Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

It's a big 'un, but any help is muchly appreciated!

This is a discussion on It's a big 'un, but any help is muchly appreciated! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First post on here, just joined now as you all seemed like such a helpful bunch Now with the asskissing ...

captainrentboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's a big 'un, but any help is muchly appreciated!

First post on here, just joined now as you all seemed like such a helpful bunch
      Now with the asskissing out of the way onto my problem...
      I have joined up with Sky Broadband Max just recently and the engineers are due to come around on the 21st,BUT i'm still a lil undecided on whether it's actually necessary for me to go wireless, the dozens of horror stories on here aren't helping either(constant connection losses, bad download speeds compared to being wired up), and seeing as the main phone socket is less than 10 metres from our only household pc I'm guessing I might as well stay ethernet cable based, is that correct?
      Which moves onto my next problem, xbox live, I currently have my 360 connected to my pc tower through a crossover ethernet cable and am connecting through ICS. I'm not really interested in making that wireless either but I only have one Ethernet port on my PC,which i'm assuming will be taken up by Sky's router in a few weeks.
      What is the easiest, cheapest way around this (Baring in mind I'm really quite thick when it comes to networking of any kind)
      Would I have to buy another PCI ethernet network card? Would that sort the problem out without any compatibility issues? (Connecting my 360 straight to the Sky router isn't an option due to distance)
      Also before Sky's engineers come out would I have to buy a 10 metre standard ethernet cable as opposed to crossover one for them to connect the netgear router to my PC?
      And that's it, any guidelines at all will help massively.
      One more thing do any of you of a decent Ethernet card that wouldbe compatible and fast enough to do the jobby with the Sky router?
      Thanks!!

2. Advertisement
      andyjsk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ruddington/02prem
      Broadband ISP: o2 prem.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: It's a big 'un, but any help is muchly appreciated!

re going wireless the only problem i have going witreless was installing the usb adaptor on my second machine,kept putting in the pasphrase in lowercase but haveing rtfm again the phrase upper case hit me between the eyes renterd in upper case and it all spranginto life,there are two sets of cordless phones none of these seem to affect the router link,i for one wuld not go back to cables for connection am looking at video senders to do the same with the upstairs anddownstairs tvs to replace the cables and joints therein

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: It's a big 'un, but any help is muchly appreciated!

I would suggest that rather than getting 10m of ethernet cable, you get a 10m telephone cable extension and site the new Sky router next to your PC. The router has 4 ethernet ports on the back so you plug the PC into one and the Xbox into one of the others.

Hope that makes sense.

The router comes with a standard ethernet cable, so that covers the PC, but you would need another standard ethernet cable to connect the Xbox to the router.
      Last edited by the_sky_goat; 09-03-07 at 06:08 PM.

captainrentboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah that does seem a lot easier, and cheaper too!
      Is is it just standard telephone cable I need around 10 metres of? If so what code name does that cable have, it's not RJ11 is it?
      Thanks again.

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captainrentboy View Post
      Yeah that does seem a lot easier, and cheaper too!
      Is is it just standard telephone cable I need around 10 metres of? If so what code name does that cable have, it's not RJ11 is it?
      Thanks again.
      Yup, the thing to do is to put your ADSL Filter (also known as a microfilter, which comes with the router) into the telephone socket which then splits off into a standard BT socket for your telephone, and an RJ11 socket. You then need to get a 10m RJ11 cable (male to male) to go from the ADSL Filter to the back of the router.

Maplin sells them for 6.99 - link to RJ11 Line Cords
      Last edited by the_sky_goat; 09-03-07 at 06:25 PM.