Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

ADSL line gone dead 3 days after activation :-(

This is a discussion on ADSL line gone dead 3 days after activation :-( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by bristewart Well well well. Wonders will never cease. Sky Tier 2 rang me back a couple of ...

gfsracing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worksop
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: ADSL line gone dead 3 days after activation :-(

Quote Originally Posted by bristewart View Post
      Well well well. Wonders will never cease.

Sky Tier 2 rang me back a couple of hours ago to tell me my problem was now fixed by BT. Their line test now worked. I was at work at the time, so of course took it with a shovel full of salt.

Just got home to find the green Internet light lit up on the router! Going into the admin console, the LCP was still down on the router, but a router reboot sorted that out. My line now appears to be back to normal. I'm writing this at home D/l speed seems to be 3.8Mb, which is higher than my previoius connection, but it could just be the time of day.

I'm pleased its back but have lost some faith in Sky's CS and technical service. Most of them are clueless and they are happy to blame everyone but themselves (even my previous ISP who don't even use LLU equipment). However, on the positive side I've discovered a lot about how things work at Sky Broadband, in case it happens again. And they do have that invaluable freephone number.

The whole situation was resolved in:

5 days
      8 phone calls to Sky (approx 4 hours on freephone number)
      3 phone calls to BT Wholesale
      several ultimatums by me telling them I would cancel within my 8 working day cooling off period

Wonderful service isn't it. The old adage of "you only get what you pay for" springs to mind all too vividly.

Now I just need to decide before Friday whether I can risk a 12 months tie-in period with them, or if I should just jump ship and pay through the nose elsewhere. I'm fairly sure the only reason my problem was resolved was my threat of cancelling if not dealt with by Friday. Decisions, decisions...

I hope all of this post helps someone else that will inevitably hit the problems I have shortly after their shiny new activation (and I hope I never have to refer to this page again myself if I do stay with Sky!!).

Cheers,
      Bri.
      Glad your back up and running Bri at leastthis thread has got one of us connected. 1 down 10 to go.

Let us know if it goes down again in 3 days

2. Advertisement
      bristewart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dadopson View Post
      Last edited by dadopson : Today at 08:57 AM. Reason: I have just found out that the freephone number 0800 0510 2595 has been discontinued
      You have typed the wrong number there.

Freephone number is: 0800 0512595. It still works fine

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gfsracing View Post
      Glad your back up and running Bri at leastthis thread has got one of us connected. 1 down 10 to go.

Let us know if it goes down again in 3 days

Thanks. The key is to keep ringing up using the freephone number to speak to Tier 2 (having raised a ticket initially with Tier 1). Tier 2 are the ONLY dept that can help you with this problem. Tier 3 will be of no use to you. You need to ask Tier 2 to perform a line test (which will fail) and then they will raise a fault with BT. It is then BT that actually fix the problem at the exchange. Hope this helps the others.

Dont rely on callbacks (although I was extremely lucky and got 3 callbacks)- keep ringing everyday during off peak hours, e.g. 8pm or during the day, never 5-6pm or you'll be on hold for up to an hour! Also keep checking with BT Wholesale (freephone number above in this thread) to see what tags your line has on it.

Fingers crossed my line survives the 3 days - although from what I've read elsewhere, this problem can happen at anytime, with one guy it was even 3 months after line activation! This LLU Cease problem appears to be generated entirely randomly, although many of them do appear to be around 3 days after line activation.

I think I'm gonna stay with Sky. They solved the problem once, so if it happens again I know what to do and who to ask for. They can even refer to my old ticket. And all the time its on a freephone number - I don't know of any other ISPs that won't cost me to call them.
      Last edited by bristewart; 15-03-07 at 10:25 AM.

dadopson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Middlesex
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry about that. I am a bit sleepy this morning. I have phoned sky on the no but they refuse to put me through to anyone on tier 3 until at least 3 days have passed. The lady said they have to gather all the evidence and check the line and the exchange. It is ******** annoying that they obviously know what the problem is but will not talk to me to tell me what it is. As a customer I am left completely in the dark with no internet connection. How many times is this going to happen. I am wishing I had not changed from BT now.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dadopson View Post
      I am wishing I had not changed from BT now.
      Well if you were activated on 5th March (from your post above), then the last day of your "8 working day cooling off period" is today. You still have the choice to cancel with Sky if you so wish. From tomorrow you'll be tied in for just under 12 months. Just something to be aware of.

sywy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, I've been on hold, waiting for tier 2, for about 30 mins now. Tier 1 told me they could not do a line test, unless I was on my home phone. I currently in work. Is this correct?

Also, anyone know my rights on cancelling? I was supposedly activated on 26/1 and have never managed to connect yet. They must be able to see that I have not used the connection?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sywy View Post
      Well, I've been on hold, waiting for tier 2, for about 30 mins now. Tier 1 told me they could not do a line test, unless I was on my home phone. I currently in work. Is this correct?
      Sounds about right yes.

Also, anyone know my rights on cancelling? I was supposedly activated on 26/1 and have never managed to connect yet. They must be able to see that I have not used the connection?
      I'd say you have a good case for being able to cancel. You have been paying for a service that Sky have not been providing you with. Threaten them with OFCOM, trading standards, Watchdog etc. (although in reality none of these will be of any use to you as they do not deal with individual cases).

sywy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Finally got through to T2. They confirmed that I need to be on my home line to be able to do a line test. They also told me that there were no ceases put through on my line. So I'm not sure why my ADSL line is dead. Also, as expected, I have to wait for my new Skybox, and try to connect with that, before they'll look into it further.

Exchange:
      Thanks

They also told me that there were no ceases put through on my line. So I'm not sure why my ADSL line is dead.
      If you have a BT landline, go to this site below, click on "Track your landline order", and login with the same details as you would if you were checking your monthly bill.

BT.com | Small & medium business | Your account | Order Tracking

Then check to see if an LLU cease was put on your line last week. My money is on a big fat yes.
      Last edited by bristewart; 15-03-07 at 12:27 PM.

flatpackedworld is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: THBK
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I can join this club now

Just read a number of posts all similar about line light being dead. Have followed that BT link and indeed the account shows a cease on my line.

Grrrrrrr.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast