Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Moving from ntl to SkyBB

This is a discussion on Moving from ntl to SkyBB within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have an NTL cable modem(and line) but Sky are quite aderment they need a MAC.Which may i add NTL ...

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Moving from ntl to SkyBB

I have an NTL cable modem(and line) but Sky are quite aderment they need a MAC.Which may i add NTL wont provide, as they say they dont have as it sky wont work on there equipment.
      I admit I do not know anything about LLU, however I did come across a forum here

Sky now accept LLU MAC codes

As from tomorrow, Tues 6th March, SKY will now accept LLU MAC's (Migration Authorisation Code) This is great news for those of you on an LLU ISP at the moment, wishing to move across to Sky Broadband.
      Not sure if this helps, but I have read somewhere that they must give MAC codes for LLU ... is ntl telling you lies?

Sorry if I am way off the mark.

2. Advertisement
      Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shikari View Post
      Thats not always true it seems. Im currently in the process of chaning from NTL to Sky BB. I have an NTL cable modem(and line) but Sky are quite aderment they need a MAC.Which may i add NTL wont provide, as they say they dont have as it sky wont work on there equipment.

However sky cant set anything up as it says we have cable internet here at the moment? Basicaly it seems the only possiable way to change right now is to cancel NTL, and then wait for Sky to set up there stuff a couple days after my NTL date finishes (less than 7 days Sky said)
      Isitme is right.

VirginMedia (ntl:Telewest) do also provide broadband over a BT line (used to be ntl:Freedom & Virgin.net), as well as cable broadband. If you switched from that (VM's ADSL) to Sky, then you would need a MAC.

However, as you're on cable broadband, not ADSL, then you do not need a MAC. Sky are wrong.

A MAC is only for migrating from one ADSL provider to another.

They have nothing to do with cable broadband.

And you do not need to wait for the cable broadband to be cancelled before having ADSL broadband.

Both can quite happily co-exist. Cable broadband doesn't run via a BT line.

scagger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wandsworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i can guarantee that if you have broadband supplied by a cable company
      you do not need a mac code or anything else to get sky b/b just a b.t line
      at this moment i am posting this message on my laptop connected to sky max
      while my son is in his bedroom playing an online game thru an ntl 4mb
      connection

Shikari is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bayswater
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah im on a BT line, from the 18th of this month sky i'll of been switched over to sky talk too lol

Hmm well then i need to talk to sky about this. As everytime i've called up sky they've spouted about they must have a mac otherwise cant do anything. But i've always believed that the two should of been able to run along side! (provided the ntl is on a cable line, which it is) so i was quite bemused when sky told me otherwise.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Did you put your BT number into Sky packages - How to get it

as I suggested and take it from there.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah i did that once before, and it claims that i already have broadband on my line, is there then the chance then that NTL have actualy registerd my line under them or somthing? (even though i recive my bb though a cable line)

scagger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wandsworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

did you transfer your original bt number to cable if so that is why you are having problems phone ntl and tell them you want your number given back to bt

Jonny4911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hounslow - LWHOU
      Broadband ISP: O2 Broadband Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scagger View Post
      did you transfer your original bt number to cable if so that is why you are having problems phone ntl and tell them you want your number given back to bt
      BT should do that 4 u. (im not sure but thats wat it says in the sky website)
      on that sky packge thing if ur on cable it should say:
      We can't trace your phone number as belonging to an active BT line - which you'll need for us to provide you with Sky broadband:

If you have cable, follow these easy steps to switch your cable TV, telephone and broadband to Sky:
      Book Sky TV online or call 08703 335815 and make sure you ask for the cable switching pack.
      Contact BT and order a BT telephone line or get them to reactivate your existing one.
      Once you’ve had your Sky TV set up, send the service cancellation letters we give you to your cable operator. Ask to cancel your Cable TV and Telephone package at this stage.
      Once your BT line is active wait up to 5 days, revisit these pages and re-enter your phone number to see which Sky Broadband products are available where you live, add Sky Talk Freetime or Sky Talk Unlimited and complete your online purchase.
      Once your Sky Broadband service is ordered cancel your cable broadband.
      If you’ve recently moved, it may be too soon for us to have a record of your phone number. We use BT’s own database – which can take up to five days for them to update – to check broadband availability where you live. So please check back in a couple of days. In the meantime, you can still join Sky TV, or upgrade your existing Sky TV package.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have a BT phone line, (with Sky Talk from the 18th of this month)

All the Sky websites says is:
      Sky Broadband Base, Mid and Max are available where you live - team your choice with Sky TV and Sky Talk for the perfect See, Speak, Surf combination:

* You already have broadband on this line and to switch to Sky Broadband you'll first need to obtain a MAC code from your existing broadband provider. Sky uses this code to ensure that during switching you're without broadband for only the minimum time (usually 30 minutes-2 hours). Your current provider should supply your MAC code within five working days of you asking for it - and you'll need to use this code within 30 days, otherwise it will expire.
      * In the meantime, you can still join Sky TV, or upgrade your existing Sky TV package. You can also add Sky Talk.
      But if i have cable, why should my phone number be registerd as having BB on it?

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Very weird...

How long have you had the BT line?

One of my workmates had loads of problems signing up to ADSL recently (AOL, lol), 'cos his BT line still had a "tag" on it from the house's previous owner.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast