Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Slow Speeds is this Sky Policy

This is a discussion on Slow Speeds is this Sky Policy within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello to All in the Forum I first joined Sky Max in November and after intial set period I started ...

jimlad60 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Slow Speeds is this Sky Policy

Hello to All in the Forum

I first joined Sky Max in November and after intial set period I started getting speed of 6.5 meg.
      Excellent I though a 50% increase in speed for 50% reduction in Broadband costs.
      Then in early Feb I started noticing slow down in connection a few speed tests later I found it running a 3.9 meg
      A check on the router stats showed a downstream reduction from 7114 kbps to 5000 kbps approx
      So a call to Tech support and after a host of resets changes in micro filters router resets I was given a ticket number and told to wait for a call.
      They called made a few ajustsments.
      Result downstream now running at 3520 kbps and download speeds running at 2.0 to 2.6 meg
      Been away for a few days on connection found pages loading very slowly.
      Did a few speeds tests result download speed 1.3 meg and some pages taken ages to appear.
      Called tech suport and after a do this done that conversation was given another ticket number and expect a call in up to 5 working days.
      In all this not one person can give me a resonable explanation as to why I could get download speeds of 6.5 meg for 8 weeks then find them falling and continuing to fall without any valid reason from Sky.
      It has been suggested that BT exchanges cannot cope with the move to Sky by so many users and gives you good speed to start with then slowly reduces the speed to cope with demand
      I don't no if this is true but I started with Sky Max Broadband speeds and if the reduction continues I will have Sky Max dialup

Sorry about this rant but for me Sky Max is really starting to suck

2. Advertisement
      Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Slow Speeds is this Sky Policy

Hi jimlad

Sounds very strange to me, what exchange are you on? maybe it's a problem other users connected to the same exchange are seeing.

Enter your phone number HERE to find out your exchange code & then let us know what it is

*Edit* Do you know how to get your router stats?? if not, have a look around in the tech section & read the thread about how to get your username & password from the router.

Your router stats will show what your actual connection is i.e. ADSL or ADSL2 etc. & whether you have potentially been capped.

Once you have your stats there is a thread here http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/ where you can post your stats for the techno heads to look at
      Last edited by Psycho; 05-03-07 at 01:28 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Psycho
      exchange Mansfield

wlman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't think it is just you and your exchange.

I was getting over 4Mb download at the beginning and now I'm on 300kb which is pathetic! Logging calls has not helped and reading other's rants it's not isolated.

One thing I have heard is that ISP's are setting some speed at a lower level to provide more stable connections to reduce the number of support calls.

I wished I stayed with Plus.Net. I had a 1Mb connection without any drop outs for nearly 2 years!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi wlman

Could'nt agree with you more about changing I'm starting to feel like a fool for changing, seeing Sky advertising 16 mg (does anyone get this consistantly) really does get to me

Thanks

You may well be right wlman, it wouldn't be the first time & won't be the last time that an ISP strangles connection speeds when thay are reaching the capacity limit on an exchange.

@jimlad. Following a 3 month period without any connection at all I have been connected since Jan 11 & have had a steady 16 meg connection, however I only live 250m from the exchange, Sky should have checked your ability to have an UPTO 16 meg connection before selling you the MAX package, now, I'm not sure this always happens as so many people on here that are connected to MAX have in reality no chance of ever having speeds above 5-6 meg.

I would get back onto Sky & ask them if this check was carried out & if so what the results were.

Also try to get your router stats as they really will reveal what (if anything) potentially has been done to your connection.

Good luck

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for advice Psycho will give that a try.
      But I am coming round to the opinion that Sky & BT have something to do with slow speed and its time Sky was more honest in Its advertiements

walmo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Balham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi i'm on connect, but like the original poster i was getting 6.5-7 mbs connection but in the last few weeks it's dropped down to about 3.5 whatever the time of day. I'm only a few hundred meters from the exchange (Balham) and my line was stable so there seemed no need to cap it. Does it sound like i've been capped?

Thanks

I know how you feel mate, trust me I had my fair share of Sky woes

On the advertisement point, well lets just say that if every company that advertised their services was 100% open & honest they would sell very little. As with most things, the devil is in the detail

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by walmo View Post
      Hi i'm on connect, but like the original poster i was getting 6.5-7 mbs connection but in the last few weeks it's dropped down to about 3.5 whatever the time of day. I'm only a few hundred meters from the exchange (Balham) and my line was stable so there seemed no need to cap it. Does it sound like i've been capped?
      It's hard to say walmo, in the same situation I would ring Sky & ask, if they say No then report it to them as a fault.

Also see my post above regarding router stats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast