Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

They won't turn interleaving off

This is a discussion on They won't turn interleaving off within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew Are you sure this tool works with MaxDSL as well as LLU ? It works with ...

AberdeenGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Denburn
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: They won't turn interleaving off

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Are you sure this tool works with MaxDSL as well as LLU?
      It works with any DMT compatible router. Doesn't matter whether you're on ADSL/2/+.

"Guess we'll see what happens next.. What should i expect? should i expect anything?" They better bloody well do it for you, as well as for me, that's what I say.

"the information you have been given is correct, it will not ne switched off, and it is not a way to get out of your contract. thats the simple straight non sugar coated aswer."

Sounds pretty definitive, doesn't it? There is absolutely zero chance they'll ever turn it off for me- this guy must really know what he's talking about.

And by the way, fastpath isn't any more unstable for me than interleaving is because I'm on a 9dB target margin which means I don't lose sync anyway. I actually inadvertantly turned interleaving on myself. And my ping was 60ms to the BBC site, if you knew much about online gaming you'd know there are pretty much no servers which can equal the BBC's ping from the command prompt. My old pings to the server I play on were around 60ms on fastpath, which already put me at considerable disadvantage. 85ms (usually around 100ms) is just a non-starter when playing English/Dutch people on sub-30ms pings.

Anyway, I'm happy that the initial email turned out to be from a clueless rep and that they're turning it off now.

2. Advertisement
      jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by AberdeenGuy View Post
      Yeah it's all good mate. I don't have to make any more calls; they're doing it for me.

Also, I won't have an unstable line now because I've discovered a tool called DMT which allows you to alter your noise margin, which is the problematic element in an ADSL connection for longish lines like mine.

Nice pings I ping around 40ms to Jolt on fastpath, which is a hell of a lot better than what I'm getting now. Interleaving added over 20ms to my ping.
      Interleaving on connect is determined by BT's DLM system and dependant on line conditions (as it is on all "BT MAX" based products that are ordered wiith interleaving permissions set to auto)
      It's possible that they can get BT to switch the circuit back to fastpath by raising a fault, but (from experience) BT will be reluctant to do this and even if they do, the DLM could switch it back to interleave again if it determines that your line is producing too many errors (not nessecarily dropping) at any time.
      Last edited by jb51053; 02-03-07 at 03:09 AM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jb51053 View Post
      It's possible that they can get BT to switch the circuit back to fastpath by raising a fault, but (from experience) BT will be reluctant to do this
      From experience, they'll switch it off without any hitches, as they've done for me on my two previous providers.

As stated, I initiated interleaving, albeit unintentionally, and now I want it back on fastpath which they said they'll do for me.

With my line now with a margin of 9dB rather than the 4-6dB it was at before, I get less than 20 CRCs in a day.

M4TTA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMLH
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

AberdeenGuy, what sort of margins are we talking about here? Out of interest, my line stats are:

Line Attenuation 23.0 db 16.0 db
      Noise Margin 16.4 db 13.0 db

Sky TV:
      Thanks

With my line now with a margin of 9dB
      That's my lmargin and I'm seeing zero problems. Some people have their margins teetering around 6dB and below in order to squeeze every last bit of bandwidth out of their line. I'm not one of those people.

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

if you knew much about online gaming you'd know there are pretty much no servers which can equal the BBC's ping from the command prompt.
      I remember when pings to blueyonder an jolt servers used to be 11-14ms back before every noob and his dog had bband, ahh those where the days.

So have they switched it back to fastpath for you then? and just to clarify its not just the noise margin that determins how stable your line is on fast, but you know that anyway and with 20 crcs a day it should be okayish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12