Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Catch-up and fibre broadband - disappointed

This is a discussion on Catch-up and fibre broadband - disappointed within the Sky Catch Up TV forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; I prepared carefully for the time when my fibre broadband would be installed as I have posted here before about ...

kcrolla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ilkeston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Catch-up and fibre broadband - disappointed

I prepared carefully for the time when my fibre broadband would be installed as I have posted here before about how long it was taking me to download programs.
      My set up is now:
      Sky Fibre Unlimited:
      Upstairs at master face plate, Sky hub connected to gigabit switch; Zyxel 500 mbps gigabit power line adapter connected also to gigabit switch.
      Downstairs Zyxel 500 mbps 4 port gigabit power line adapter to Sky box.
      I promised my husband that by shelling out the extra tenner a month for fibre we'd be able to watch tv shows pretty much instantly instead of waiting 45 minutes for an hour show.
      Oh dear, not the case. While it's quicker, "On Demand" is not what it is. We have to wait maybe 15-20 minutes for an hour show. This also depends on the time of day. Around 8pm it can be much slower.
      I've also had several instances of "program available to view" only to find that buffering stops the playback after 3 or 4 minutes. This can be at 9 am in the morning.
      I've read the FAQs on the Sky site:
      Speed up your On Demand downloads
      Get the best connection – use an Ethernet cable - CHECK
      Check and improve your wireless signal strength - Not Applicable
      Stop using other internet devices while On Demand downloads are in progress - CHECK
      Consider the speed of your broadband connection:
      On Demand works best with a broadband line speed of more than 2Mbps. - I'm supposed to have 40 mbps.
      For a broadband service with no usage caps, we recommend Sky Broadband Unlimited. - CHECK

I haven't rung them yet, but can anyone suggest anything further I can do to improve things?
      Last edited by kcrolla; 26-01-13 at 03:38 PM. Reason: wrong speedchecker thingy

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Catch-up and fibre broadband - disappointed

What is your actual connection speed? With a fibre connection of around 30Mbps you should have little difficulty in streaming On Demand HD, watching an HD Netflix offering while another couple of users watch YouTube videos. You are either not getting the speed you are paying for or have a bottleneck somewhere in your network.

Can you do speedtests directly into the Hub and directly into the homeplug and through your switches.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

kcrolla (26-01-13)

Thanks

Could you help me with how I do a speed test directly into the hub, the home plug and the switch?

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

You will need to connect a pc or laptop directly to the hub using an Ethernet cable and do a speedtest, then repeat at the first switch, the second powerline adapter then finally the second switch.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jayhab For This Useful Post:

kcrolla (27-01-13)

Thanks

An update on my situation, for those who might find it helpful. As suggested I connected a netbook to the sky hub directly, to the 4 port zyxel powerline adapter, to the gigabit switch and so on. My download speed varied considerably from 10000 kbps to 24000 kbps BUT not according to what manner I was connected! I checked each three times and the results were often wildly different, not between methods of connection, but while connected . So, what can I say...?
      My desktop, wired to the gigbit switch and the sky hub, gets a fairly consistent 29000 kbps. The openreach man who set up the fibre said I was set up to get 40000 kbps and I should contact sky if I didn't. Well, I haven't done that yet.
      However I did phone re the Catch Up download speeds. I was able to tell them that last Wednesday at 9 pm it took 45 minutes for a 1 hour HD programme to become available to view; same thing on Thursday at the same time; but that on Friday afternoon at 2pm the same type of programme was available almost instantly. I told them it varies wildly, but that sometimes the availability is almost instantaneous, so it's really not my kit.
      There didn't seem to be a lot they could say. At peak times, that's what it's like, they acknowledged. They suggested I record programmes or download them before I want to watch them. I told them that I didn't think that was good enough, that their servers need to be improved, and asked that my remarks be put on file. I'm paying another tenner a month for fibre broadband and it appears to have made little difference to my viewing experience.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Have you checked if your exchange is one of those with throughput problems -
      Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.