Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Moving from ntl to SkyBB

This is a discussion on Moving from ntl to SkyBB within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK so ive been with sky for years, now decided to ditch ntl BB for skys max package. So ive ...

bezza123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Moving from ntl to SkyBB

OK so ive been with sky for years, now decided to ditch ntl BB for skys max package.

So ive just got off the phone to BT, they will reconnect my line, no problem. The earliest the engineer can go to the exchange to activate my line is the 28th March....so 20 days to wait! Seems a little long but ok.

So presumably ive got to wait until the BT line is on before I can even order BB from SKY? and if so how long will it take them to get the router sent out and activate their BB on my line? I spoke to a lady in INDIA who told me about 10-15 days!!! for the love of God surely not that long?

Oh and when BT contact ntl to cancel my phone with them, will ntl also cancel my BB with them? If this is the case then it could be a very long time without BB for me

ANY help or info very much appreciated

Wayne

2. Advertisement
      Draig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sly anymore
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Moving from ntl to SkyBB

Quote Originally Posted by bezza123 View Post
      So presumably ive got to wait until the BT line is on before I can even order BB from SKY?
      Yes.

and if so how long will it take them to get the router sent out and activate their BB on my line? I spoke to a lady in INDIA who told me about 10-15 days!!! for the love of God surely not that long?
      Sounds about right, but it might take longer. 10 days from start to finish is being optimistic, but it could happen. Around 15 days seems more realistic. From Skys viewpoint, you having already waited 20 days for BT to put the line in has nothing to do with them.

Oh and when BT contact ntl to cancel my phone with them, will ntl also cancel my BB with them? If this is the case then it could be a very long time without BB for me

ANY help or info very much appreciated

Wayne

NTL probably won't automatically cancel your BB (although they might) I would suggest when your new BT line is fitted you call NTL and make sure that they have done so, or if they will be willing to continue to provide your BB on the BT line (not probable)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Draig View Post
      NTL probably won't automatically cancel your BB (although they might) I would suggest when your new BT line is fitted you call NTL and make sure that they have done so, or if they will be willing to continue to provide your BB on the BT line (not probable)
      I thought ntl BB came via cable rather than through BT's phoneline?

If that is the case then i would rather keep ntl BB until sky BB is up and running. I dont really wanna be 15 days+ without BB.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I thought ntl BB came via cable rather than through BT's phoneline?

If that is the case then i would rather keep ntl BB until sky BB is up and running. I dont really wanna be 15 days+ without BB.
      Yep I do believe you are right there it comes down a differen't cable but I did read someone going on about having NTL broadband over a BT line, never heard of that myself unless it is a new option with this Virgin Media take over. But yes if you are on a proper cable system then you should be able to keep the NTL going until you Sky is up and running.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Yep I do believe you are right there it comes down a differen't cable but I did read someone going on about having NTL broadband over a BT line, never heard of that myself unless it is a new option with this Virgin Media take over. But yes if you are on a proper cable system then you should be able to keep the NTL going until you Sky is up and running.
      OK that would be better as then at least i dont have to wait 15 days for BB, im not going to bother contacting ntl as their usually useless. Im just going to wait and see what happens on the 28th!

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Hi there,
      I am moving (in the process) from NTL FREEDOM to sky bb - Ntl freedom is through phone line and I have been with them for about 3 years. I am not in a cable area and therefore wasn't able to get a package deal like other ntl customers who had cable, it is the same since they changed to virgin media.

I have received a connection date - 12/3/07 (Monday) and just hoping everything goes to plan. I am already a sky tv customer (for over 8 years) and ordered sky bb on 1st March and now just crossing fingers ... and everything else!

Wayne, I hope things work out for you - I would find it hard to be without connection for that long.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK that would be better as then at least i dont have to wait 15 days for BB, im not going to bother contacting ntl as their usually useless. Im just going to wait and see what happens on the 28th!
      BEWARNED !!! Make sure when you are up and running you inform your old supplier you have switched, it is unlikely Sky will tell them! I have had a major falling out with BT over the last 2 weeks because they billed me for the last 3 month's BT broadband when I have had Sky on the same line since the 12th Nov!! The response I got was "computer says no" you are on BT broadband! they were quite insistent!! until I started sending some really snotty emails. I think all sorted now but cant be sure until my next bill.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I had a similar problem koala5, it took them a few months for BT to sort it out and get the cheque out for the money they owed me.

I think all sorted now but cant be sure until my next bill.
      What I did is to cancel the direct debit via my online banking service. Thank god I did otherwise this would have gone on and on.

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I shall be phoning ntl freedom or virgin media as it is now to make sure my account is closed end of the month ... when I received the MAC code from ntl freedom by email on the 23/2/07, the stated:
      Your migration code will be valid for 30 days from the date you receive it. Once the migration code has been given to your new provider it usually takes between 7 and 10 days to be transferred to your new provider. However Freedom will charge you up to the expiry of the migration code in order to carry out your 30-day notice.
      All I should need to do is phone them before the 22nd March to make sure the account is closed and cancel my direct debit, and hopefully that will be it!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      I had a similar problem koala5, it took them a few months for BT to sort it out and get the cheque out for the money they owed me.

What I did is to cancel the direct debit via my online banking service. Thank god I did otherwise this would have gone on and on.
      Mmmm problem is I don't want to rattle there cage to much incase they disconnect my phone line, I have heard that is even more of a MEGA MEGA nightmare to sort out, because although it is pretty straight foward to get BT to reconnect the line it usually comes back on with no SkyBroadband on it which then opens another bag of very nasty worms!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast