Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow speed...

This is a discussion on Slow speed... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Just wondering if I am getting the correct performance from my Sky Broadband or if i'm missing something ...

Jimrod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow speed...

Hi all,

Just wondering if I am getting the correct performance from my Sky Broadband or if i'm missing something here?

I am on the connect 8mbps package and from discussions with both Sky and BT my line should be able to handle around 2600kbps, I am 1.5km's from the exchange and am in a new build house (2 years old) using the only available phone terminal.

I installed about a month ago using the Sky router and my existing Netgear 54mbps Usb 2 adapter. To start with my speeds were 3-400kbps but after calling Sky Tech was told to wait the 10 days etc... Well the connection now seems very stable at 1350-1400kbps at any time of day or night (peak periods seem no different to 3:00 or 4:00am!) and I have ran the optimising utility program featured elsewhere on this site. The speeds I get seem similar on half a dozen or so speed testing sites I have tried so should be fairly accurate. Obviously this is quite down on the advertised speed, though I am well aware you are unlikely to get the maximum quoted!

Sooo... I was just wondering if this is normal or should I complain to Sky etc to at least try and get the 2.6mbps my line is supposed to handle?

Cheers for any help!

Jim.

2. Advertisement
      stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow speed...

Firstly to eliminate wireless as being the problem you need to connect you computer/laptop up wired to the router. Then you need to login to the router and get your stats and post them here. (There is a link on the right hand side of this forum if you don't already know how to do this). It is likely that you could be connected at a much higher speed than you are seeing, and it is slow due to the wireless. I would also think you can achieve a higher speed than you have been quoted by sky.

zimzala is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am on the Sky Mid package. I was having a similar issue only getting speeds of around 400kb via the netgear router (wireless). The wireless signal strength was quite weak (2 bars on my Mac G5 only in the next room).

I decided to have a bit of a play and connected my old clamshell iBook via ethernet and shared the connection via the airport. This was giving much stronger signal and allowing speeds much closer to the 3mb available as quoted by Sky. (I am using speedtest.net to monitor the connection speeds)

Because the iBook test worked I connected my old Buffalo WBR-G54 router to the netgear one via ethernet. It automatically started sharing the signal and my test showed that I was getting about 2.8MB download and about 300KB upload.

I'm not sure that I have helped you in your situation here much, I am certainly not suggesting that you go and purchase another wireless router, but if you have an old one then it may be worth plugging it into the supplied netgear one and see how you get on.

Jimrod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info, I can't connect directly at the mo as I don't have a long enough ethernet but I am giving my dad my old wireless netgear router (basically the same as the Sky one but not the GT version) and old wireless USB stick, I am going to get a 108mps USB to replace it and when I have it set up will test the speeds to see if there's an improvement...

Oddly enough since I posted this my speeds have increased a little to 17-1800kbps!