Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband in a Flat

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband in a Flat within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I was wondering if somebody could shed some light on my problems with Sky. I live in a new ...

Mikeruk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackfriers
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Broadband in a Flat

Hi

I was wondering if somebody could shed some light on my problems with Sky. I live in a new apartment complex in Manchester and sorted a landline over a month ago. I ordered sky broadband and received my router and activation date promptly. Activation day has come and gone, waited the 3 days to call as the broadband light hasn't even flash amber to suggest it was trying to connect. Now sky have told me several times that everything from their end is activated, so im currently waiting for teir 3 to get back to me (5 days)... Ive tested the master socket, and all other telephone points in the flat, along with all the other steps sky suggested. Still nothing.... I wondered if anybody knows if something extra needs to be done in the communal areas of the flat, poss by BT?? When I did get the telephone installed the guy did mention something about the broadband provider having to sort something but i cant remember what he said. If anyone has any idea what my problem is so i can talk to teir 3 when they call i would much appriciate it.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband in a Flat

Could you have a party line ? I think they call it something else these days like multiplexed. Feasibly, if you've moved into a new development, BT lacked sufficient capacity and has twinned your phone with another on the same line -- that would have some effect.

Ring the operator and ask for the right department of BT to ask about technical stuff. For example, in the past (when I had a dial up modem) I managed to persuade the engineer to tweak my line's voltage which upped speed slightly. Hopefully, you'll find someone as helpful in your case.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've tried to speak to BT but they just keep saying that they have to have instruction from my ISP because i haven't ordered broadband through themselves. As far as i am aware the line comes from the exchange, to the ground floor of the flat, is then taken to the 11th floor, which is where my flat is, and then directed to my flat. As previously mentioned the chap that came to put in my landline did mention that something needed to be done to my line to allow it to use broadband, but at the time i just figured it was at the exchange. I've looked all over the internet for some information on telephone lines in a flat, and i have tried to get some sense out of the sales office in the complex, but to no avail. If anyone has any idea i would really appriciate some input as i get the feeling this could end up being dragged out for a long time. Also sky did do the tone test to my phone severel times and i did hear it, does this mean a broadband signal should be coming through? Is there a way to find out if the router is maybe faulty?

gareth824 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BE
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can you access the router control panel? To do this type:

192.168.0.1 into a brower then type the router username and password. If you can get in fine and the router says connected but you have no IP address then you may have a faulty router. This happened to me and they sent me a new router quite quickly.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I did have a look around this, it says its connecting.. but doesnt ever connect, im still a bit confused as to why the internet light has never flashed amber though...

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ah

That's what my current problem is. When I got my new router it started working fine and then went dead. No broadband at all and green or amber lights and the status screen in the router just says 'Connecting' but never does.

My problem with this started on the 7th Feb and it's just been fixed a few days ago so 1 month without any BB!

According to Sky it was something to do with Tie Pairs. I have no idea what they are or what they do but I think it's ridiculas that it took them so long to sort it out.

I hope for your sake that it's not that or your going to be in for some serious waiting.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well glad that you sorted your problem out, despite it taking a month. Well at least i can take this with me to tier 3, since i seem to have to direct the people on the phone in tech support. Was it a problem BT had to sort or sky? Im fully expecting that on friday, if they phone i will be put into another queue, wait another load of time, only to then be told exactly what i said on the phone originally. If anyone knows what these tie pairs are so i know what i am talking about i would really appriciate some info. Thanks for your advice up to now guys.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm not 100% sure who does the work at the exchange but when Sky finally admitted what the problem was they said it would take 10 days which is roughly what it took.

The phrase the lady at Sky used was 'Tie Pair Shift'. So If you can get them to move you could get it on in about 10 days.

One thing that did anoy the sh!7 out of me was the fact that they say they will ring you back and they never do. 3 times I was told they would ring me back each saying wait 5 days and nothing.

Don't let them fob you off by saying you have to wait for a callback. Tell them you want it doing now. Make sure you get any money refunded to. I hate it when they try to take money from you when they know damn well you are not getting any service.

I'm sure there are plenty of happy Sky customers out there but I ain't one of them