Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By MttJocy

Using PC as router to access on demand

This is a discussion on Using PC as router to access on demand within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am using an old HD box as my multiroom box in my bedroom but I dont have a wired ...

hungledink is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Urmston, Mch
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Using PC as router to access on demand

I am using an old HD box as my multiroom box in my bedroom but I dont have a wired internet connection point in that room to use for on demand services. I have a PC in that room however which does have a wireless internet connection.

I am trying to use the pc as a router so the sky box can use the internet connection via the PC.

I've been able to get the sky box to see the internet connection because it says its connected in the network menu however I cant get the on demand to work, it keeps showing fail.

I guess there must be some setting I need to adjust. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Using PC as router to access on demand

Have you connected the box to the PC using an ethernet cable and set the PC to share its internet connection? If you are getting a good wifi signal in your bedroom then you would be better buying a wireless adapter for the Sky box.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

MttJocy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNWEL - Wellington, Shropshire
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: No TV
      Thanks

I presume that @hungledink most likely already found a solution in their case but a few thoughts in case anyone else comes along that is looking to re-purpose an old PC into a router.

In such a simple case as the above @Isitme is probably right that there are simpler ways of doing this task and at any rate it should pretty much just work with a basic internet connection sharing config if going down that route.

That said I could see how someone could stumble on this post looking for ideas to do a bit more than simply proxy traffic between two internal interfaces.

For a real dedicated router for example if you need to handle routing over more interfaces, firewall capabilities and similar features it would be better to reinstall the old desktop windows system entirely with something like linux or FreeBSD. Now if you are one of the technical types like me that is completely comfortable rolling their own armed with a Linux CD and a HowTo then Google is your friend no point repeating resources that can be found all over the net.

On the other hand the majority of users might be interested to consider some of the following options that could transform that old PC currently serving as a paperweight into a fully featured modern router rivalling high end routers for free or at least as little as the cost of an Ethernet/Wifi card or two that can be picked up for very little.

There are linux and BSD distros out there which are tailor made for this job complete with the familiar web interface for all configuration like you would find on any pre built router, basically the PC answer to OpenWRT and similar.

Linux based:
      Smoothwall - Features, Screenshots
      IPfire - About & Screenshots

BSD based:
      pfSense - Features, Can be easy to overlook the download link at first glance since the site puts it's custom hardware appliances up front since that's how the company makes money but heh can't blame them for that, can just as easily run the free software on a humble PC though.

Just wanted to share those since they are not as well known as say OpenWRT and not that easy to find without knowing first to look so hoping that it might be of interest to some people.
      Isitme likes this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Interesting post, but the OP was looking for a method to extend his wireless. He probably used the wrong context when he referred to using the PC as a router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

MttJocy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNWEL - Wellington, Shropshire
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: No TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Interesting post, but the OP was looking for a method to extend his wireless. He probably used the wrong context when he referred to using the PC as a router.
      This is true, that's what I meant when I said that in the OP's use case what you said made sense, the rest was just some thoughts that came to mind which might be useful to others that might land here by searching given the topic description.

Guess that maybe could have posted it in a new thread but didn't think of that at the time lol.