Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting broadband

This is a discussion on Connecting broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have a few more days before my BB gets connected but hardware turned up today. I'm wondering how to connect. ...

elyobelyob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connecting broadband

Have a few more days before my BB gets connected but hardware turned up today. I'm wondering how to connect. I currently have one phone line which is now connected into the back of the Sky box. I have no idea what the implications are in removing plug from the TV box and not allowing it to dial up - i.e. giving my BB this line.

Alternatively, can I split this line without lowering my signal?

Just wondering what the general install method is, I guess.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connecting broadband

In the box you will find some microfilters, these have one short cable with a phone plug which goes into the socket on the wall, then it will have 2 output sockets one for the phone/sky box whatever and one smaller socket to plug the router into. So this effectively splits your line, you should fit one of these filters on every phone in the house whether you are using your router at that location or not. The broadband will have no effect on your phones providing it is all plugged in correctly.
      Run you install CD, it shows a very good step by step guide of what to plug where. There should no reason to disconnect the Sky box, But if you did and you are within your first 12 months then you might get a letter from Sky to say please plug it back in, they do check.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's the thing ... I already have a microfilter. My one socket is plugged into my home phone and, now, the Sky box. I'm wondering how to get a third (i.e. BB) into this.

p.s. what does the Sky box use the phone line for?

p.p.s. Can I use a second microfilter at the end of the first filter's PC link (i.e. just before the Sky box) as a splitter? I'm concerned that I'd be lowering the signal level.

Thanks
      Last edited by elyobelyob; 28-02-07 at 11:20 AM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you haven't had broadband b4 then the splitter you already have is probably not a micro filter it will be just a splitter, but yes it is Ok to plug this splitter with Sky box and Phone into the supplied microfilter socket 1 and the router into the microfilter socket 2.
      The main issue with signal is long extension cables, If you only have one main socket and everything is plugged into that then you shouldn't have a problem.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

The Sky box use's the phone line for:

Ordering box office movies / Some Sky active services and for Sky to check the box is still there if you are within your first 12 months contract. It is in the terms and conditions that it remains connected to the home phone line.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've just moved from Homechoice, so yes it was ADSL I had before. The way things are currently laid out is ...

main socket has microfilter ... the phone socket goes to telephone. the ADSL socket goes to microfilter #2.

microfilter #2 now splits to Sky TV (phone socket) and BB (ADSL socket).

I'm just wondering whether having two microfilters inline before the router is a good idea. However I don't really have a lot of choice. I guess I could replace microfilter #1 with a splitter, but then I'd have the incorrect plug from the Sky box to filter.

The router needs to be at the end of the long wire as I need to plug equipment into it. There again I'm now thinking of relocating some of my equipment.
      Last edited by elyobelyob; 28-02-07 at 12:20 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

main socket has microfilter ... the phone socket goes to telephone. the ADSL socket goes to microfilter #2.

I am getting more confused by the minute! you shouldn't be able to plug a second microfilter into the ADSL socket because the input lead on the micro filter has a standard BT plug where as an ADSL socket is smaller.

Anyway the best configuration would be to have a microfilter plugged into your main socket with the router located there and plugged into the ADSL output. Then the phone output of that same microfilter split to your phone Sky box etc no further filters required. All the filter does is filter broadband noise from you phones so you dont get a buzzing in your ear, If you split the output of the first filter then it has already been filtered and dosen't require further filtering.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I know, confusing isn't it!

I can't run any more wires from the phone socket to the "entertainment centre", but would ideally leave the router dependent equipment where it is. However, relocating it is my first thought.

Basically, the wire from my filter #1 to filter #2 is the small type. Included with filter #2 is a BT plug to small phone type. This was used to convert from big to small.

What I think I will do is put the ADSL on filter #1, then get a splitter for telephone/Skybox.

However, I will, for now, wait for the BB to be enabled. I can then check the signal strengths etc. It may do it no harm whatsoever going through two filters. However using the second filter as a filter has worked quite well.

update : it didn't work. The sky box wasn't getting a phone signal. Seems that moving my router reliant equipment is the best idea. Which means re-wiring everything around my desk to free up more plugs. I'd like to see Sky turn up and try and fit the equipment into my network!

Thanks for sticking with me!

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The Sky Box contains an analogue modem and must be plugged into a normal telephone socket. Your easiest option is to plugged the filtered ADSL/phone connection into your main BT socket and plug your extension into the phone side of the filter. You then plug your router into the ADSL side of the filter. Longer ADSL wires can be obtained if the supplied one is not long enough. If you have extensions hardwired to the BT socket, then these will require a filter at the phone end. The best solution is one of THESE if you have a modern type main BT socket. With this extensions can be hardwired to the back of the filter plate, allowing you to dispense with loose filters.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks, I've hopefully got it all working now. The Sky router is plugged into the ADSL side of the #1 filter. I've then put a splitter into the phone side. My home phone goes into that splitter, plus a #2 filter as the Sky box has a "small plug" and not a BT "bigger plug".

Now I have to decide whether I will run a network cable around to other hardware, set up my wireless linksys router as a bridge, or just move the hardware nearer to my new router.

Well, I decided to move the stuff closer. Don't you just hate having to go under your desk to muck around with wires, especially when you didn't label your plugs properly, and you haven't got enough plugs to install everything. Also, why do they make these PSU's so bulky and impossible to plug into anything without losing an extra plug space.