Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Frequent disconnects and stuff, strange line attenuation issue

This is a discussion on Frequent disconnects and stuff, strange line attenuation issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So i've been reading a lot on these forums about logging into the router, line attenuation, the UPnP bug, i'm ...

SniperwolfDX is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Frequent disconnects and stuff, strange line attenuation issue

So i've been reading a lot on these forums about logging into the router, line attenuation, the UPnP bug, i'm not sure what applies in my situation.

Basically yes, my connection lasts around 17 minutes each time (connected between 3.5 and 4.0 megs) before freezing, I have found that 9 times out of 10 I can fix this by unplugging the router's power cable and plugging it back in when it's frozen, which leads it to reconnect and stay online until whenever I want, however the system tray icon says 'Not Available' on the speed.

Having looked into logging into the router, I have discovered the following:

This is the stats of my connection at around 7:00 am this morning (after a late night gaming session) AFTER I had done the unplugging-after-freezing fix (as mentioned above) around 5 hours earlier. A couple of hours later I turned off my PC (router included) and then came back on at around 6:00pm, an hour ago.

It did it's usual lockup, so I did the usual fix. However I noticed something very interesting on the stats:

This was BEFORE unplugging my modem and plugging it back in (and before the connection froze)

And this was after, where the system tray icon said the connection speed was 'Not Available', but according to the router it is the same.

What confuses/interests me though is the Line Attenuation difference. How can my line be half the distance from the exchange, then double? Obviously this is not true, but there is something very wrong here, and I don't know what, hopefully someone here can help me.

Another thing, when the router has locked up, I cannot log into it, going to 192.168.0.1 just acts like any other webpage that won't load. I thought I might be able to reboot it from within but doing the power cable trick is the only way.

Does my situation call for disabling the UPnP? I'd rather not tinker with settings that I don't need to before I find out what is wrong.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Frequent disconnects and stuff, strange line attenuation issue

Welcome to the forum

Yes it certainly sounds like you are suffering the UPnP bug. Turn it off in the router and then reboot both the router and the PC.

The change in attenuation is also a (benign) bug. For some as yet unknown reason the router has problems reporting the correct attenuation and displays 15.5db. Rebooting (sometimes it need resetting) fixes this.

sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hiya

Firstly the 15.5 db attenuation is a known bug and you will either need to reboot the router or reset it at the back there is a mini hole needing a pin or something similar.

Secondly unless you need ports open you can very safely uncheck the UpNP it will not cause any other problems.

I know there is a lot reading on this forum the bets place is on the sky user links, at stickywiki, reading the part on http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you for the quick replies.

Would disabling the UPnP mean I no longer have to reboot the router to fix the attenuation problem, or am I just stuck with having to do that each time it freezes? And should I be leaving my router on 24/7, or will turning it on and off keep giving me this problem?

Sometimes even turning the router on and off just repeats the 17 minute cycle from the beginning but I will give the UPnP a try, thank you for your advice.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yes. Turning off UPnP will almost certainly stop your router freezing. Your symptoms are very indicative of a UPnP problem.

It's up to you but the router is designed to be left on.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have disabled UPnP and there are a couple of differences so far.

Firstly, I have been online for 45 minutes with no disconnections.

Secondly, the icon for the internet connection in the taskbar is not there, and looking in network connections it does not exist there either, but I am connected to the internet.

I still have 15.5db as my line attenuation but I am not going to reboot my modem until needed, I shall update again tomorrow. Once again thanks for the advice.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Disabling UPnP has solved my disconnect problem just fine, but there are other issues it seems. This was the main one, so using the internet is a lot easier.

However, I have to leave the router on 24/7 (as intended) but there was a power cut the other day, so when I turn the PC back on the day after, no websites will work despite the modem seemingly being connected and all. I notice the 15.5db attenuation persists. I turn off the power to the router, back on, it goes to 42.0 like it should. Still no websites work. After considering cancelling my Sky broadband I gave it another try, and rebooted again, waiting longer with the power off this time. It works. I have been online since (about 60 hours up time now) with it working fine aside from the odd thing.

I play World of Warcraft for long sessions, and I have noticed that my MSN and AIM instant messengers will both disconnect at the same time, and then reconnect a few seconds later, yet websites and Warcraft are unaffected. Later on I was using Ventrilo on top of all these (voice chat program) and I started getting big lag spikes a couple of hours later. I noticed my noise margin was down to 4.0. Not wanting to reboot the modem AGAIN I turned off Ventrilo, MSN and AIM and it went back up to 9.0. I started all three programs and managed to use them for a couple of hours with no problems, before going to bed.

If anyone can provide me with any further info about my situation, I would be eternally grateful, thank you.