Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky apps won't connect unless via Devolo Homeplugs' WIFI

This is a discussion on Sky apps won't connect unless via Devolo Homeplugs' WIFI within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; If you're interested, I tried seawright's suggestion, but using an old router as an AP rather than the wireless connector. ...

Jack_Hennety is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DGND3700v2
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky apps won't connect unless via Devolo Homeplugs' WIFI

If you're interested, I tried seawright's suggestion, but using an old router as an AP rather than the wireless connector. So, the old router was connected by ethernet to the current one, and enabled as an access point. I could then connect to its WIFI on the iPad, and it connected to the internet ok. Then I tried the Sky+ app, which wouldn't find the Sky box. Changed the WIFI on the iPad to the Devolo WIFI: instant connection to the Sky box.

Which means the Devolo AP and the old router AP, each connected via ethernet, are not working in the same way, and that means that it's the homeplugs that the Sky+ app can't cope with (I think!).

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Hennety View Post
      If you're interested, I tried seawright's suggestion, but using an old router as an AP rather than the wireless connector. So, the old router was connected by ethernet to the current one, and enabled as an access point. I could then connect to its WIFI on the iPad, and it connected to the internet ok. Then I tried the Sky+ app, which wouldn't find the Sky box. Changed the WIFI on the iPad to the Devolo WIFI: instant connection to the Sky box.
      I have tried with a Sky wireless adapter but I could not get it to connect to another wireless device operating in ad-hoc mode so no point in retrieving yours from the attic. I'm using Belkin home plugs to connect one of my Sky boxes but they do not have a wifi capability.
      Which means the Devolo AP and the old router AP, each connected via ethernet, are not working in the same way, and that means that it's the homeplugs that the Sky+ app can't cope with (I think!).
      Unless your old router has the same problem that it will not bridge multicast packets between wifi and ethernet. Don't know what else to suggest unless there is a network guru reading this who has any better idea how to resolve whether it's the router or the home plugs that are causing the problem.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Reading elsewhere, there may be a firmware update for your HomePlugs. Can I suggest that you double check the manufacturer's website and see if this is the case?

If so, please do apply it. It might be in Beta, but it should resolve a few issues.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Jack_Hennety is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DGND3700v2
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well wouldn't you know it, today Sky release 4.3.5 of the Sky+ app for iPad (one of the features being 'improved connectivity') and it works fine.

So now they just need to update the Android version likewise and I'm sorted.

Nighthawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nuneaton
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have experienced the same problem with develo home plugs. If I connect to the router wifi I cannot connect to other devices on the network that are wired to the router (nas drive, sonos, printer). If I connect via the develo wireless network then can see all devices as if I can see all devices on the wired network, but the sky router wifi cannot see them. I only gas this problem after upgrading to fibre. My older sky routers worked fine. I think it is a sky router firmware issue.

Nighthawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nuneaton
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I may have a solution for this for fibre users. After scanning online for similar issues I found a suggested fix. In the router settings WAN Setup mode change from auto to WANOE ONLY. This then gives a picture showing which port must be used for connecting to the Bt openreach box (the lower Ethernet port). It us reported that a firewall operates on all of the Ethernet ports. But if the WANOE only option is used then this only applies to the one port. I don't know if this is correct, but I could connect immediately to other devices after changing this setting. If I subsequently find that this hasn't worked I will re-post.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

@Nighthawk Would you please post a link to the source of the info about the firewall operation when in WANoE mode?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12