Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DLM issue???? Possible easy fix found!!!!

This is a discussion on DLM issue???? Possible easy fix found!!!! within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Possible easy fix found!!!! Call Sky, but do stay up to 2-3am, story below............. Had slow speed issue for past ...

jamesmark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: So far away I am closer to the moon!!!
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Talking DLM issue???? Possible easy fix found!!!!

Possible easy fix found!!!!

Call Sky, but do stay up to 2-3am, story below.............

Had slow speed issue for past 2 weeks, done all the checks I knew and nothing. Found this site and the amount I learnt and tried with the detailed threads helped me a lot.

Turned out my issues was with DLM, it took 1Mb DL speed off me, now I know that is not a lot to the big boys up at 7+Mb, but when you live in the sticks and appx 2.6 miles from exchange then 1Mb is a lot.

Best advice is stop farting about and creating threads and do something about it!!! I followed the advice on here and waited up till just after 2 in the morning (as this is when you get the best people and it is quiet).

And the guys on here were right, spoke to Sky just after 2, told them I may have lost out on this DLM and I am a gamer, also how I used to get 3Mb and can they put me back on G.DMT. It was done there and then whilst I was on the phone.

Very please with Sky!!!!

(Disclaimer: Calling Sky may not resolve issue, but you have to try)

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: DLM issue???? Possible easy fix found!!!!

I don't want to rain on your parade James, but your speed is still very low for your attenuation. You should be getting at least 4-5Mb. Can you plug into your test socket and take your stats from there.

I have replied here rather than in the thread where you give your stats as follows.
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3008 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 11 db

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

No worries re raining on my parade mate, I know going my line attenuation I should have quicker speeds but if was that simple it would be great.

I am connected to the Goldthorpe Exchange it is an old miners area, so we are always the last to get anything new.

We only got new cable 2 years ago in our street as it was underground and was getting flooded every year, that took them 3 years to do the work. So God only knows what the quality of the line is after my street.

My lines max according to Sky & BT (previous BBP) is 3.5mb. But I am happy with my 3mb, I am never in that much of a rush for downloads

Thanks

Have you tried the Test socket?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you tried the Test socket?
      Yes, I was on test socket when I was on the phone to Sky. All wiring in house was done in past 3-4 years as it was very old. BT Facelift filter fitted where BT landline (Aug 08) comes in and Modem is connected directly to that via 2m extension (cannot get around that as where box is, modem will still need to go on ext due to front door).

Results are same no matter if it is on 2m extension or not and whether I am in the test socket or not.

Thanks

If you are connected to a filtered faceplate, there is not much else you can do.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are connected to a filtered faceplate, there is not much else you can do.
      Kinda thought that, as was considering maybe getting better cable for the ext the Modem has to go on as it is just normal phone wire. Also new facelift box, the XF-1e I think it was? To replace the BT one.

But that will possible not help me that much. (Same mindset as a boyracer that thinks adding an airfilter will give 1 million BHP lol)

Thanks

The xf-1e is just a plug in filter the same as supplied by Sky, except it is high quality. What you want is one of these- XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

If you have to place the router a distance from the socket you could use a high quality RJ1 Cable such as this - Belkin Hi-speed Internet Modem Double Shielded CAT 5 Cable 7.6m - Ebuyer

These items are not just cosmetic, they will improve your broadband.

TomD

Useful Utilites