Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

ADSL line gone dead 3 days after activation :-(

This is a discussion on ADSL line gone dead 3 days after activation :-( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Seems like my line too has been "ceased" without any knowledge of this on my part and judging by the ...

Murban is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: ADSL line gone dead 3 days after activation :-(

Seems like my line too has been "ceased" without any knowledge of this on my part and judging by the responses of the customer services they didnt know either.

No offense to anyone who is working for SKY who is on this forum but that is shocking but thanks to the help of people on this forum I have at least got something to tell them now and some idea on why my broadband has just cut out for no reason even though they are still looking into it and have no idea. Now all I have to do is be allowed to get through to someone on 3rd line and tell them that they have a serious problem with their system randomly ceasing peoples lines.....

Thanks again guys and fingers crossed.

2. Advertisement
      gfsracing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worksop
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If anyone has managed to get reconnected let us know - Im still not reconnected - The guy at sky did say it was useful info when i told him about the line being ceased.

Is anyone here from Sky that can help / comment on this please ??

bristewart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

According to the BT order tracking website:

BT.com | Small & medium business | Your account | Order Tracking

a second LLU cease was issued on the line yesterday. This seems to have cleared the tag because when I use the broadband availabilty checkers on other ISP websites they are now happy to proceed with a broadband order, whereas before they said I had some unknown service on the line and that broadband was not available for it.

6th March
      (activated Sky BB - all good so far)
      PROVIDE LLU LINE SHARE PSTN 1 0.0 0.0
      PROVIDE SMPF TO SMPF MIG. ON TACTICAL 1 0.0 0.0

9th March
      (LLU cease issued on the line by Sky. Why?! I never asked for this! Here the problems begin...
      They didn't even issue the cease line correctly, leading to a tag being left on the line)
      CEASE LLU LINE SHARE PSTN 1 0.0 0.0
      CEASE CEASE SMPF 1 0.0 0.0

12th March
      (After approx 1.5 hours during 4 phone calls since the 9th March to Sky, the tag is seemingly removed from the line)
      CEASE LLU LINE SHARE PSTN 1 0.0 0.0 )

I believe (hope) my line is now clear. One down, one to go...

I just need a re-connection to Sky BB in the next 2 days, or else I will cancel within the 8 days cooling off period and should then be free to go to another ISP.
      I don't really want to move elsewhere though because the 5 a month cannot be beaten, and I have a handy 0800 number for Sky so that whilst it wastes my time on the
      phone when things go wrong, it doesn't cost me a penny. And my cordless phone has a loudspeaker which is great for the inevitable long wait on hold!
      Last edited by bristewart; 13-03-07 at 05:14 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Murban View Post
      Seems like my line too has been "ceased" without any knowledge of this on my part and judging by the responses of the customer services they didnt know either.
      Apparently this is a growing problem within Sky BB. Random "cease LLU"s are being created within the system. Surely not some sort of sabotage from someone inside Sky but working for Virgin Media?!!!

Anyway, the Irish guy I spoke to in Tier 2 last night admitted it was a growing problem and he had heard of it a couple of times before. He said that their "top level engineers" are currently working on the problem to find out why it is happening.
      Last edited by bristewart; 13-03-07 at 05:07 PM.

gfsracing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worksop
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i had sky broadband activated on 6th March and lost it on the 9th.

Im now at Tier 3 level, hope this will make a difference and that i get connected in the next few days cause when it was working it was good especially for free

Exchange:
      Thanks

Rang BT wholesale
      One tag left on the line after the LLU cease issued on 12th March.
      The woman I spoke to said it was a "solo tag", and this happens quite a lot.
      She will issue a removal of it from her end, it will take upto 48 hours.
      Then the line will be completely clear. Apparently!
      She said there was no re-connect pending from Sky. Which is odd.

Rang Sky Tier 2.
      The BT fault had been closed off but shouldn't have been.
      They did another line test. Failed of course.
      Logged a new BT fault.
      They are going to contact their Line Provisioning dept (0870 0248929) and call me back on Wednesday with a date that I can expect re-connection.
      Yeah yeah, whatever. Looks like I will be cancelling on Thursday!

At least it *looks* like my line is now free from Sky tags.
      Unfortunately it means that if I go elsewhere I'll have to pay the 47 new connection charge, as it will not be classed as a migration. Wonder what my chances of getting that money back from Sky are?!
      Last edited by bristewart; 14-03-07 at 10:14 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gfsracing View Post
      Im now at Tier 3 level, hope this will make a difference
      I suspect it will make no difference.
      You need to speak to Tier 2 to raise a fault with BT, as your problem is probably between your exchange and your house.

Tier1 deal with people who can't plug the right cable into the right socket.
      Tier2 deal with line faults and BT.
      Tier3 deal with very technical and non line fault issues, such as improving connection speed and minimising drop outs etc.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well well well. Wonders will never cease.

Sky Tier 2 rang me back a couple of hours ago to tell me my problem was now fixed by BT. Their line test now worked. I was at work at the time, so of course took it with a shovel full of salt.

Just got home to find the green Internet light lit up on the router! Going into the admin console, the LCP was still down on the router, but a router reboot sorted that out. My line now appears to be back to normal. I'm writing this at home D/l speed seems to be 3.8Mb, which is higher than my previoius connection, but it could just be the time of day.

I'm pleased its back but have lost some faith in Sky's CS and technical service. Most of them are clueless and they are happy to blame everyone but themselves (even my previous ISP who don't even use LLU equipment). However, on the positive side I've discovered a lot about how things work at Sky Broadband, in case it happens again. And they do have that invaluable freephone number.

The whole situation was resolved in:

5 days
      8 phone calls to Sky (approx 4 hours on freephone number)
      3 phone calls to BT Wholesale
      several ultimatums by me telling them I would cancel within my 8 working day cooling off period

Wonderful service isn't it. The old adage of "you only get what you pay for" springs to mind all too vividly.

Now I just need to decide before Friday whether I can risk a 12 months tie-in period with them, or if I should just jump ship and pay through the nose elsewhere. I'm fairly sure the only reason my problem was resolved was my threat of cancelling if not dealt with by Friday. Decisions, decisions...

I hope all of this post helps someone else that will inevitably hit the problems I have shortly after their shiny new activation (and I hope I never have to refer to this page again myself if I do stay with Sky!!).

Cheers,
      Bri.
      Last edited by bristewart; 14-03-07 at 05:58 PM.

sywy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Although I have never been able to connect to Sky BB since my (supposedly) activation date of 26th Jan, I know that my line finally got switched over to Sky on Sunday, because my line speed shot up to 5mb from 2mb. However, I was still not able to connect, so was waiting for TS to call me back. Unfortunately, my skybox decided to break the same day. So now I'm sitting here waiting for a new box. However, I do have my old router, and have been connecting it to the line to seem what was happening. It detectect the 5 mb line every day, until today. It's now reporting no ADSL signal at all. Call to TS suggests I should wait for my new Skybox and try again. I know this will not work, as there is no ADSL signal on my line!! It just suprises me (well it doesn't actually) that they were ignorant of the problem, when there are so many people on here that seems to have gone through it!! I wish I had never bothered now.

(BTW, mine was also a migration from Virgin!!)
      Last edited by sywy; 14-03-07 at 11:36 PM.

dadopson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Middlesex
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I also have the same problem. Sky connected on 5th March, the connection has dropped a couple of times but has come straight back up. Then at 10pm on Tuesday 13th the connection dropped, the internet light went out and I have no connection. I can log onto the router and it just says "connecting".
      I phoned sky customer services (what a joke) and was told all the usual crap (reboot the router, reset the router, change the microfilter, plug into the BT test socket, swap the phone lead round) none of this worked (it has been working absolutely perfectly for four years). I even asked them if there was any fault with the line or exchange (which they said there is not, although they did not seem very sure). Also I could hardly understand either of the people I spoke to. I have also tried the sky test on the router and it gives an error 100.
      I have now been bumped up to tier 3 and have a ticket but may have to wait 3-5 days for a call back. It is still showing no signs of life this morning.
      I think I may have made a big mistake for the sake of saving 20 a month.
      Is there anything else I can try?
      What will tier 3 check? The BT line or the exchange? Will they put me straight through to tier 2 if it appears to be a line fault or will I have to wait another 3-5 days?
      I will certainly be trying to get some money back from the buggers.
      I am also outside my 8 days cooling off period so I am screwed if I want to cancel and go back to BT. Sods law that the faults only show up afetr the 8 days.
      Last edited by dadopson; 15-03-07 at 09:57 AM. Reason: I have just found out that the freephone number 0800 0510 2595 has been discontinued

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast