Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

On Demand is it free?

This is a discussion on On Demand is it free? within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have phone and fibre Broadband package with Sky, looking at My Sky it says I can have On Demand ...

dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

On Demand is it free?

I have phone and fibre Broadband package with Sky, looking at My Sky it says I can have On Demand at no extra charge using a Sky+HD box.
      Well I have borrowed one and it does not bring up the ON Demand systems and programs when clicking the On Demand from the EPG. It asks me to ring Sky.
      I had hoped at least it would get me the BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and CH4 On Demand.
      Maybe it is the Sky website that is badly worded, if I do contact Sky will I be asked to pay?
      Thanks
      David

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: On Demand is it free?

Quote Originally Posted by dnpark38 View Post
      I have phone and fibre Broadband package with Sky, looking at My Sky it says I can have On Demand at no extra charge using a Sky+HD box.
      Well I have borrowed one and it does not bring up the ON Demand systems and programs when clicking the On Demand from the EPG. It asks me to ring Sky.
      I had hoped at least it would get me the BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and CH4 On Demand.
      Maybe it is the Sky website that is badly worded, if I do contact Sky will I be asked to pay?
      Thanks
      David
      You need a Sky+ subscription for bbc iplayer to work this is 10 per month.
      For all other catch-up services you need the minimum Sky subscription package @ 21.50 per month.

dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks.
      Well that's the end of that idea then.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER or is it?
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

plenty of subscription free boxes out there that offer good on demand stuff through freeview and/or freesat. I have a freesat/freetime box that does main 5 catchup channels+youtube and in combination with my popcorn hour for other stuff I have no need nor do I miss Sky TV at all. Although on some series I now have to find and download them rather than letting series record do the work. Even that 9.99 box(damn the hdmi cable is probably worth that) from sky is good enough for basic catchup (i use one upstairs), you can always put fake details in if you don't want to share your details, at the minute there is no itv on it though (which they don't make very clear). Sky make a big deal about their on demand/box sets but because of licensing a large chunk of cool programs are never available or only available for like 9 days, much better to source your own content to keep for as long as you see fit and watch when you want from a decent player such as the popcorn hour.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

coupu : It is down to the providers, not Sky, to ensure that the content is available for longer periods.

So in the case of content availability on the BBC iPlayer, this is down to the BBC. It is they who decide what will be available and for how long.

Having said this, it has previously been noted that some films are not always available on the different OD sections. However if you were to look at the Sky Store you will find the same film there for say 99p or 1.49.

dnpark38 : As for other sources, dedicated Freesat STBs have been mentioned, but there are quite a few others available now too.

Many TVs have all the four main UK providers now in their built-in applications (or you can download them). The Boxee from D-Link is another good source or you could connect a PC to your TV. For 10 the Now TV box will also stream some OD content. There are many others out there.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I made it perfectly clear it was due to licensing, which is why I recommended securing content to watch on your own terms.

Thanks

I could not confirm whether it is due to licensing issues or otherwise.

What I can confirm is that the content which is made available on the Sky+ HD STB via the On Demand and Box Sets sections is controlled but the different providers.

If the BBC chooses to make their own content available for a short period then this is their choice. They own the writes!

Looking today I see that Silk is only available until 7th April on the Sky STB, on-line and via my TV's app. Last night's The One Show expires 24th March on each platform. This is a little inconsistent.

In the cases shown above the content is entirely under the control of the BBC as they own the material.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Nothing is free from Sly.

Everything is included in the extortionate subscription.

Thanks

Yep, not just BBC and main channels though. I was disappointed that many Sky (well secured by Sky anyway) across the pond series aren't available such as Simpsons etc... and lots of Sci Fi stuff that I love. Many of Sky's channels just don't feature at all in the on demand section, and whilst Sky have made a good start, that should be made much clearer in advertising. 4od has a back catalogue of sorts but is far from perfect too. I guess sky will just have to start negotiating for more rights when securing future stuff, but that will cost more and = higher subs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      Nothing is free from Sly.

Everything is included in the extortionate subscription.
      I guess that opinions will vary on this.

Sure if you want to use the hard drive in your Sky+ or Sky+ HD STB then it will cost to enable this feature, which was answered for the OP. Personally if someone doesn't want to subscribe to Sky, even in order to record things, then I would recommend a Freesat+ or Freesat+ HD STB. This way they do not need to pay any monthly subscriptions, other than the TV license.

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      Yep, not just BBC and main channels though. I was disappointed that many Sky (well secured by Sky anyway) across the pond series aren't available such as Simpsons etc... and lots of Sci Fi stuff that I love. Many of Sky's channels just don't feature at all in the on demand section, and whilst Sky have made a good start, that should be made much clearer in advertising. 4od has a back catalogue of sorts but is far from perfect too. I guess sky will just have to start negotiating for more rights when securing future stuff, but that will cost more and = higher subs.
      The Simpsons is a sore point. I think that the contract for this was made several years ago and at that time on-line content wasn't considered. You can't view The Simpsons via Sky Go either.

Most of Sky's own channels are now available via the OD and Box Set sections. They have been quietly adding more and more. Unfortunately you won't know that as you no longer subscribe to Sky. Just looking in my planner at the moment and I have the following in the CUTV section:

BBC iPlayer, ITV, 4oD, Demand 5, Sky TV (Sky 1, Atlantic, Living, Arts (1 & 2), News), Sky Movies, Sky Sports, Watch, Gold, Dave, Comedy Centrol, Universal, SyFy, Fox, TLC, MTV, alibi, E!, Lifetime, Eurosport, Discovery, Nat Geo, History, CO, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Nickelodeon, Disney XD, Disdney Channel, Disney Junior, Nick Jr, Cartoonito and Star Network (Plus & Life OK).

As for what Channel 4 decide to allow users of the Sky+ HD STB have access to, this is not under Sky's control. It is entirely up to Channel 4. There may be an old film which Sky will have in the store which Channel 4 shows. This will not be in Channel 4's CUTV or OD content. Otherwise everything else is entirely within their control, not Sky's.