Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless help please!!!!

This is a discussion on Wireless help please!!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK - after some minor buggering around, I got the router to actually connect to Sky and the internet connection ...

Chaos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01606
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Wireless help please!!!!

OK - after some minor buggering around, I got the router to actually connect to Sky and the internet connection via the ethernet cable is OK (a bit unstable, but nothing that the odd reset doesn't cure)

My major headache is with the wireless and ICS to the PC upstairs. I've got a Ralink RT2500 PCI card adapter in there, which is showing as being connected, but it just isn't!

I ran ICS on both PCs, I unistalled and reinstalled the software, I even updated the other PC to XP (from ME) and STILL I get no internet connection, printer sharing or anything else. I've tried quite a few variations on a theme, but whilst the tray icons insist that I've got a network (cunningly titled 'Home Network'), I clearly haven't

The only thing that I'm thinking may be relevant is that the PC I'm on now (being hard wired into the router) shows as 'Unknown Internet Connection Sharing device' when I run the ICS wizard - but I even tried to run both PCs as hosts and that didn't work...........

No doubt I'm just missing something simple, but, TBH, I'm starting to lost patience - and I know all I'll get off Sky CS is that I need to buy one of their wireless adapters..........which I'm hoping isn't the case.

Anyone care to run through this in 'Dick and Jane' language for me????

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Wireless help please!!!!

OK, I'm getting desperate for help here.

I've managed to stabilise the hard wired connection (plug and pray turned off!!!) but I just can't get the wireless to work.

I've been through all the channels to little or no avail, turned off security until I get a connection, but here's my current issues.

Adapter upstairs won't get an IP address off the router. Occasionally it decides to give itself a 197 address. I've given it a manual address in the range and pinged it from the router, but can't ping the router from upstairs. It's never shown up in the router control panel as being an available device, nor has the 'network' shopwn as being available from upstairs.

It shows connected all the time, even when it has the wrong IP addy - and I just never bothered too much about networks before, so everything I'm doing is just guess work!!!

Can someone PLEASE help, as the upstairs connection is for my young lad who is pestering me to death as to why 'his' internet isn't working.............

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm not familiar with the brand of wireless adapter you mention, but I would assume that it worked with a previous installation and supports the 11B or 11G wireless standards of the Sky router. It may or may not support WPA encryption but will probably do WEP.

I also assume that the adapter is installed and you are familiar with its user interface utility. It may show a signal from the Sky Netgear router unless you are beyond its physical range (you mention that the wireless-ed PC is upstairs
      and many people have problems in that situation). In my experience PCI wireless devices are the best for range -- but if the aerial is a fixed unit you may have to turn the computer around.

I suggest that you start by talking to the router via the computer which works on a wired connection.

Into the address bar of your browser (Internet Explorer ?) type 192.168.0.1 which is the address of the router. You should see a sign-in box and enter the word admin and the password sky. You should then be in Netgear settings and be able to make adjustmenta.

First I suggest you turn off security (WEP and WPA) and log out.

If the computer with the wireless adapter shows a signal from the Sky router see if you can now connect.

Other things you may have to change:

The Netgear uPnP setting should be disabled.

The wireless frequency (e.g.if you are on channel 1 and a neighbour is on channel 3, move to Channel 8 or further). If you have a cordless phone turn off its power while setting up your wireless system.

If all fails you might try buying a Netgear Rangemax wireless adapter which, as the name implies, may be more powerful than the existing adapter.

Once all is working, re-enable WEP or WPA.

wingnut is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Frequency is a good one, if you use a video sender for the TV or have cordless phones or a neighbour does then change the channel, (I use channel 11) which may enable you to connect.

Thanks

OK - all is well!!! After all the messing about, a simple repositioning of the router (from the floor - near to the PC, to the second shelf of my computer desk) raised the signal strength enough for the DHCP to kick in and give the upstairs adapter a signal strong enough to catch an IP addy!! (was previously not getting an IP or giving itself a 197 address)

WORD OF WARNING THOUGH!!! I immediately set about running Windows Update to get a virgin XP setup to something like up to date and the whole thing went **** up! A fresh install back to basics sorted it, so maybe I'll run a few updates until I find the 'Hotfix' that screwed it all up! (Have to say though - the windows update ran at proper quick speeds!!!!!!!)

I ran 'unprotected' whilst setting up, and then put the encryption on - oh, and I'm running on channel 9 which has bypassed the previous interference on the wireless TV sender thingy.

I've got a 2Wire Router sitting around that I might try at some point (or keep as a spare) - but with Plug and Pray turned off, my Sky router is playing quite nicely at the moment!!

Happy days!!!

tdbsolutions is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Windows Update - watch that as mine was on 'automatic' and it downloaded IE v 7 which threw mine off kilter. Had to delete and download v 6 again.....
      One day you are the pigeon, but most days just the statue ...

sc0tsman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: livingston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Try disabling security in router settings and see if that connects ok.