Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Security ?

This is a discussion on Security ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I think ill be dipping my toe in the Sky broadband package, but just a quick question, Sky as i ...

Yorkiebar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Security ?

I think ill be dipping my toe in the Sky broadband package, but just a quick question, Sky as i understand uses a wireless system so u can say use your laptop in the garden, ive been told that other people can intercept the signal and get info from your pc? being a tech noob could i get some advice on this topic please , ive not had time to search the forums so if it has allready been posted sorry. tHX yORKIE

2. Advertisement
      sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Security ?

Hi have a quick lookie on the right hand panel of the screen Skyuser links/set up your wireless that should help.
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload

tdbsolutions is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The Sky wireless system is a security enabled network and whilst other wireless users can see your connection on their PC's they cannot access the nework unless they know/gain access to/ your 'Network Key'.

When I have a look at available wireless users in range of my system they all mention that they are security enabled and if you try to access it asks for the network key.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There's a lot of nonsense talked about wireless security. As you can see from this site, while some people have great knowledge of networking, most have little. The risk of anyone in your neighbourhood having the intention, let alone the knowhow, to attack your system is slim. Particularly if you live in a
      suburban setting where few people will actually be within effective range, unless you put the router by a window.

More likely is that someone may stumble onto your link instead of theirs in error and end up stealing some of your bandwidth. Whether this would slow you down more than the overhead added by WPA or WEP encryption, rather depends. The security risk is limited if the computer wasn't previously networked and you haven't set up any folders as Shared.

What's clear is that Sky's default of encryption causes people problems setting up and they may lack the know how to disable it to get the system working. Old 11B wireless adapters which are still otherwise usable have utilities that only support WEP, not WPA, which adds another hurdle. I found
      myself confused by the required length of passwords when letting Windows manage a connection instead.

Obviously, security makes sense in many circumstances -- but in most I think it just makes the technology more difficult than need be.

Yorkiebar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry for not thanking those that gave replies as i have been away ..so thx again for the replies