Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

On demand box drops connection

This is a discussion on On demand box drops connection within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have an old style (mini sky+) wireless connector. Ever since I had it, it repeatedly drops the connection to ...

foxy1305 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

On demand box drops connection

I have an old style (mini sky+) wireless connector. Ever since I had it, it repeatedly drops the connection to the router. Unplugging and plugging back in cures the problem each time. The dropping is getting more frequent so I contacted Sky for a replacement. I am being told that it must be over 2 years old as I paid 59.00 for it and they havent been seeilling that box at that price for at least 2 years, so its outside of warranty. I take issue with this as I bought it from Sky this year. Unfortunately they have no record of my purchase and I cant find anything online either. I know the new box is 'only' 21.00 but its the principle I dont like.
      So two questions. Am I right that I would have paid 59 for this box within the last 12 months or is my memory totally shot!
      And why does my current box keep loosing its connection. Is there a way of checking if its a hardware connector or router problem. Has this been a recognised problem. Is the new style box 'better' For info I am fully Sky broadband with their router etc as well
      Thanks for any advice

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: On demand box drops connection

If you paid 59 for it it was over 2 years ago and is probably a version 1 adapter. The price of these was reduced first to 20 then 10 when the Version 2 box was being introduced. The Version 2 box was then increased to around 22 and remained at that until the Version 3(mini adapter) was introduced.

Unfortunately the older wireless G routers and adapters were not too good and were prone to loosing the connection. The newer Wireless N routers and adapters are much better. However the best way to connect is by ethernet, either through a cable or homeplugs. You can pick up homeplugs for about 25 and I would recommend you try these rather than mess around with wireless,
      ZyXEL PLA4201 v2 500 Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter (Pack of 2) - Aria PC

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.