Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sky Broad - The "good", the BAD and the UGLY

This is a discussion on Sky Broad - The "good", the BAD and the UGLY within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Been signed up to Max for 2 weeks.....Nothing but problems bpth technically and with tech/Cust support. For 2 weeks I ...

GPKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesbury
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Broad - The "good", the BAD and the UGLY

Been signed up to Max for 2 weeks.....Nothing but problems bpth technically and with tech/Cust support.

For 2 weeks I have constantly been rebooting my router. Sky promissed to send a new one out over a week ago. Guess what - no replacement router yet!!!

Spoke to tier 3 tech support (not Sky), and advised that my line cannot handle 16mbps and that I should stay on 5mbps. (Why am I still paying for 16mbps then? - because Sky cannot/will not downgrade your package).

Cust/tech support have promissed me so much and delivered F*** all. Got to the point now (having spent 4 or 5 hours on phone to Sky) that I written to Mark Anderson, Customer Marketing Director at Sky, copyimg in all the authorities (advertising Standards, Trading Stabdards, Ofcom, etc) and posting on sites like this one.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Sky's tech support have not got a clue. Their customer support dont give a damn. If you ar efortunate enough that it all works straight out og the box, then you are one of the lucky ones. Otherwise prepare yourself for untold stress, hours on the phone and nothing being done to resolve your problems. DONT SAY THAT I DIDNT WARN YOU!!!!

Seemed too good to be true. It is too good to be true. BIG, BIG disappointment from a household name that I had grown to respect and trust over a number of years. Wish I had stayed with my 2mbps / 2GB transfer deal with Wanadoo/Orange for 17.99 - more expensive, slower and more limted on data transfers. But at least it worked - I had more probs with Sky in day 1 than 2 years with Wanadoo.

More than happy to discuss.

Gary

2. Advertisement
      Paul10590 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Seems a bit ' unfair ' to say the least. A brand new startup company and your expecting them to have years of experience?

Why do you keep rebooting your router? Why don't you post us some router stats?

We'd at least like to help on this board

EL_PRESEDENTE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      well within the first ten days your sposed to have some issues due to the thing bt use to detect how stable your connection is and what is the best speed/performance ie your router will hang maybe reboot alot. now max dsl has some problems but did you try plugging your router into the test port on your main phone point (as pointed out by huggie) it may be an internal wireing problem i know what your saying i was with freeserve/orange/wanadoo for nigh on 4 years 2 days of down time 1 being when the cat ate through the line and 2nd when they moved me to 5mbit (when i connected at 608kbps)
      its quite possible where regular adsl worked fine internal wireing problems in your property may be to blame for the real problems you are having.

remember its quite easy to badmouth something before you have even recieved a proper response or even the new router

but tbh im not even on the service yet so im sure your pretty upset by this
      but they do say up to 16mbit not everyone will get 16mbit youll only get what your line will handle i dont understand why your contacting advertising standards.

mrmojo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      It's an up to 16mbit service. You're still getting unlimited data transfer, a free activation & install (if you opted for it).

As I posted in ADSLguide, post some line stats and we can see where the problem lies. Good chance of it being your internal wiring not up to scratch for high speed services -- I know mine wasn't -- went from <2MBit to 4-5MBit on ADSL1 as soon as I fixed that.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site GPKing

Sorry to see you seem to be having problems with the router but at the end of the days its a piece of technology and as such they can and do break, I must admit I do find it strange that Sky have said they would sent you a replacement and haven't done so that one thing they are very good at as they do that with there Sky Boxes all the time.

Ok lets clear one thing up

Nobody is paying for 16mb everyone is in fact paying for up to 16mb so in theory they can give you any speed they want so I would say you are on a long line if they are telling you 5mb is better for you I know of no ISP that will give you all sky do for 10 a month.

Though I can understand your frustrations please refrain from swearing and shouting, one thing I find really strange is you say you have written to all these bodies about your experience and for the life of me I fail to see what any of them can say or do for you. To be honest if you did the same thing on the phone as you did on here then it really doesn't surprise me that they are not being as helpful as they could be.

SkyBB is a new ISP on a huge learning curve and as such anyone who signed up over the past month or signs up now and for the next couple of months must know that they are guinea pigs and will be helping SkyBB sort out and shape the way SkyBB will work in the future, or at least that the way I see it.

Seeing as you were on a 2mb package with Wanadoo/Orange you have not had the pleasure of MAX Adsl because if you had you sure wouldn't be giving SkyBB such a hard time as a lot of people on here will agree was a total mess and a real pain for a long time.

I hope you manage to get things sorted out but if you hope to get anywhere you really do need to learn to calm down as loosing your rag will not really get you anywhere.

Good luck Gary.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I accept that this is a relatively new service and that there are bound to be teething problems with it. What I find hard to accept is that Sky's support folk have said they will call me back - they did not call back. They also promissed to send out a replacement router over a week ago - I have not recieved this yet. Furthermore, I do understand that Max is UPTO 16mbps and I really was not expecting to actualyy get 16mbps. BUT, I certainly would expect more than 5mbps. I was recently told by their tier 3 support that it would not be adviseable to remove the 5mbps limit as this would more than likely cause more problems. Fair enough, but why should I continue paying 10 for a service that Sky cannot provide? Why cant I downgrade to the Mid oackage at 5 per month. True, Max is unlimited and Mid has a 40GB limit. In my 2 years with Wanadoo I never went over my 2GB limit, therefore I cannot see me using more than 40GB. I signed up to Max for the speed, NOT the unlimited transfers.

I have posted my stats on the other site, as well as the letter that I have sent to Sky. If you can take the time to read the letter, you should be able to understand my utter frustration with Sky.

Finally, I have been very reasonable to all the support people at Sky who I have spoken to. I do not see any point in losing my rag with them, have never shouted at them and I certainly have not sworn at any of them.

Regards

Gary

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Paul - I have to keep rebooting because the router itself seems to lock up. At these times I cannot even access the router settings. All the lights are on as expected. Also, I have been advised to press the reset button at the back, but this does not function correctly (The tick is supposed to go orange, flash and then go off - the tick just stays on and a power down is required).

El_Presidente - I am involving Advertising Standards at this point due to the fact that I got them involved originally with regard to the sign up process. Sky had advised me that I could recieve a service, then said that I could not, then said I could. You'll need to read my letter on ADSLguide if you want to fully appreciate my reasons.

I maintain that Sky Broadband should be avoided (for the time being anyway). Sure, its a new service that is bound to have teething problems, but the way in which the service is being supported is totally unacceptable (in my experience). I'm sure that Sky would get very upset and take legal action against me if I refused to pay my broadband bill, so why cant I get upset when they are failing to provide the service that I am paying for?

Regards

Gary

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I understand what you are saying and as to why the failed to call you back only they will know as a lot of people have received callbacks form them including myself and the router could well be on its way to you there have been a large number of posts on here about routers being late or not showing up and SkyBB are looking into this or so it has been said.

As for down grading to the Mid product as you are connected to LLU I am assuming it would mean a cease and reproved and you would then be put on the ISPStream BT MAX Adsl not sure about that but since you say they will not let you I would say thats the reason, still they are still providing you with the service you signed up for all be it at a lower speed its still a hell of a lot faster that the one you had prior to SkyBB and so is the upload speed.

I personally thing 10 a month for any speed over 2MB or 5MB and unlimited to be a great deal for anyone I remember what I paid when it first came out.

I will take you at your word about the way you have spoken to SkyBB but you must admit from they way you posted above anyone would have come to the same conclusion that I did.

All I can say now is good luck and I hope you do get it all sorted out.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

mrmojo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You posted good line stats on adslguide, you should be able to get a much higher sync than that.

Either it is a faulty router OR you have big spikes of noise coming on your line every so often causing it to hang.

Have you plugged your router into the master BT test socket? As shown on http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Try plugging in there and repost your line stats here.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

MrMojo,

I must admit that the router is not even plugged into the main BT socket, but to an permanent (sp?) extension upstairs. I will most certainly try plugging into the main socket and the master test socket this evening and will report back with the stats.

However, am I right in assuming that this is for determining the quality of my line and has nothing to do with the fact that my router keeps locking up? When it does lock up I cannot even access the router config settings from either my PC (connected directly) or my laptop (wireless). All the lights on the router are on as expected, including the internet connetion light.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast