Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky`s wireless connector problem

This is a discussion on Sky`s wireless connector problem within the Sky On Demand forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Thanks for that. I shall go and investigated the wireless N standard as related to these connectors if I can. ...

plummit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury
      Broadband ISP: Plus.net
      Router: Netgear DG834g v5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky`s wireless connector problem

Thanks for that. I shall go and investigated the wireless N standard as related to these connectors if I can. Messing with the router settings is definitely an option of last resort only to be indulged in when I have run out of hedge to take my temper out on.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Turning off the Security is not in the least difficult. Just go to the Wireless setup, and select the option to Disable the security options. I am not suggesting you accept this is a final solution, only to check if you can then connect. I would advise you to change your security mode to WPA at the very least, WPA2 with AES if you have it available. WEP can be cracked in a matter of minutes with the correct software.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

plummit (10-08-13)

Thanks

Thanks. I live in the middle of fields anybody wanting to crack my wireless would stick out sitting in a car in the hay field. And nobody would try to stop over in the main road as their survival rate would not be good. I have however now found out that the specs. for the new connector do say that it is only N standard which my router does not support so its back in the box and find another system to connect.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

You have a few options available still.

The first one would be an Ethernet cable. Fitted nicely behind the wall you wouldn't notice it.

An alternative option would be to replace your router with a WiFi n router. The WiFi signal would be much stronger too for any other devices.

Another on my list would be a pait of HomePlugs.

Finally there is a WiFi g dongle that you could use: Vonets VAP11G WiFi Bridge Dongle - Wireless Networks Access Point: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

plummit (10-08-13)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plummit View Post
      All my devices connect perfectly with the router using WEP and the previous wireless connector also had no problems. Since the SR101 cannot log in to the router using wifi its academic as to whether another wifi device can contact it.
      The reason I was asking if another wi-fi device was able to connect to your router was in case you had performed a factory reset on your router as part of your investigation and not realised that this would also reset your router/access point's wi-fi password.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

plummit (10-08-13)

Thanks

Ah ha. No I strongly resist messing with my router settings. I have a Panasonic blue ray Hard disc recorder which is nicely settled with my present settings but doesn't like being mucked about. Anyway I knew I hadn't changed anything it was only the new connector that wouldn't work. Not that it made any difference to Sky support. What stingy dafty decided to present (and I had paid for the original by the way - not freebee) a connector that wasn't backwards compatible. Do a search and you will find everything is backwards compatible even the new whiz bang super dooper Netgear 1 gig routers still support even b let alone g standards. They could have mentioned the wireless N to me during the collective three hours of support telephone calls and stopped my wasting a lot of time and money. Ho hum. This site however, in a few short posts has given me the information to sort the problem for which I am very grateful. Since I do not wish to change my router yet, as I intend to wait if I can for the new tech to settle down (and get cheaper) I shall probably go the route of the plugs for now though the Vonets looks interesting. Thank you all, and I hope this set of posts helps others who will I am sure fall at this particular fence.

Thanks

Something not mentioned yet in this thread is another issue with WEP...

It is being phased out.

I guess that this is one of many new devices that are now being shipped, not just by Sky ether, that will not support WEP. However, with all the new adaptors being sent out soon, this could be a problem.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Things will progress but it would be helpful if companies like Sky considered their customers and provided correct information for them to make informed decisions. I'm sorry but the messing about I have gone through over the last three weeks with Sky support could all have been resolved if not cured by the phrase N wireless standard and they could have told me that when they shipped my replacement connector, not spent most of the time telling me I was putting in my password incorrectly and rebooting etc etc all the boxes. I shall be miffed with them for some time yet I'm afraid.

Thanks

To be fair I was not aware that WEP was no longer supported. It is only by reading this thread that I have the first evidence that it isn't.

I have raised this issue with Sky as there is a new WiFi adaptor which they are shipping soon to a lot of people. I have one and I will need to double check to see whether it does or does not work with WEP.

I should point out that the phasing out of WEP comes not from Sky, but from the WiFi Alliance. We have mentioned this previously on this forum. Your router should support WPA, WPA+WPA2 and WPA2. WPA2 is by far the more secure system currently available. You may need to update your firmware on the router if it doesn't.

Thanks

Oh yes it does, but not all my devices do so WEP at the moment is best for me. As I said earlier I'm a bit isolated so no problems with people breaking in on the signal and I personally only do sensitive stuff i.e. banking using a hard connection. As devices fail or become unreliable they get replaced with more modern models but unless you are prepared or can afford to replace everything at once to the new standards there is always going to be something with old tech waiting for catch up. As for Sky support they are paid (indirectly by me) to know things like this and they should know better than you (not being rude) as they are their products and they are supposed to be helping you and me to use them correctly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast