Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3miles but 15mb download

This is a discussion on 3miles but 15mb download within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok my brother has just had sky broadband and lives 3 miles away from the exchange he getting 15mb download ...

ant500 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

3miles but 15mb download

Ok my brother has just had sky broadband and lives 3 miles away from the exchange he getting 15mb download

Now you will ask how

Well it seems that the main BT cable was damaged in his street and BT put up a telegraph pole with a receiver on it
      I would say this is going to be the way to go because they are not using cables but using the airways to his house it seem that any speed can be achieved.

has any body else got this setup ?
      Last edited by ant500; 10-03-07 at 09:15 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 3miles but 15mb download

Thats a new one on me! never seen that before. Ru sure its not a mobile phone transmitter? They seem to be hiding them in all sorts of stange place's including street lamps!! lol They came along and replaced a street lamp down the road from me and installed a new one with a very fat section at the top of the pole and a big green box on the path at the bottom of it! I wonder if the people who's house it is directly outside realise what it is!!!

ant500 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No m8 its not mobile transmitter because all the street lost there phones at the same time when they were working on the road and path out side his house that when they damaged the main phone cable

wish someone would damage are phone cable all i can get is 4mb and only 1.5 miles from exchange

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by ant500 View Post
      Ok my brother has just had sky broadband and lives 3 miles away from the exchange he getting 15mb download

Now you will ask how

Well it seems that the main BT cable was damaged in his street and BT put up a telegraph pole with a receiver on it
      I would say this is going to be the way to go because they are not using cables but using the airways to his house it seem that any speed can be achieved.

has any body else got this setup ?
      It won't be working like that at all i'm afraid, ADSL and its variants ONLY work on twisted pair phone lines, you cannot make them run over fibre or radio waves. Maybe BT just put some decent new cables in.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

ADSL and its variants ONLY work on twisted pair phone lines
      I don't want to start an argument, but if this is the case, how does satellite broadband work? I agree that it is very unlikely to be wireless transmission, as receivers would have to be fitted to each property.

Note to Mod- I posted this earlier and it did not appear, if it duplicates, please delete.

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Well whatever they did I wish they would do it here.

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Satellite broadband isn't ADSL. ADSL is only designed for copper twisted pair and not any other medium. As for wireless backhaul this seems strange. This is the first I've heard of a wireless backhaul. Now I'm not suggesting it doesn't exist, it would seem a sensible route for rural areas, but it doesn't seem likely. It would require a lot of new infrastructure and licences etc. Easier and cheaper to just fix the broken bit of copper. A wireless system would require a decent line of sight, a licence to operate, not to mention a hell of a lot of equipment at the top of the pole to aggregate and multiplex the phone lines.
      Last edited by armitasp; 11-03-07 at 04:37 PM.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't want to start an argument, but if this is the case, how does satellite broadband work? I agree that it is very unlikely to be wireless transmission, as receivers would have to be fitted to each property.

Note to Mod- I posted this earlier and it did not appear, if it duplicates, please delete.
      Satelite broadband works completely differently it is a direct 2 way data link between you and the Satelite, very expensive and only ever used where no other option is available. I think its the method they use to get broadband onto ships cruise liners etc but rarely used in a domestic situation.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Satelite broadband works completely differently
      Thanks for the clarification

I had a friend whose phone was supplied like this. It was one of the alternative providers to BT who sat their transmitter on a pole in the middle of the estate and fitted each of their customers houses with a small receiver which connected to the phone. He had a dial up connection at the time, but I don't know if it would work with DSL. From what you say, I doubt it, maybe this is why most ISP's require a BT line.

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

if it was possible to get a picture of said equipment the mystery maybe solved. I still doubt that it is a wireless backhaul, i feel it is more likely a BTS (mobile phone mast), Wimax, or a Mesh AP. It would be an unusual move for BT to ditch copper and fibre without bleating about it. Just look at home much they go on about 21CN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast