Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

What Is DLM? Everything you need to know.

This is a discussion on What Is DLM? Everything you need to know. within the Sky & DLM forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; DLM - Dynamic Line Management. Dynamic Line Management (or DLM ) is the collective term for the automated system that ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

What Is DLM? Everything you need to know.

DLM - Dynamic Line Management.

Dynamic Line Management (or DLM) is the collective term for the automated system that logs information about your line's performance, and processes that are used to stabilise the line. DLM uses the information it gathers about disconnections and reconnections as well as error statistics to establish what speeds are likely to be most stable for your particular line. It may also determine that interleaving should be activated on your line if not already present. It should be noted that frequently restarting your router or modem may be interpreted by the DLM as a problem and may subsequently reduce the controlled line rate.

If DLM can see that a connection can support an increase in speed it may increase your speed upwards. If a connection becomes unstable then DLM will reduce the speed and attempt to re-stabalise the connection by adjusting the line's parameters, of which there are several, speed will be one of them.

Why is this DLM happening?

DLM is being used to stabilise the line quality between the router and the DSLAM in the BT exchange. The reasons for this can be many, but it is often to condition lines to be able to support data that is not tolerant of line errors and router re-syncs. Examples would include VOIP and Streaming Video, there are others too. Generally, web browsing, email, file transfer and general downloads are not noticeably affected by line errors (that are corrected by the line protocols) and so may have existed unnoticed previously.

But I don't want those other services, I am happy with what I have now.

An ISP will generally perform this kind of work on it's entire network. There is no current means of pre-registration to be excluded from DLM. It may, however, be possible for you to have your previous settings restored after DLM (see below).

How Do I know If DLM Is Running On My Line?

The tell tell signs of DLM is the 412/794* upload stream rates, your speed may vary throughout the day.

How Long Does the DLM process last?

The DLM process can take up to 20 days or even longer in extreme circumstances. But its usually 10 days min.

Great I'm On DLM , Should I Leave My Router On?

This is probably one of the most important things you as a customer can do. To ensure the DLM process is uninterrupted you must leave your Sky Wireless Router on at all times during the DLM process!

If you disconnect, power cycle or reboot your router the DLM process may class these actions as a disconnection and could the reduce the line speed even more.

What Type Of Speed Can I Expect?

You should expect anything within 1MEG of what your line was achieving before the DLM.

Is there anything else I can do?

Yes, you should (as soon as you can now you've read this) check that you do not have any internal extension wiring problems. There are guides on this forum to help check and resolve wiring problems which may be interpreted by DLM as a poor quality line and subject you to a lower speed than your line should be capable of supporting. Visit our Cabling and Faceplate forum here.

What shouldn't I do?

Apart from not messing around with your router during DLM you really should not bother calling into Sky CST and asking to have your speed reset to its former value. Even if you persuade the CST to do this, while DLM is running it will automatically be set to whatever DLM decides it should be.

DLM has finished on my line, but the speed it very slow. Can I do anything about it?

Yes. Once DLM is complete on your line you should make a call in to Sky and ask for your line to be manually set to a higher speed. Sky's current policy is to set the line to within 1Mbps of what it was prior to DLM (NB: This may change). Or you can use this online form.

Will I be put under DLM again?

It is quite possible that DLM will be run on your line again in the future. It is a permanent feature of the network and will identify and work on any lines that drift out of tolerance. This can, in some cases, work in your favour if your physical line quality improves - for example, after you repair any internal wiring faults.

With thanks to Monday for the original suggestion, and those that have submitted info to myself via PM.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 04-07-08 at 08:54 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: What Is DLM? Everything you need to know.

Cool - now at least some of Skys customers have an idea of whats going on - shame they couldnt have released a statement themselves though. Well done guys.

x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      shame they couldnt have released a statement themselves though.
      Well said, whatever happened to the statement they were going to release to this site?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

We gave up waiting for it, I am afraid. I have chased it up and was told, will get back to you soon. That was about ten days ago.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Fair enough, I guess they have a lot on their plate at the moment.

astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

having spoken to customer solutions team today they phoned me to check how my connection was doing.
      he was very apologetic for all the problems he also said the whole DLM trial had been a waste of time and that they may not be rolling it out to every one.
      The fact customers were migrating away because of DLM, was counter productive it was meant to make the BB experiences better not worse,this was from one person in CST i don't know if its true or just waffle...
      Only time will tell i guess

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x LAGER LOUT x View Post
      Fair enough, I guess they have a lot on their plate at the moment.
      The cynic in me says if they have a lot on their plate at the moment it must be because of dlm as they have not done anything else to create extra work for themselves. Therefore they get no sympathy from me - communication would have negated the need for people to ring with their problems / complaints.

Thanks

I agree totally, however I'm one of the lucky one I guess. My downstream speed has pretty much stayed the same, my upstream speed has increased, my ping has dropped. Actually, my stats haven't changed from the minute they implemented DLM on my line.

burnhamlad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnham (THBN)
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This sort of information is going to be meaningless to the vast majority of your "joe average" type of Sky Broadband customer, hence why they don't probably send statements about DLM to all customers.

Luckily for us, Sky User fills the gap!

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky should have used SRA for adsl2+ customers (that gives stability in a better way) and for adsl1 customers maybe just set a more conservative default noise margin so less lines are at risk. From what I have read on this forum so far DLM has increased work for tech support not reduced it.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 16-12-13, 08:17 PM
    2. 11-12-13, 11:49 PM
    3. 11-12-13, 08:47 PM
    4. 12-07-13, 01:51 AM
    5. 16-04-13, 04:13 PM
    6. 15-04-13, 02:59 PM
    7. 07-03-13, 02:19 AM
    8. 04-03-12, 07:08 PM
    9. 11-11-11, 06:21 PM
    10. 31-10-10, 03:01 PM