Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Thinking of moving from Pipex to Sky - a few questions!

This is a discussion on Thinking of moving from Pipex to Sky - a few questions! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I have been on Pipex for about 8 years now, which has been pretty good until the last ...

SteveCBarnes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crowthorne
      Broadband ISP: Pipex
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Thinking of moving from Pipex to Sky - a few questions!

Hi all,

I have been on Pipex for about 8 years now, which has been pretty good until the last year or so where there have been a number of problems, so I have decided to take a look at Sky broadband as I already have Sky HD with the full sport/movie package and so may as well save 20 a month on broadband costs

My pipex line is 1MB (pretty much the best i can get on my line despite only being 2.6km from the exchange according to all online checkers ), and I have a 15gb download cap which i have never hit. I guess i want the Sky MID package to allow for a large download cap for future use.

I have a few questions before I take the plunge:

1) I am on the CROWTHORNE exchange. Has anyone else moved from Pipex to SKY on this exchange? Any problems to report or is it all pain free and easy?

2) I use my broadband mainly for online gaming (actually mainly World of Warcraft ) - i usually get around 70-120 ping which I know isnt great but its fine for this game. How does Sky compare for gaming? I'm really looking for a like for like move (but saving 20 per month!).

3) I dont want to be without broadband for long (hours is not so bad, days very bad, a week+ a disaster!) so I guess its best to get a MAC code from Pipex, order Sky and then when Sky is activated Pipex will drop out and I can then phone Pipex to cancel once my Sky is up and running? I don't mind the extra month payment to Pipex to ensure that I am not without a connection for a long while. Is this how it works or will Pipex cancel my line once I get the MAC code (even if it takes Sky 2-3 weeks to connect me?). I know that Sky provide a new router, but I was planning on leaving my old router connected until I hit my Sky connection date.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Steve.

2. Advertisement
      armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Thinking of moving from Pipex to Sky - a few questions!

I wouldn't trust online checkers for providing your estimated speed. According to all the online checkers the best I can get is 2mb/s yet my Sky Broadband is currently connected at 16mb/s with no problems. Line stats are the best way to estimate your connection speed

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by armitasp View Post
      I wouldn't trust online checkers for providing your estimated speed. According to all the online checkers the best I can get is 2mb/s yet my Sky Broadband is currently connected at 16mb/s with no problems. Line stats are the best way to estimate your connection speed
      Thanks for the fast reply, could you link a reliable line stats test (thats pretty easy to understand and carry out ) so I can check?

Cheers.

Steve.

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Depends on what router you have. If you have a netgear you can use the following tool:

Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I went from BT to Sky on the same day no problems BT went down and Sky was active on the same day! But some have had issues luck of the draw I guess, the worse is going from LLU to LLU where the line has to be cleared before the new supplier can take over. I have checked your exchange and there is no Pipex LLU presence there so Pipex must be connected to BT equipment in the exchange so should be straight forward.
      No gaming experience but brother doe's loads of downloading and says speeds are very good.

Draig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sly anymore
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Once you get connected the speeds are fine, and pings on WOW will be at the least the same, but probably better.

Just hope you get connected ok.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hmm .. from my router stats I get :

Line Attenuation : 58
      Noise Margin : 7

Which I guess is why I can only have a 1MB connection. I am supposedly 2.6km from my exchange but thats as the crow flies so I guess I'm all over the place in the routing

I think Line Attenuation is based on distance from exchange and cannot be changed so I guess I will just have to switch to Sky and see what happens.

On the whole I have a nice and steady connection at the moment, but was just hoping for a faster one!

Thanks for all the replies.

Steve.

made2fade is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rugby
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The day you receive your MAC from Pipex starts the countdown of 30 days until Pipex cease your connection, they do this automatically unless you tell them otherwise within the time.

Hopefully by that time, you'll be connected to Sky.

There have been a few problems with Pipex continuing to charge after you have migrated, so that's something to keep an eye on.

My line attenuation is 61 and i sync at between 2 to 3 MB.

I migrated from Pipex Solo 1MB last year.

goalscrounger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just gone from Pipex (1 meg) to Sky Max myself.

I now get 6.5 meg downloads for less than half the price I was paying Pipex for 1 meg (AND Sky don't throttle my newsgroup feed to the extent that I get nostaligic for the speeds of my old 56K dial-up modem!)

Getting the MAC code from Pipex was easy (although you need to check that the e-mail address they have on file for you is one you can still access. I had to give them one BEFORE they connected me, so I used a work one that I can no longer access and that's where the MAC code originally went. Why they didn't send it to my Pipex account is beyond me?!).

Pipex continued their service right up until the day that I changed to Sky, and I can still use their mail server now (four days after the switch) which is more than fair.

Unfortunatley, Sky didn't work for the first 48 hours (the old error 300 message), but they sorted it yesterday and everything is now fine. If there are no problems at Sky's end, you shouldn't have any downtime, expect for the time it takes you to set up your new router etc.

I would recommend the change. Sky's customer service has been slated on variosu forums, but I found them pretty good, and certainly no worse than the service that you and I have been used to with Pipex.

Can't help with pings, my days of playing Unreal Tournament online disappeared once the first of my two children arrived!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks all for the replies - it all sounds like a bit of a no-brainer then!

I'll make the change at the end of the month and update this thread with how I get on!

Cheers,

Steve.