Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will going wireless improve my connection?

This is a discussion on Will going wireless improve my connection? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I already have a thread about how slow my Sky Max connection is: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...s-so-slow.html To summarise it though, I ...

Topper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hounslow
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Will going wireless improve my connection?

Hi, I already have a thread about how slow my Sky Max connection is:

Why are downloads so slow?

To summarise it though, I am getting a connection of about 9mb but cannot download anything or do a speed test that gives me more than 200k/sec dl rate, normally its more like 100k/sec or lower.

Here are my stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8990 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.5 db 16.6 db
      Noise Margin 9.2 db 12.5 db

I'm on ADSL2+, I live 450m from the exchange, I can see no reason why its so slow.

I've called Sky and after going through everything they suggested and it having no difference, they said that the problem was almost definitely because I am using an extension cable from my master socket downstairs to my PC upstairs. The guy said that with Sky this kills your connection and that I am lucky to be getting any speed at all because I'm using an extension. He said that he thought that this is so common that Sky should make this clear before people sign a contract.

He said that changing to wireless will almost certainly make the speed improve a lot, I just wanted to see if anyone else can verify this? Its just that I've often seen people in threads saying that to improve speed you should use wired connections instead of wireless.

And if I do this, how do I do it? I'll need to buy a wireless usb adaptor as I don't have one.

Then what? Is it: l---------phone
      l
      master socket -->microfilter------l
      l
      l---------router

then plug my wireless usb adaptor into my pc and the the PC will just recognise that there is a connection, or is it more complicated?

2. Advertisement
      LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Will going wireless improve my connection?

Wireless will almost certainly be slower than wired.

Best scenario is router in BT master socket, long network cable from router to PC(s).
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So you think what the Sky guy told me is rubbish? If so I don't want to wast 25 on a wireless adaptor.

What do you mean by 'long network cable'? - do you mean the yellow ethernet one that right now I use to plug my router into my PC? Or do you mean the grey cable that connects the router to the filter - 'RJ11'? Please be specific as I'm new to all this.
      Last edited by Topper; 04-03-07 at 01:08 AM.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Like that but longer.

Instead of having the router upstairs by the PC, with a huge phone extension running to it from the master socket, have the router downstairs by the master socket (plus replacing the faceplate on the master with a filtered faceplate would be a good idea if you haven't done it already).

Then, with the router downstairs, & so the cable from the master socket to the router nice & short, you could either:

a) Get a wireless adaptor for the PC.

b) Get an ethernet cable, to run from the router all the way upstairs to the PC.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice Tezcatlipoca.

Which should make for a better connection - the ethernet cable or wireless adaptor? (still hearing a lot of conflicting info about which is best - wired vs wireless. ie the Sky guy said the extension is my problem, but the consensus on the net seems to be that wireless = slower)

What is a filtered faceplate and how does it help? I have checked that only wires 2 & 5 are connected - has that got anything to do with it?

So I think this is what I'll do:

connect master socket to microfilter. Microfilter goes to phone and to router. Ethernet cable then goes from router upstairs to the PC, correct?
      (or wireless adaptor in place of cable if I go for that)

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Wired (ethernet) is better than wireless. It's faster, more stable, & doesn't suffer from interference from things like cordless phones, mobile phones, microwave ovens, etc.

Although you use ethernet at the moment, the problem is apparently due to the length of (phone) cable from the master socket to the router.

So, if you had the router downstairs, by the master, & then used a long ethernet cable, or used wireless, you'd eliminate the phone extension problem.

Personally, I'd use ethernet, but wireless would also be fine (as either way, you'd have got rid of the phone cable length issue).

Filtered faceplates are used to replace the normal faceplate on a BT Master. They have the microfilter built-in, & give you two sockets on the front instead of one - a socket for the phone (like normal, but filtered), but also an RJ11 ADSL socket (unfiltered). They also filter the extension connections on the back (so any hardwired extensions would become filtered at the source). You can get modified filtered faceplates (such as this one from Clarity - Main Entrance - Clarity UK), which have an extra bit on the IDC connector at the back, giving the option to run a hardwired unfiltered extension (for ADSL) from the back, as well as a filtered phone extension. Using a filtered faceplate, & having the router connected to the ADSL socket, is the best way to connect.

Making sure only wires 2 & 5 are connected is good. Wire 3 is the ring wire & is unneccessary & causes lots of crap & noise.

Your plan - yep, that's fine. Although to top it off I'd get a filtered faceplate.
      Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 04-03-07 at 01:35 AM. Reason: typo

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have done just as I said and set it up with a long ethernet cable going from the router downstairs to the PC upstairs.

Speed tests are maybe slightly better - getting 2000 to 3000kbps, (speedtest.net, dslzone test and speedtest.bbmax) but no where near the 9.7mb I am supposedly connected at.

Am I right in assuming that getting a wireless adaptor would make no difference and be a waste of money?

Interestingly enough, if I try to download this file that I know is on a fast server:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...4B7DD18/VC.iso

it will download at about 250k/sec

If I use Free Download Manager it downloads at 900k/sec - the speed I should be getting all the time!

So surely this proves that its possible to get this speed and there is nothing wrong with my extensions?

So why is the connection at least three times slower all the time except when I use FDM?

There are loads of things I want to use the connection for that FDM can't help with - eg streaming trailers or videos or downloading stuff onto my xbox 360.

How can I sort this out?

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Whilst you can never believe what Tier 1 tell you, I would say your attenuation seems high for the distance you live from the exchange. Also you noise margin seems a little low (although not that low). Have you tried plugging your netgear box into the NTE5 socket to see if there is any improvement. Internal cabling will always degrade the quality a little.

I route my dsl line through internal cabling and see around 1db increase on the attenuation. However mine is so low it makes no difference

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Although I'm 450m from the exchange as the crow flies, I've been told the actual distance is probably more like 1.6km.

I haven't tried plugging the router into the NTE5 (is this the master socket?)
      Right now a microfilter is attached to the master socket and then the router is attached to that.

My point is that surely its not a wiring/extension problem if I can download at 900kb/sec using Free Download Manager. It is clearly possible for me to dl at that speed but it just doesnt.

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Even taking into account that 450m is a straight line the attenuation still seems a little high.

The NTE5 socket is your BT master socket, take the cover off the font of it and inside you will find the test socket, plug you microfilter into that.

Also use the netgear tool to get your stats and see what your error count is like.

Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast