Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is the Sky Mini Wireless Connector compatible with my Sky+HD box?

This is a discussion on Is the Sky Mini Wireless Connector compatible with my Sky+HD box? within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have an Amstrad DRX780 Sky+HD box. I have just bought an On Demand wireless connector and the one that ...

ToeKnee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Andover
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Question Is the Sky Mini Wireless Connector compatible with my Sky+HD box?

I have an Amstrad DRX780 Sky+HD box.

I have just bought an On Demand wireless connector and the one that arrived in the post today was a Mini Wireless Connector that connects to the Sky box via USB.

I have just spent over an hour on the phone with someone from Sky trying to get the box to detect the connector and connect to my router.
      He insisted that his computer did not say that my box is incompatible with the Mini Wireless Connector.

On the Sky web site it says "Only box versions beginning with 4F31 (Amstrad DRX890 or DRX895) are compatible with the On Demand Connector MINI."

My box is version is 4F3006. Model number is R008.063.68.00P.

Following instructions I updated the system software on my Sky box and the version was still the same.

When I press the WPS buttons on both the router and Wireless Mini Connector nothing happens.
      I know that WPS works OK on the router because I set up another device this way a few days ago.

According to the Sky web site I should be able to configure the wireless settings manually using the "Connect with Password" option on the Network settings page. I don't see this option - only "Reset" and "Manual IP Configuration" which just allows me to configure IP address and subnet mask for a wired connection.

I can not enter the wireless SSID and WPA password anywhere.

The Sky support representative concluded the the Wireless Mini Connector must be faulty and is sending me another.

I doubt that this will make a difference.

I asked if Sky still do the older Wireless Connector that connects via ethernet but he said that all boxes now use the USB mini connector.

What should I do?

2. Advertisement
      ToeKnee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Andover
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Re: Is the Sky Mini Wireless Connector compatible with my Sky+HD box?

Problem solved!

I found the details on the Sky web site

Box versions beginning with 4F31 (Amstrad DRX890 or DRX895) are compatible with the On Demand Connector MINI.

Box versions beginning with 4F30 (Amstrad DRX780), 9730 (Samsung) or 9F30 (Pace) needs the On Demand Connector and not the On Demand Connector MINI.

I called Sky back and persuaded them of the error of their ways and they are sending me the older On Demand connector (not mini) that connects to the Sky box via Ethernet.

Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Is the Sky Mini Wireless Connector compatible with my Sky+HD box?

That was my help on the official Sky community
      Annie 🦋..........
      My Sky+HD FAQ
      (now with more questions)
      My Sky hardware and setup
      The links above are only available between 9am and 10pm (UK)