Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

The Weather, Power Cables and stuff

This is a discussion on The Weather, Power Cables and stuff within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks, Can I pick your brains with a couple of questions? My line length is huge! and Sky came ...

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Lightbulb The Weather, Power Cables and stuff

Hi folks,

Can I pick your brains with a couple of questions?

My line length is huge! and Sky came along I was stuck on dial up. Thank you Sky!!

Consequently I have resigned myself to not getting the speeds that it seems 99% of the population can get. Since Skys unbundling Ive gone from dial up to now averaging between 500 700 kbps downstream which Im happy with, though because of the line length tends tend to make my attenuation around 63 db upstream and a noise margin of between 6 and 7.1. Obviously not the best!

Anyway here are the questions.

1 Can the weather affect the speeds I get, Ive noticed that during heavy rain or winds my speeds can fall to under 150 kbps and dont return despite numerous reboots of the router etc

2 Obviously because of my line length, noise and attenuation are real issues for me. This morning I noticed for the first time that my BT line runs parallel with my mains power line along the outside wall of my home for a couple of feet they are about 5 cm away from each other. Will that have an effect? Would it be beneficial to shield them somehow?

Thanks

DM

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: The Weather, Power Cables and stuff

Weather can affect -- moist air getting into contacts manifests itself as audible noise on the phone.

You don't mention using wireless but marginal signals may be affected by moist air (in my limited experience).

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

2 Obviously because of my line length, noise and attenuation are real issues for me. This morning I noticed for the first time that my BT line runs parallel with my mains power line along the outside wall of my home for a couple of feet they are about 5 cm away from each other. Will that have an effect? Would it be beneficial to shield them somehow?

If its only for a couple of feet I dont think it will make much odds, If your phone line travels back to where ever on overhead poles I'm sure it probably encounters a few high voltage overhead power lines on route which are more likely to cause issues rather than your few feet of 240v.

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thanks for replying to my query. Moisture is something I hadn't thought about at all, and obviously something I can't do anything about - same goes for any potential issues regarding the power lines/Telecom wires into the village.

I was trying to squeeze that final little bit of downstream out of the pipes. Nevermind.

Ta

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lol unfortunately not, I have seen in some villages BT lines hanging along the same poles as the power, I'm not sure of the voltage but think it is a couple of thousand volts before it reach's the substation!! I dont suppose they concidered broadband back in the days they were put up!!!!

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Overhead BT cables only have to have a minimum clearance of 1 metre from power lines. Also overhead cables has insulators at each end of any power crossings.