Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I should be getting better results

This is a discussion on I should be getting better results within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It looks like there is a fault with your line or the router is faulty. Do you have another router ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: I should be getting better results

It looks like there is a fault with your line or the router is faulty. Do you have another router you could try? It would not need to connect to Sky, as long as it syncs with the exchange it will show the sync speed.
      With regards your line, do you hear any noise on the phone line? Try a quiet line test by dialling 17070 option 2 and and listen. Make sure nothing else is connected to the phone line and use a corded phone if at all possible.
      The amount of people connected to the exchange may effect your download speed on Connect, but it would not effect the sync speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Doddsy1975 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yapton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Red face Re: I should be getting better results

Well after some head banging and endless hours on the phone to sky I have had BT Openreach visit my house remove a load of wire that were not needed and the stats have now gone to: -

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 456464 657180 0 958 7061 28:42:45
      LAN 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      WLAN 694367 490072 0 312216 45208 00:40:06
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.5db 11.0db
      Noise Margin 8.1db 19.0db

My next problem I need help with is that I have my sky router connected to the master socket (this is fine for my wireless devices). Upstairs I have a second router that connects my desktop and home server together. The problem I now have is to link it together. I was going to run some CAT5 between the two router but the wife is not keen on this (doesn't like the site of wires). I know I could use home plugs but I dont have that sort of money spare in the run up to xmas.

I do however have two belkin routers(F5D7230-4, F5D7632-4) and an access point (F5D7130). Under my previous ISP I had the ADSL Router in the living room connect hardwire to Xbox 360 and an access point upstairs connected to the router for my desktop and server and they worked without a problem. Since getting sky I have gone round in circles trying to setup the hardware in a similar manner but no joy.

Can anybody help suggest a way of connecting this lot together (with my existing hardware preferably although I am open to suggestions)

Thanks in advance

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

You're on Connect, though, which is always going to be terrible
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The easiest way would be to use your F5D7632-4 to connect to the internet as before and put the Sky router on a shelf just in case you need it. Although it is against the T & Cs to use your own router Sky don't seem to bother. You can find out all you need to know about connecting your own router in the Technical Section, this post in particular. - Non-Sky Router Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12