if your expectation of said service was high in the first place then you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. Sky BB's target market were those who want to plug in a router and have it work - this was it.

The gamers then got onboard as it was cheap but soon realised that at the end of the day you pay for what you want. Other ISPs offer things like static IPs, fastpath, etc but you pay extra for them so your traffic can be prioritised.

I worked in CST for 3 years and had my fair share of people give me grief down the phone but seeing as I work in IT and can build systems in my sleep I know what I'm talking about. Out of interest, do you still have the issue with speed increasing when on the phone?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLaZeDRas View Post
      like a little language hurts anyone, get off you're high horse taking offence at mere words... I'm sorry but it is not "like a little kid" to say something meaningful about the subject/company you're dealing with. In any case the word in question was censored, gotta be some kind of a little kid yourself to be taking offence at pre-censored words. Sky do not prioritize their customer service so I feel that's a justified position.
      I'm not offended, and I'd challenge you to quote where I said I was. The fact remains that if you think calling a company names is 'something meaningful', then you have an immature mentality.

Another thing, "not catering for gamers" is not an excuse to give a poor (read: non-optimal) line set-up to you're customers; stop defending sky with completely non-arguments. Every single person on this forum that is with sky seem to have sub-optimal sync rates, not even taking into account ping times.
      You seem to be a fan of huge generalisations. What you think is 'poor', as you use your time playing on-line games, will not be the same for most of Sky customers. You're paying pennies for a connection and now you're complaining about ping times? Look elsewhere if you want an ISP to prioritise gamers.

It's quite obvious that some people here on this forum seem to hold sky in high regard for some reason and are upset that someone is actually speaking the truth for once.
      No one's upset. Your arrogant demeanour is the reason I'm replying to you.

Seriously people stop attacking me just because I am showing frustration at the company because they have absurdly BAD customer service; the majority of their customer service team sound like they have never seen a computer/network before (not the guy today he was alright).
      Again with the generalisations. I'll take a guess that you've talked to about 10 advisors at very most? How you can come to the conclusion that most of the team 'sound like they haven't seen a computer/network before' is beyond me. If you were showing the same behaviour on the phone to Sky as you have in this thread, I'm not surprised that someone hasn't gone out of their way for you.

Thanks

I'm not offended, and I'd challenge you to quote where I said I was. The fact remains that if you think calling a company names is 'something meaningful', then you have an immature mentality.
      The fact that you think using a simple word or words in this way is "calling names" only shows how immature you're own mentality is because you are assuming I'm venting these words out of anger. Its nothing to do with anger its simply an adjective word serving the perfect purpose for the sentence it was entered into, not "name calling".

You seem to be a fan of huge generalisations. What you think is 'poor', as you use your time playing on-line games, will not be the same for most of Sky customers. You're paying pennies for a connection and now you're complaining about ping times? Look elsewhere if you want an ISP to prioritise gamers.
      I'm sorry but this is a pathetic excuse. Be provide a "value"service for comparable rates and so do many other ISPs. I have used one or two of these and also known people who have used Be/o2's own value service for the last few years; all of them have brilliant customer service/broadband service stories to tell, you're basically saying that because sky are providing their "best" package on the same price as other ISP's value packages it gives them an excuse to treat their customers like crap and provide a sub-par service.

No one's upset. Your arrogant demeanour is the reason I'm replying to you.
      If dis-satisfied with being treated like garbage by a company I'm paying each month and locked into a contract with is "arrogant" then so be it.

Again with the generalisations. I'll take a guess that you've talked to about 10 advisors at very most? How you can come to the conclusion that most of the team 'sound like they haven't seen a computer/network before' is beyond me. If you were showing the same behaviour on the phone to Sky as you have in this thread, I'm not surprised that someone hasn't gone out of their way for you.
      10? Why is the number important; the key point here is that all of the first tier advisor's seem to know absolutely nothing about the product they are dealing with. This is a major flaw in customer service and whether you like generalizations or not it is a valid one.

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      But if your expectation of said service was high in the first place then you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. Sky BB's target market were those who want to plug in a router and have it work - this was it.

The gamers then got onboard as it was cheap but soon realised that at the end of the day you pay for what you want. Other ISPs offer things like static IPs, fastpath, etc but you pay extra for them so your traffic can be prioritised.

I worked in CST for 3 years and had my fair share of people give me grief down the phone but seeing as I work in IT and can build systems in my sleep I know what I'm talking about. Out of interest, do you still have the issue with speed increasing when on the phone?
      I have been with Sky before many years ago and found them to not be this bad, my expectation was not as high as Be for sure... it was not as low as BT either; unfortunately it seems sky has spiralled in BT's direction. The reason I switched was to off-load some bills from someone else so that I could pay the line-rental/bb/tv as one package; in hindsight it would have been much better for me to stick with Be, as I have stated many times in this tread but I am locked into a contract until October time so bringing it up over and over serves no purpose.

On the issue of the re-sync / speed increasing when the phone is in use, it only happens sometimes which is what lead me to believe it was a phone line fault in the first place. They have now logged a new fault with Sky Talk to have it investigated.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The fact that you think using a simple word or words in this way is "calling names" only shows how immature you're own mentality is because you are assuming I'm venting these words out of anger. Its nothing to do with anger its simply an adjective word serving the perfect purpose for the sentence it was entered into, not "name calling".
      This doesn't make sense.

I'm sorry but this is a pathetic excuse. Be provide a "value"service for comparable rates and so do many other ISPs. I have used one or two of these and also known people who have used Be/o2's own value service for the last few years; all of them have brilliant customer service/broadband service stories to tell, you're basically saying that because sky are providing their "best" package on the same price as other ISP's value packages it gives them an excuse to treat their customers like crap and provide a sub-par service.
      If you think being 'treated like crap' is down to you not being provided with fastpath and conditions to satisfy you as a 'gamer', then I think you need to set your priorities a little differently.

10? Why is the number important; the key point here is that all of the first tier advisor's seem to know absolutely nothing about the product they are dealing with. This is a major flaw in customer service and whether you like generalizations or not it is a valid one.
      Again, a huge generalisation. There are a number of tier 1 advisors who know how to do their job and beyond just fine. Just because you've talked to some that are bad, does not mean that all of them are. That's like me suggesting that because you're so fussed about on-line gaming, that you're a no-life guy who sits in a dark room and plays games all day. A huge, silly generalisation.

On the issue of the re-sync / speed increasing when the phone is in use, it only happens sometimes which is what lead me to believe it was a phone line fault in the first place. They have now logged a new fault with Sky Talk to have it investigated.
      As I've already pinpointed in my first reply, this is the correct way to getting it resolved.

Now, I can't be bothered getting into a further argument and dissecting replies, as I've already done this with you on another thread before, if I remember correctly, and I'd rather not waste my time.

Thanks

/yawn

since you haven't read any of my previous posts properly (else you would understand why It is bad customer service and not change the subject onto generalizations) and haven't contributed anything to the thread without insulting me I won't bother any more.

Oh and a note about the topic, it was never about my ISSUE, nor did I ask you for advise on it I know/knew it was a line fault... the topic was about sky's generally low sync speeds for everyone on their system and the reasons behind it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123