Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

CHAP authentication failed - any ideas.

This is a discussion on CHAP authentication failed - any ideas. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; On Sky Connect which has been working OK(ish) since activated about 1 month ago. Was working at the weekend but ...

Sc00by is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

CHAP authentication failed - any ideas.

On Sky Connect which has been working OK(ish) since activated about 1 month ago. Was working at the weekend but this morning would not connect. I checked the router and have the following info:

Connection Status
      Connecting to Server - Failed
      Negotiation - LCP down
      Authentication - CHAP authentication failed

The weird thing thou is the modem screen also shows this:

Modem Status - Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed - 2432 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed - 535 kbps

The UpStream Speed seems wrong to me as this looks to be higher than connect UpStream Speed. As far as I am aware my Exchange has not been LLU Unbundled for Sky and I was on GDMT connection.

Any ideas welcome, if I can avoid a long and wasteful time on the phone it would be good. As due to my recent experience with Sky I trust and believe them about as far as I can throw them.

2. Advertisement
      Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: CHAP authentication failed - any ideas.

Sc00by

CHAP = Challenge Handshake Protocol. This is the protocol used for accepting you password etc for logging onto the system

Basically what the router is telling you is that the DSLAM you connect to at the exchange is possibly down or has a fault

Ring Sky straight away & make them aware that you have a problem

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The CHAP is done with the RADIUS server (not the DSLAM) which resides at Sky (or where ever they host them).

Could be however the DSLAM has got itself in a state and isn't proxying off to the RADIUS server. Usually these kinds of problems correct themselves within 30 mins, if not call Sky.

Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by armitasp View Post
      The CHAP is done with the RADIUS server (not the DSLAM) which resides at Sky (or where ever they host them).

Could be however the DSLAM has got itself in a state and isn't proxying off to the RADIUS server. Usually these kinds of problems correct themselves within 30 mins, if not call Sky.
      Of course, that's why he is still synching to the exchange, cheers armitasp you've enlightened me.

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

no problem

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the responses, guess I'll phone Sky when I get home. It has been down since before 5am. So I guess it is not going to sort it's self out anytime soon.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by armitasp View Post

Similar to the response I got from Sky, but the 30 mins is now, it has to be down for 48 hours before they will pass the problem to Tier 3. To be totally honest I was disgusted in it. I spent 18 months with my previous provider and have encountered more problems in 1 month with Sky then I did in 18 months with the other.

The impression I got from the people I talked to at Sky seemed to be sick of the problems and even said that given the choice they would not get Sky Broadband. They remarked of too many problems and not enough staff to deal with them and Tier 3 has a backlog so when a problem goes to them it can be a week before it gets looked at. Checked this morning and my connection is still down, so will call back tonight and see what happens.

I must say that if things don't improve I can see me leaving Sky for not just Broadband but TV as well.