Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Please help me IM BEGGING

This is a discussion on Please help me IM BEGGING within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK this is quite a long one cos sky have been messing me around for quite a while now! My ...

dented_halo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glasgow Western
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Please help me IM BEGGING

OK this is quite a long one cos sky have been messing me around for quite a while now!

My problems with sky are as follows, firstly I have a very slow connection - I am on the max pack so should be getting 8MB now that theyve reduced the top line on that but im averaging about 0.5MB. In addition my connection is constantly dropping out - I will elaborate on both.

I have been through pretty much every option I can think of. One of he first things I was told to do was reduce the length of the phone extention cable to below 14feet and extend the ethernet cable - I now have a 10feet extention cable and a 10 meter ethernet cable which I have been informed is well within the limits of what can be tolerated before the signal deteriorates. I have ruled out the silly things like browser issues and viruses on various occasions using three different browsers (IE6, Firefox and primarily IE7) and carrying out virus and spyware checks with McAfee and Windows Defender as well as 2 complete fresh instals.

I have been told a millions different things by sky and they have tried to place the blame with me loads of times already but thus far I have been able to disprove that - I have carried out netstats constantly for a week to check that nothing else was using my bandwidth and the results of that were perfectly normal. Initially afer a lot of wrangling with teir one I managed to get one of the teir one techs to talk to a teir three tech and they turned off my ADSL 2+ and changed me to ADSL and capped my line at 8MB (this was while they still did 16MB) but that made no difference.

They have also tried to suggest that its cos i have so much cable between the socket and my computer but I have also had the same problem having none of the cable so thats ruled out although they continue to moan about that even though the the problem is actually WORSE with less cables.

I have been through the full teir one tech diagnostics even though they were clearly not related to the problem 4 or 5 times i think and tier three have made various suggestions which were all usless too - I have been promised a number of letters and callbacks in the past three months and as yet have never recieved a single callback or letter - except of course when the contract conditions changed!

I was also in their Emergency One queue which was meant to solve the whole problem and as a result of that I was capped at 6.1MB but i was never told about that either i only found out when i phoned.

The last thing that they tried was to change the router and I recieved that today but thats not made any difference either so i dont know what to do. Below are my stats which by all accounts are excellent:

System Up Time 00:30:52
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 5614 6577 0 870 3885 00:29:24
      LAN 10M/100M 8718 7462 0 4397 1046 00:30:50
      WLAN 11M/54M 236 0 0 26 0 00:30:40

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6144 kbps 256 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.0 db 11.0 db
      Noise Margin 15.6 db 13.0 db

Now there are also a few other odd things to note; firstly there is no rhythm to the dropouts at all - its completely unpredictable and can be within 2 seconds or 2 hours. Secondly the router detects a constant connections - even when I am unable to load a webpage the router is registering that I am connected at 6.1MB. Thirdly, when I am unable to load pages I am sometimes able to continue recieving downloads that were previous started and MSN will usually remain logged in. And lastly I can get a very good connection when using any download managers or Peer-to-peer.

I am at my wits end with all of this because sky are completely incompetant and in many cases are actually just lying to me now - any help any of you could give me would be greatly appreciated - FYI Most of the time I have been having these problems I was running Windows XP Home but I have just upgraded to Vista Ultimate - there is no difference in the problem on either platform.

Thanks in advance

Malk

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Please help me IM BEGGING

Have you tried turning the UPnP off, this has been known to cause lockups etc.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-routerstats.html

Towards the bottom of that page there is an explanation of UPnP - try turning it off.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah ive done that already - i had changed a few stats here and there as reccommended on the old router to no avail but as yet on this router the only thing ive changed in the UPnP - thanks for your reply though - very speedy :-)

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you tried resetting the router. I only say this because your stats show your downstream SNR as higher than upstream . I seem to remember some mention of a harmless router bug that has caused this problem before (normally when downstream reads 15.5db or so).
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah sorry should have mentioned that actually - when the connection is down I reset the router through the html interface and that makes the connection come back up. Thanks though

walmo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Balham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

don't know if it will sort anything else but i had a similar issue a while back where my browsers wouldn't work but instant messenger and other bits would work. I used winsockxpfix (google it) to sort it out as winsock appeared to have been corrupted. don't know if this will help but thought it was woth mentioning.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Im assuming thats not the problem cos ive reinstalled windows twice with the same problem from the outset and I now have Vista so im assuming that this tool wont work for me anyway now? Thanks

Draig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sly anymore
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you always had these slow speeds? Or did you get faster speeds with a different ISP?

Have you tried re-wiring your sockets? A worn/frayed/loose wire could easily account for the low speeds and highish noise levels.

I have recently started rewiring my sockets throughout the house, and gained over 1mb in d/l speed just by changing one socket from a bog standard DIY type of thing to a proper ADSL socket from ADSLNation. I am also going to replace some standard wiring with better RJ wire to hopefully further improve things.

geordieman54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Migrating from BT to Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Be Nice to get anywhere near the 8 or 16M on my Max Account.....line only capable of 3.5........as advised by Sky & BT!

Hell the exchange is only about a mile away be nice to get better speeds.....but I aint complaining any more at least it is working , should I add now, after the seemingly normal disruptions and delays on changing ISP's.

Wonder if Sky support will ever realise its working and call me back..only a month now.