Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unable to access On Demand without re-booting Sky+ HD box

This is a discussion on Unable to access On Demand without re-booting Sky+ HD box within the Sky Catch Up TV forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; I am unable to access on demand or advanced search features without first re-booting my DRX890W Sky+ HD box. It ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Unable to access On Demand without re-booting Sky+ HD box

I am unable to access on demand or advanced search features without first re-booting my DRX890W Sky+ HD box.

It doesn't make any difference whether I am connected to my BB router by wifi or powerline adapters. A direct ethernet connection would be difficult and I doubt it would make any difference. The network settings screen shows that I have a local network connection but that there is no connection to on demand. Resetting the network connection doesn't make any difference neither does swapping between wired and wifi. My box must be connected to the internet as there is no telephone connection yet I can view my Sky bill on my TV.

Switching the box to standby then off (to red Led) before restarting, restores all on demand functions for the remainder of the day. I do have "eco" mode enabled and have not tried disabling it. I also switch my BB router off overnight. It's DOCSIS so this will not effect my connection speed.

I suspect this to be a firmware problem as it should be possible to fully reset the box's network connection without having to resort to a re-boot. Has anyone else noticed this behaviour and if so found a different solution?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Unable to access On Demand without re-booting Sky+ HD box

Have you tried changing the Multiplexing to LLC? This is sometimes necessary with non-Sky routers. If it is already set to LLC, try VC-MUX, see if that helps.

Another thing you could try is putting the box address in the DMZ of the router, just in case its a porting problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Don't know any way to change the multiplexing. I think that it is pre-set my my ISP.
      Have changed Sky box standby mode from eco to active to see if that makes a difference, if not I'll try DMZ. Don't want to change too many things at once as this could just confuse the issue.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Not that you should have to change standby or dmz settings, it would be good to know if these tweeks do have an effect.

BTW, my standby 'eco mode' does periodically stop working.
      I'm as yet unable to figure out why, but have seen a system uptime of over 6 days before rebuilding the planner & resettling it back to zero.
      Router logs, or lack of, for the 3am-5:30am period always confirm it.

Does your system uptime make sense?

Thanks

Current uptime 1 day 4 hours which ties in with yesterdays re-boot.
      No LAN or On Demand access this morning but restored by power cycling slave powerline adaptor so Sky box re-boot was not required.
      Can only place one device in DMZ so disabled on board wireless support and placed Sky box network adaptors IP address in DMZ.
      Changed standby mode back to eco. will check On Demand connection tomorrow.

Thanks

Ok. System uptime has dropped to 7 1/2 hours so it would appear to have been reset when box in eco mode came out of deep sleep.
      The good news is that both local network connection and On Demand were ok without any intervention from me.
      I'll leave it in this state for another 24 hours just to make sure it wasn't a fluke then try it again outside the de-militarised zone.

Thanks

The plot thickens. Yesterday OD wouldn't work until I re-booted the box yet it had been fine the day before. I don't know whether it made any difference but I emptied the deleted folder and performed a planner re-build. Didn't change anything else and would you believe it, the box was fine again today.

I have also connected up a second box in eco mode using a powerline adaptor, this time a DRX890, to see if it would exhibit the same symptoms. It isn't in the DMZ and of course this was also fine this morning. I think I'll take the original box out of the DMZ and run a comparison of the two boxes for a few days.