Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Quick question

This is a discussion on Quick question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just cancelled AOL so I can move onto Sky, but I was a bit confused by the guy I ...

OhNoes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sidcup (LSSID)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quick question

I've just cancelled AOL so I can move onto Sky, but I was a bit confused by the guy I spoke to on the phone.

He told me he would be sending out an information pack - is this the router/login information, or just a letter? He didn't ask for a MAC or seem to check what my line was capable of. Will I need to wait the 10 days for BT to clear my line before I can register? If so, how much longer after I've signed up will I need to wait for activation?

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      When you say cancelled AOL did you get a MAC or did you ask them to cease the account?
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I asked for a cease, since I'm on their LLU and Sky wouldn't accept the code. I'm prepared to wait until the line is cleared, just wondering if I prematurely cancelled and will be waiting an extra week or two since it appears I'm a step behind.

Paul10590 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      i think you've done the right thing, you had to cancel aol, hopefully it should coincide perfectly, ie aol comes off your line and sky goes on!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I hope so, I can wait until October since I'm already paid up for this month. They were offering free dialup until I'm fully up and running. Guess I just have to hope everything goes smoothly.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes unfortunately there is no MAC path for LLU migration yet so you had little choice but with luck things will go quite fast once the line has been cleared.

Good luck and do keep us all updated.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT order tracker shows that broadband is to be completely ceased on the 8th. starting to get a little nervous now because of how long its going to take. Am I right in assuming it's going to take 10 days to clear the marker, 10 to reprovide and 15 to be activated? seems like quite a long time

EL_PRESEDENTE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      well what me first call to orange said around 30 to 35 days in all.

but then i got some good fella basically once the line is ceased and goes off i dont mean just u cant connect to your isp i mean goes off or flashes like it did while you was waiting to be activated the first time they say to wait up to 5 days as the info needs to filter through and there database updated but i waited 3 all in all this transfer will take 18 days i hope.

but cheap dialup is easy to find with a flat rate fee and a freephone number its got me through so far