Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can someone please confirm I am not going mad?

This is a discussion on Can someone please confirm I am not going mad? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I ordered Sky BB on 21st Feb. Unlike many others my router came through almost immediately. Unfortunately my activation letter ...

chacal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Knottingley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can someone please confirm I am not going mad?

I ordered Sky BB on 21st Feb. Unlike many others my router came through almost immediately. Unfortunately my activation letter still has not arrived (as of 6th March).

I just rang Sky to see when the activation is and got a very pleasant woman who told me I have been active since last Friday!!

I am no expert at all so have a few questions that I put to her but she said it was possible to use an old router with Sky. I understand you can do this but it seems a bit odd that I still have my old zen IP address (as of last night) and have never plugged in my new sky router into my line.

1. Is it possible to have 2 ISPs running at the same time? I thought not and that is the point of MAC codes. (uless it is because I am going from ADSL to LLU?)
      2. How on earth if I am on sky can I get through withought using my Sky user/pass and still have old zen IP?

I will be checking everything tonight but at this rate I will not be paying for zen but still using their services. I may cancel sky and have a ghost BB line!

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Can someone please confirm I am not going mad?

I have since rung Zen who have confirmed what I aleady know in that I am still on their network.

Sky are now also confused so they are contacting BT who have told Sky my line was Sky enabled last Friday (02/03) and I have to wait 48 hours to hear back from them. Should be interestting to hear BTs thoughts. Wonder if they activated an incorrect line?

At least the second time around to Sky I got someone who knew roughly what they were saying!!

sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You had also be careful to check your billing for both providers!!
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hehe good point. Zen DD will be cancelled as of tomorrow

I decided to have a quick look at BTs online order status and am even more confused now - I shall just let them crack on and wait till they get in touch!!

07/02/07 - CEASE BT IPSTREAM MAX
      PROVIDE LLU LINE SHARE PSTN
      Completed 07/02/07
      This was 3 weeks before I ordered so I assume this is an internal order when my exchange went live?

21/02/07 - PROVIDE LLU LINE SHARE PSTN
      PROVIDE SMPF TO SMPF MIG. ON TACTICAL
      Completed 02/03/07
      This sounds good so far as my order was placed on 21/02/07 and Sky told me my activation was on 02/03/07.

04/02/07 - CEASE LLU LINE SHARE PSTN
      CEASE CEASE SMPF
      Completed 04/02/07
      Here is where it went wrong maybe. I have had no outages at all but it seems 2 days ago they ceased LLU.

I know absolutely nothing about most of these order acronyms so have no idea if this is the norm (but I assume not).

Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi chacal

Have you checked to see what the BT order checker says about orders placed on your line?

If not go HERE & see what it says.

If you're not already registered with the BT web site you will have to register.

You should see an order detailing the cancellation of your previous (existing) service & one detailing the connection of your new service

*EDIT*

LOL.........you got there just as I was typing up my post. Oh well at least you know what it says now

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
      Hi chacal

Have you checked to see what the BT order checker says about orders placed on your line?
      Hehe beat you to it (just)

Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yes I know...lol

I just edited my previous post

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am now getting a little concerned about this. The only good thing is at least I am still connected to my old ISP.

I got a text message to my land line number (odd in itself) saying once again I am activated.

Just for fun I decided to plug the sky router in as a test even though I was 99% certain that it would not work as I was still with zen. Lo and behold I was right! The Sky router showed stats of 4MB down and din't connect. Basically just got those figures from my line when it got plugged in like any other router would. I have since plugged my old router back in and am writing this still connected to zen.

I then decided to try support again and it was an amusing converstaion to say the least. They have asked me to double check with zen to see if they can cancel!! Now correct me if I am wrong but on my other other migrations I have done I just get a MAC code and pass it to the new ISP and 'magically' one is ceased and the other starts. I assume BT do this.

I have never after getting a MAC code had to ring the current ISP and get them to cancel it. Although this wasn't the best bit. That occured when support started asking me about my current router with 2 specific questions that had me baffled and LOL'ing. For some reason they wanted to know the colour of my router to which I replied it wasn't a zen router but my own Vigor2600 and was black. He then asked me what colour LOGO zen used?!??!? I just cracked up and said I didn't honestly know. No idea if it went into the history of the account or not.

So, I am now still at a loss, I will try again tomorrow to see if anyone can help me out.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wooohooooooo I finally managed to get through to Tier 3 after being moved from customer services to provisioning to technical and back again many times over the last 2 weeks!!

She was very very helpful. She understood straight away I was still on my old ISP, did one simple test on my line and arranged for a BT engineer to check my line at the exchange over the next couple of days.

This does raise a question though. Why is this not 'normal' support? They were helpful and knowledgable and got further with my problem in a 5 minute phone call than other people have in 2 weeks.

It would save people ringing and ringing and ringing getting the same old 'you will be contacted within 5 days' and never get any call. This takes more time and frustrates all customers. Is it just so they can make money from phone calls? Or are there so many 'easy' questions that are solved by Tier 1 that they would be considered wasting tier 3's support? It would be interesting to know what percentage of calls are actually solved by tier 1.

It baffles me.
      Last edited by chacal; 19-03-07 at 10:38 AM.