Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sky`s wireless connector problem

This is a discussion on Sky`s wireless connector problem within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have a problem connecting my new Sky Wireless connector to my BT Infinity Hub The , the unit had ...

DRUMGOR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: BT HUB 3
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky`s wireless connector problem

I have a problem connecting my new Sky Wireless connector to my BT Infinity Hub

The , the unit had only 1 light showing, it found my BT Hub but after many failed attempts with the following error message , Problem Connecting to Network.

I spoke to a Sky tech support supervisor Mary who was very helpful but with many more attempts to connect this also failed.

Note, i have a cheap wireless bridge on another Sky Box and it works perfectly.

Anyone can Help please.

Douglas

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky`s wireless connector problem

Usual problem is difficulty entering password using Sky remote. As a temporary measure simplify the password that your router is expecting and try again. Remember that the password is case sensitive and that the remote produces capitals before lower case.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There was a method posted very recently to simplify the process of connecting to a router which requires complicated passwords, as most of the BT Hubs do. Unplug the wireless adapter from the Sky box and plug it into your PC in place of the router ethernet connection. Open a browser and type http://skywirelessconnector in the address bar and hit enter. That should take you into the setup for the connector. Put in addresses to suit your router.

I think I have got that correct, but I will have another look for the original post and edit if necessary.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

cas21 (24-04-13)

cas21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Netgear DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

A HUGE thankyou for this post. I have had endless problems setting up Sky wireless connector for On Demand. Initially, I had problems entering the WEP password for my wireless network using the remote, and then all future attempts gave error: Network failed, and the Sky box couldn't find any networks. After 2 hours on a support call, following instructions to perform all sorts of resets, restarts, etc to no avail, I was informed I would have to contact my ISP. I did not accept the fault lay with my wireless network (which was working perfectly well with 3 devices), and eventually I was sent new connector. Same problem- no networks found. I spent 2 days trawling the net to find lots of other users with the same problem but no solution. I did change my wireless security to WPA- PSK just to shorten the length of the password to 8 characters, but had no way of entering the password as the TV didn't display the network. Then finally, the magic code to get into the connector. I connected the Sky connector to my router using the ethernet cable, typed the URL as given above, logged in using admin, sky and was then able to enter my wireless network password. When I attached the connector to my Sky box after a short delay, the wireless light lit up and the On Demand menu was available. Sky should be adding this to their trouble shooting section!

plummit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury
      Broadband ISP: Plus.net
      Router: Netgear DG834g v5
      Thanks

I had a good On Demand connection with a Netgear wireless connector supplied by Sky. This has now failed. They sent a replacement under warrenty This one SC201 made by Sky. Now the connector will not accept my password and thus no connection. I have tried all the tricks I can to get it to connect. Reboots rebuilds restarts etc. etc. Still getting the double fail. When I started I had both the white lights showing now I have only the power light. The STB tells me it can find my network but the password will not stick.The STB connects fine if I use an incredibly long Ethernet cable and hard connect to router. The settings on the router are exactly the same as with the old wireless connector. WEP64, open system Netgear DG834g v5 all other wireless connections perfect just this Sky Connector. Sky are blaming my IP, my router, me (ie putting password in wrong) but giving no solutions. Has anybody else had this problem when going from the Old connector to this new one.

Thanks

Did you try try suggestion in post #3?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes. Got in and tried to configure but the box will not accept the password. Whether it be by the letters or the number translation.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Can you connect other wi-fi devices to your SR101 using the same password? I'm not sure whether the Sky Wireless connector supports WEP. Have you tried WPA2?

Thanks

All my devices connect perfectly with the router using WEP and the previous wireless connector also had no problems. Since the SR101 cannot log in to the router using wifi its academic as to whether another wifi device can contact it. The mainframe can, via a hard router connection but it hasn't helped as the password will not stick. Have they changed something so that the connectors no longer support WEP. I haven't tried WPA2 mainly because I don't wish to upset my other devices which are quite happy where they are. If I can get a definite "they have changed the encryption standard" I will know I need to find another way to connect rather than straight wifi. There is absolutely nothing in the instructions or on the Sky website or even the support blogs about security settings. Helpful lot.

Thanks

There is a good chance it is the encryption that is causing the problem. I believe the new connector is wireless N standard and this does not support WEP. You best bet would be to disable the encryption on the Hub completely and see if you can connect to it. If you can, then that is the problem.

TomD

Useful Utilites

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

plummit (10-08-13)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast