Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

They won't turn interleaving off

This is a discussion on They won't turn interleaving off within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi forum, I’m a bit hacked off at the minute. As the subject states, Sky have said they simply cannot ...

AberdeenGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Denburn
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

They won't turn interleaving off

Hi forum, I’m a bit hacked off at the minute.

As the subject states, Sky have said they simply cannot get interleaving turned off for me on my Connect service.

I find this quite unbelievable as I've had it removed twice in the past by two different providers.

After reading the reply to my original mail to them requesting that they turn it off, I was 100% confident that the sender had absolutely no idea what interleaving was or which channel was the appropriate one to go down. I hope it's the same with this latest reply, which said that interleaving is something they cannot change.

I'd like to know if anyone has had any success getting interleaving turned off on their Connect package, or if they had to go straight to BT themselves (doubtful).

Thing is, surfing faster and gaming were the only reasons I got broadband in the first place, and with now almost unplayable pings of 85ms bear minimum (consider that most of my competition are from England and play on 40ms ping maximum) I see this as constituting a loss of my expected service, which hopefully will allow me out of the contract early.

Bear in mind that I live in northern Scotland, and my pings were far from low even on fastpath.

2. Advertisement
      The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: They won't turn interleaving off

the information you have been given is correct, it will not ne switched off, and it is not a way to get out of your contract. thats the simple straight non sugar coated aswer.

You are however welcome to continue to try and also try contacting customer services about cancelling but you will find your wasting your time. how long have you had the service? what was your ping previously on your fast path isp? what speed are you currently getting?

You may not like the answer but I dont beleave in telling you any sugar coated rubbish as it would simply anger you more.

ps. average ping of 60 seems fine considering your statement about not fantastic pings previously. and please remember if your playing online a higher ping on interleave is better than a lower fastpath ping with alot of issues. low ping but you wont half be warping about the place (assuming fps)

Sky TV:
      Thanks

You have no idea what you're on about, 'migo.

As stated my ping with interleaving is 85ms if I'm lucky and play at ungodly hours. I play on a server located in the Netherlands and the BBC website is the lowest ping that pretty much anyone in this country can get due to its central location and proximity to most ISPs HQ.

Anyway, I'm glad to report that the effectiveness of good old hate-filled angry emails can still inspire some positive results; I've to give it up to 5 days before the interleaving is turned off.
      Last edited by AberdeenGuy; 28-02-07 at 03:56 PM.

NoXioUs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bolton LOC
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Interleaving can be switched off.
      I have been switched to fast path. The reason they wont do it is because it causes ur line to be unstable and drop out more often. Mine is like that but im a gamer and would sooner have a low ping and a couple of more drop outs.

You need to speak to tier 3 they are the only ones that can do this. Tell them u understand the risks but u would sooner have a lil more unstablity and have a lower ping.
      I used to ping jolt.co.uk @ 40+ms i now get 19ms

[EDit] sorry didnt see ur on connect. Dont know about connect but Max u can.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah it's all good mate. I don't have to make any more calls; they're doing it for me.

Also, I won't have an unstable line now because I've discovered a tool called DMT which allows you to alter your noise margin, which is the problematic element in an ADSL connection for longish lines like mine.

Nice pings I ping around 40ms to Jolt on fastpath, which is a hell of a lot better than what I'm getting now. Interleaving added over 20ms to my ping.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 28-02-07 at 09:21 PM.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Glad you got it sorted, for them to change it was very unlikely, but your persistance has paid off. Just hope it works ok for you when it is actioned.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AberdeenGuy View Post
      Also, I won't have an unstable line now because I've discovered a tool called DMT which allows you to alter your noise margin, which is the problematic element in an ADSL connection for longish lines like mine.
      Are you sure this tool works with MaxDSL as well as LLU?

M4TTA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMLH
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

this is intersting as this is the problem i have. I play on jolt servers also and ping 80 - 90ms. I used to get 30-40 on my old connection.

Do i need to speak to CS and get a call in? whats the best way of handleing this guys?

Any advice would be great

edit*

Pings here:

Last edited by M4TTA; 01-03-07 at 12:36 AM. Reason: added pings pici

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

the whole thing with t3 turning you to fast path realy does depend on who you get and how willing they are to try it. trust me
      As I said it was very lucky if you are going to get it actioned as your on connect someone has obviously put the request through for you.

And "You have no idea what you're on about, 'migo" in witch part are you refering to, the fact than a 60ms average ping was shown in your post or the fact that fastpath is more unstable than interleave and if you have a poor connection will cause issues?

M4TTA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMLH
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

just rang and i've got a ticket raised to tier 2 tier 3, spoke to a guy called Frank who was ever so helpful and understanding about my situation.

Said i should be pinging about sub 30 to a uk server which i agreed, and he also agreed pinging 70+ to a uk server was un-acceptable.

Guess we'll see what happens next.. What should i expect? should i expect anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast