Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sky`s wireless connector problem

This is a discussion on Sky`s wireless connector problem within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; No problem. Yes Sky's support staff should know more, but most of the people on the first line of defence ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts
      No problem.

Yes Sky's support staff should know more, but most of the people on the first line of defence know very little.

As a forum we try to offer the range of technical knowledge that is unbiased where possible but also without the restrictions they have.

Basically we can advise how to do things well without being tied to Sky's solutions.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky`s wireless connector problem

I still think your best bet would be to disable the security on your router and see if you can connect. This would confirm if it is the security that is stopping the connection. It is possible you have a duff connector and it has nothing to do with wireless N.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

plummit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury
      Broadband ISP: Plus.net
      Router: Netgear DG834g v5
      Thanks

I fear not. My router only supports b and g so N standard would not connect whatever security was used. On investigating the standard N it seems it does not support WEP so I fall on both hurdles. The previous Netgear Sky connector was G standard so that was OK on both counts. Now I know I shall get a router switch and some homeplugs and work with that until I am ready to upgrade my router. My beef is that the Sd201 was a replacement under guarantee for the original Netgear and no mention in any paperwork or in the box about the change in Wireless Standard. Even when I fought my way on the phone to engineering support (that is through the first two lines of parrots) nobody mentioned the change in standard they just kept harping on about my password and how I must be putting it in wrong. We even got to rebooting the Sky remote handset as a last resort. Its madness just one extra line in their telephone script would have saved me a lot of money in support phone calls. I shall still be miffed for some time.

Thanks

According to the WiFi certification, the adapter should support b,g and n. Find it here-
      https://certifications.prod.wi-fi.or...d?cid=WFA15738

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

However if you finally find the spec on Sky's site which I did with help from this site you find it is classed as Wifi 2.4Ghz 802.11n the " n " being the important bit. Your document is from July 1012. These new ones are SC201. I cannot find a certification doc for these with a more up to date certificate. Sky part code 14960. My original Sky/Netgear one was b and g. I got that 3 months ago so it failed within guarantee this one is a replacement. My router does not support N wireless standard and as I have said before I have no wish to change it at this time. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Excellent find the Tom.

Reading a little more in that spec and WEP is not listed in the security options, just WPA and WPA2.

Quote Originally Posted by plummit View Post
      However if you finally find the spec on Sky's site which I did with help from this site you find it is classed as Wifi 2.4Ghz 802.11n the " n " being the important bit. Your document is from July 1012. These new ones are SC201. I cannot find a certification doc for these with a more up to date certificate. Sky part code 14960. My original Sky/Netgear one was b and g. I got that 3 months ago so it failed within guarantee this one is a replacement. My router does not support N wireless standard and as I have said before I have no wish to change it at this time. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
      WiFi n signals should be compatible with WiFi g. It doesn't cover security.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Here is the list from WiFi certification. If you scroll down the list to AirTies Wireless Networks, the actual manufacturer, this is the Sky connector, model number SC201. Most devices capable of wireless N are suffixed with N but this does not mean that is all it is capable of. Many, if not all are backwards compatible with b and g.
      Certified Products Search Results | Wi-Fi Alliance

On the certificate, page 2, you will see that the Security options are WPA™ - Personal and WPA2™ - Personal. It does not support WEP.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

That is then the root of the matter. As long as some devices eg. early Humax are still usable and WEP is required this Connector will not function with such a system. When I do eventually upgrade the router and edit devices out then the connector will be OK till that time it will be homeplugs and switches for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123