Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

slow download speeds

This is a discussion on slow download speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi i'm now getting to the point of, should i just give up and except i wont get speeds i ...

justhattx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

slow download speeds

Hi i'm now getting to the point of, should i just give up and except i wont get speeds i deserve? I'm getting around 3000 downstream right now and was getting 400 downstream this morning. The best i have got so far is 5000 and something.

But just like Churchill, i will fight to the end, i will fight on the beaches if i have too. I'm paying for up to 16mb and i know i wont get that much but i should get more than 8mb. I have only had sky bb for 2 days now but i have read around a hundred pages to try and get the best i can for my computer and laptop. So far this is what i have done(may have left out some things because i have forgotten them):

* Reboot my router many times

*I tried that optimiser, boost my connection on the first day since has gone down

*Tested my master socket, couldnt connect to the internet when i tried this

*many more things just cant think off the top of my head.

At the bottom is a full list of my stats, but one thing is really strange. The line attenuation says 42.0db. Two things that are wrong with this(might be wrong with one of them, im not an expert):

*On the first day it said i had an line attenuation of 40.0db, should this figure change? i thought it was the distance from the excanhge to my router probaley wrong.

*Also i was reading one of the threads http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html It shows a table and at 41.0db so the table says im around 2.9km and i should get around 11800kbps, however my excange is only 1.1miles from me and it works out around 1.7km so something must be wrong there right?

Here is my stats for you to show you my hell:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 440 427 0 355 852 00:06:45
      LAN 10M/100M 1425 1412 0 1437 503 00:12:13
      WLAN 11M/54M 21 0 0 3 0 00:12:03

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6528 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41.0 db 26.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.9 db 14.0 db

Hope you can make sense of them stats, if you cant i try and make it easier for you. Also some things may be different from the stats to what i have said because when i was writing this i got disconnected and when i got it back up it doubled in speed. Still isnt right so thats why im still posting this thread. Please help anything you can think of just post and will answer and try. Thank you in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: slow download speeds

Your attenuation is a good guide to your line length. Sadly, very few lines travel in a straight line between the exchange and the customer.

Attenuation can change a little (e.g. a couple of db). This can either be because the line characteristics have changed or the ADSL mode has changed.

If you are only getting 6528kbps with an attenuation of 41db then the shortfall is almost certainly because you have a noisy line. When you say "Tested my master socket, couldnt connect to the internet when i tried this" I've no idea what you mean. First off you need to test with your test socket (which you'll find behind the faceplate of your mater socket (assuming you have an NTE5) and second, I can't think of a circumstance where if you plug the router into the master socket you can't get a connection - unless you weren't using a filter?

TCPOptimizer can only impact your download/upload speed not your router connection speed.

Re changes in speed after rebooting, I think you need to read the link you referred to again.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for the response, but does the line attenuation be as high as 41.0db only being an 1.7km away from the exchange? ok if it is, but just sounds a bit werid to me, for the difference to what i should get and do get is sometimes 10.0db.

The way you make it sound "Sadly, very few lines travel in a straight line between the exchange and the customer." makes me think it travels like a cab driver.

Oh back to the issiue, if i have a "noisy line" what do i do to fix this please?

Thanks alot for your advice.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If you think about it, for everyone to have a nice straight line run to our house the whole country would be a forest of telegraph poles or there would have to be a tunnel every few feet underground. Phone lines tend to follow roads, sometimes they take diversions. That's the way it is.

With regard to your problem I've already told you what to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      First off you need to test with your test socket which you'll find behind the faceplate of your master socket (assuming you have an NTE5)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

oh right sorry i should have posted a better reply to the subject of the master socket. I took my laptop downstairs to the master socket, took the faceplate off and when i tested it i just could not connect to the internet which i think and u all must think im doing something wrong lol. I have tried twice now but it dont seem to work. All i do take the faceplate off, plug the adsl box into the socket and have the phone line and modem line plugged in. If this is wrong then i will try it again.

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Correct me if i'm reading this wrong. but when you took your laptop downstairs, did you take your router with you and plug that into the test socket, or did you plug your laptop into the test socket?
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yh i did take the router downstairs as well should of wrote that in as well sorry.