Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Upload Speeds

This is a discussion on Slow Upload Speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not sure if anyone can help me, sky max user from 14/02/07, connection was erratic due to low noise to ...

Jasper** is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pinxton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow Upload Speeds

Not sure if anyone can help me, sky max user from 14/02/07, connection was erratic due to low noise to start with,, removed unused wires from the BT sockets just leaving wires 2 and 5 connected. noisedb improved, and so did sync speeds, and speedtest results. Last Wednesday my connection totally failed, even though the modem synced well enough, it would not connect, phoned sky helpdesk, and was told the problem would be passed on and to expect a call back within 5 days (still not had), the following day it started working again, but my upload speed is pathetic just 14kbps.

here is the current sync speeds

System Up Time 50:20:17
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1647982 2050200 0 806 8740 50:19:43
      LAN 10M/100M 1829911 1768499 0 6029 4151 50:20:15
      WLAN 11M/54M 906778 566881 0 6359 326 50:20:06

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11327 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.5 db 22.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.6 db 13.0 db

but even with this, the upload speed is useless. a speedtest at bbmax doesnt even register an uplod speed,, download atm is 9981 kbps,, it varies depending on time of day, sometimes up to 11000 ish

using visualware speedtest I get these results:
      download 9.74mbps
      and a problem measuring upload speed

this is really anoying, i am unable to vpn to this computer anymore with such low upload speeds?

any suggestions for me to try?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Slow Upload Speeds

Welcome to the forum

That's a very unusual problem

Your router is syncing at 764kbps upstream which is as you'd expect. Yet a speedtest only shows 14kbps?

As you probably now, a connection has to have a healthy upstream to have a fast downstream and your downstream is healthy (~85% of your connection speed which is good). That makes it rather difficult to see how your upstream could be that low - though I don't doubt that is what is being reported.

I can't see that it would help but there's no harm in trying TCPOptimizer to ensure your TCP/IP settings are correct.

A more worrying thing would be that you have something nasty on your system using up your upstream connection. If you close your browser and then run netstat at the command prompt, how many connections are showing - particularly the established ones? Could you also run netstat -e and post the results (right click/select all/copy/paste)?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

info as requested:

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
      TCP jasper:1031 localhost:2002 ESTABLISHED
      TCP jasper:2002 localhost:1031 ESTABLISHED
      TCP jasper:netbios-ssn 192.168.0.10:1987 ESTABLISHED
      TCP jasper:3987 app06.logmein.com:https ESTABLISHED
      TCP jasper:4143 cpc3-mfld2-0-0-cust174.nott.cable.ntl.com:7200 ESTABLISHED

C:\Documents and Settings\Paul>netstat -e
      Interface Statistics

Received Sent

Bytes 2058196203 2006034535
      Unicast packets 5923188 7396014
      Non-unicast packets 11045 4119
      Discards 0 0
      Errors 0 0
      Unknown protocols 1521

and current test @ 00.28 am (although that site reports faster upload, still nowhere near what it was)

Last edited by Jasper**; 09-03-07 at 01:34 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

There's nothing "nasty" in your connections but the logmein connection presumably shows that you are running one of their products? They offer services such as remote backup and remote access. Asking the obvious, are you backing up data online or allowing someone to remotely access your system/share files? That's a pretty good way to use upstream bandwidth.

Your netstat -e output shows that you are sending a large amount of data - actually, a relatively huge amount of data. Your sent and received are nearly equal though whether this is just over your LAN I'm not sure as the "e" parameter will list all ethernet traffic. But, as I said before, the fact you have a full download speed shows there is probably nothing wrong with your upstream connection.

If you have something running on your system (or someone else on your LAN) which is sending a lot of data beyond your LAN (and it looks like you might have) then that would be why your upload speedtest looks low.
      Last edited by Saturday; 09-03-07 at 12:26 PM.

Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Well I'm not an expert Jasper** but the NTL reference looks strange to me.

If you were an NTL customer you would possibly expect to see this referenced but seeing as you're not I don't understand why it is there.

Were you with NTL before you joined Sky?

Also you don't appear to be running any firewall software (usually uses UDP port 44334)

Saturday will probably be able to explain a little more.

For anyone interested, there is a little exe file you can download called fport. It's available HERE

You run it from a DOS prompt & as well as the info shown by using netstat it also shows the actual names of any programmes that are using your network connections.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

the logmein connection is for me to remote access my home pc from others, and its only me that has access to it,
      the ntl connection is me connected to an online gameserver, but that again does not use a large amount of bandwith,

i will download the program you have provided physco later at home, thank you.

i will also test my speeds again with the logmein disabled and disconnected for the gameserver

could it be sky that have done this to my upload speed?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

just an update,, after running tcp optimizer and frequent reboots of the router, my upload speed never improved, got fed up waiting on friday to get through to tier3 ( i know i shouldnt have given up,, but i had things to do)

today at some point i lost internet connection, only found out when daughter wasnt able to access the internet on her laptop, but she could access the internal network, after a few trys it did get online checked router stats later and i had been connected for only 27mins? not sure wjy it dropped connection, but here are my stats from a few mins ago.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11327 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.5 db 22.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.8 db 13.0 db

sky or bt messing about?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper** View Post

sky or bt messing about?
      I don't think its either. As I said before, your upstream connection is fine and the likely culprit is something on your system or LAN. Have you checked your daughter's laptop? Sure there are no nasties on there? Sure she's not running a P2P application such as Sky Anytime? That as an example (in my opinion) is a particularly nasty application. Even if you're not using it, you can't turn it off and it will happily use all your available upstream bandwidth to share any programs on your system.