Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Activated on 15th Feb - No Internet Light

This is a discussion on Activated on 15th Feb - No Internet Light within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi i'm looking for some advice as to what i should do next as Sky tech support have been less ...

williamsdaduk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Activated on 15th Feb - No Internet Light

Hi i'm looking for some advice as to what i should do next as Sky tech support have been less than helpful.

My sky broadband activation date was the 15th Feb and i've had the sky netgear router setup waiting for the internet light to come on since that date.

This weekend, I phoned the order line to verify that my line had been activated which they confirmed. I was referred to tech support.

When I spoke to the tech support woman she went through the usual things like checking i'd connected it all up properly etc. I am not a novice user and have setup broadband routers countless times before. I assured the woman on the phone that this is not a problem with filters or connections as i had spent 2 hours trying everything i could think of including using different adsl filters and cables. I also plugged in my old router just to see if it could detect an adsl line, this too came up woth nothing. The tech support woman also did a tone test on the line. I heard the tones so i presume that means i dont have a problem at the exchange as suggested on other posts i've read here?

She has now assigned the case to some other tech support dept and told me to wait 5 days.

This is really causing me a problem now as i have just got a job working freelance from home which starts on 5th March and i HAVE to be online by then.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do to resolve this myself? i've read some posts that say it could be something to do with the wiring in the master phone line box?? I had a service from tiscali running on the same box for 3 years with no trouble and my telephone works fine so i'm confused as to why this is occurring with the new sky account. I'm beginning to wish i'd stayed put!!

Any advice would be gratefully received, especially if you have had this problem and resolved it!

Thanks
      Chris

2. Advertisement
      gareth824 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BE
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Activated on 15th Feb - No Internet Light

I had a similar problem which was that I was activated on the 26th Jan but no ADSL light. When I logged into the router it said I was connected an every now and then an IP address would appear and I was able to view web pages but no green light.

It turned out to be a faulty router. My problems are still not resolved nearly a month after activation date. I requested a MAC last week. If you need BB for work as I do then I would not put your faith in these people. They are useless. I'm off to BE.

agentwalker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Similar to yours only they couldn't work out the problem, accound to there provisioning everything as active however when they did the test it clearly showed it wasn't. They wen't back and forth with BT a few times without luck.

In the end Sky canceled the BB service and attempted to place a new order. So far i'm at the stage where sky have managed to get the old badged order removed from their system and BT etc and about to reorder. This has taken as for 6 weeks and i still havn't got a date when the new order will be done.

good luck mate but I wouldn't hold out much hope for march if I was you.

madman11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Snap mate, i was supposed to be active on the 9th but no internet light. My old router doesnt pick up adsl signal either and i keep getting told that engineers at the exchange are working on it and they cant give me a set time. I called today and i got told to wait 3-5 days for tier 3 to call back. I hate sky.

williamsdaduk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have to agree wholeheartedly I too now HATE Sky. What I didnt mention in my previous post was that this is the second time i've ordered, as my first order was cancelled after 10 days wait because they sent the wrong postcode on my order to BT!

I dont know what to do now... if I stay put I might have to wait indefinitely. If I go somewhere else and it turns out there's something up at my end then i'll be in the same predicament.

A friend has suggested I go with BT Total Broadband because, seeing as the socket is owned by BT, if there's a problem with it they will come round and fix it.

Any thoughts? has anyone used this service? its not 5 a month like sky but if it works then it will be delivering a better service than sky have! can I get a MAC code from Sky even though technically i'm not receiving thier service?