Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line keeps reverting back to DLM cap (after having it uncapped)

This is a discussion on Line keeps reverting back to DLM cap (after having it uncapped) within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My line is was stable at around 4.5Mbit before DLM kicked in. The DLM training period finished at the end ...

noikz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Line keeps reverting back to DLM cap (after having it uncapped)

My line is was stable at around 4.5Mbit before DLM kicked in. The DLM training period finished at the end of June and capped me at 3.5Mbit (I'd been resetting my router as I knew nothing of the DLM process at that time).

I called up to have the cap put upto 4.5-5Mbit and was surprised at how easy and quickly this was done. A week passed and my line remained connected constantly... until one afternoon where it had reverted back to the DLM limit of 3.5Mbit, again I called Sky and the CST agreed it was ok at 4.5Mbit and reset the limit, this was ok (with no disconnections) for another week until AGAIN it reverted back to 3.5Mbit yesterday.

I again called Sky and was put through to an operator in CST who said that my line shouldn't even be at 3.5Mbit and was trying to drop it even lower and explained that because it was "unstable" it risked taking out the whole DSLAM I argued for around half an hour and was put through to someone else who instantly put my line back to 4.5Mbit (again)

SNR @ 3.5Mbit = 17db daytime and 14db at night.
      SNR @ 4.5Mbit = 12db daytime and 10 at night.

Seems strange that it's always reverting back to 3.5Mbit (which was the limit set by the DLM training period) despite CST constantly resetting the cap to 4.5Mbit. Before DLM my line would never synch that low.

2. Advertisement
      newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Line keeps reverting back to DLM cap (after having it uncapped)

Is this not DLM doing its job and monitoring lines. I remember someone saying that there was no guarantee that a manual reset would not be overridden by DLM.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

dt101187 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Line keeps reverting back to DLM cap (after having it uncapped)

dlm stands for dynamic line management skys version of BTs RAMBO
      it sucks and they have it messing up ppls lines sticks them on adsl2 and half of them wont sync on adsl2 and the it will come to the conclusion line unstable then cst change to gdmt put a cap according to the attenuation and the line is magicaly stable...
      for a really stable connection u should bee looking at 10 on ur snr at the noisest of times. leaves a nice comfort zone realy helps with keepin the error count down.

reseting the router will cause dlm to think the line lost sync and then lower the speed to try and get it back. you should leave the router off for about 5-10 min or so every 2-3 weeks