Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Setting up sky Broadband on a wireless network

This is a discussion on Setting up sky Broadband on a wireless network within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm just about to come over to Sky Broadband from cable (hope i've made the right choice) as I'm ...

Richardod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Upminster
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Setting up sky Broadband on a wireless network

Hi,
      I'm just about to come over to Sky Broadband from cable (hope i've made the right choice) as I'm taking the whole package thought might as well have the broadband,
      At the moment I ave my broadband through the se top box ethernet cable to the pc through a Linksys router and running a lap top wirelessely from there.
      I'm getting my line changed to BT nest week so as I can have sky broadband can anyone tell me what is the best way to set this up on sky and in what way will it change from the way I have it at the moment.
      Is it just one wire from the phone socket in to the router then ethernet cable into the pc so i can still have my laptop wireless, I just have visions of wires everywhere as well as the one coming from the dish.
      I have signed up for the max version (up to 16mb) but have heard it can be as low as 1mb in some places is there any truth in this??
      The internet is important to me and i need it to be reliable how reliable are people finding it on here ??
      I had to come to sky because of the changes Virgin made I know the TV is excellent but have a few worries about the internet side just after some honest advice to be honest

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Advertisement
      Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Setting up sky Broadband on a wireless network

Should be the same way as you have it set uop now, just one wire from the phone socket to router then ethernet from router to pc.

Take a look at this link for wireless setup

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-wireless.html

As for speeds, well, that depends of course on the noise on the line, distance from the excchange etc, etc.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db