Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Sky Broad - The "good", the BAD and the UGLY

This is a discussion on Sky Broad - The "good", the BAD and the UGLY within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; lol gpking i think your totally in the wrong. How are they supposed to know your running some crap firewall?! ...

Paul10590 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      lol gpking i think your totally in the wrong. How are they supposed to know your running some crap firewall?! Not to mention you didn't have the curtousy to turn it off to try. I have no time for people like you who won't even try things and then blame sky support staff!

2. Advertisement
      GPKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesbury
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Paul,

How the hell am I supposed to try things if I do not know that they can be causing the problem. We're not all technical know-it-alls. I guess that you think anyone with a computer should and must know everything about how they work. Maybe before calling Sky I should have formatted the HD and reinstalled Windows and all the other software I have on there.
      Running some crap firewall? Well, the one I have is based on ZoneAlarm and is far from "crap". Why didn't Sky ask me as part of the troubleshooting if I had a firewall installed?

I am more than happy to try things out, but I am not as technically aware as most of you guys, so how the f*** am I supposed to know what to try out? It is only from the HELPFUL suggestions that I have recieved from other people on this site that has HELPED me in working towards diagnosing the cause of the problems. In fact, it was someone at Sky that assured me I had a faulty router and assured me that they would send a replacement.

Tell me, if you went out and bought a new car and it went wrong on day one, wouldn't you get a little upset with the garage? What if they expressed a certain lack of knowledge of cars? What if they promissed to get back to you? What if they promissed to give you a new car?

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      @GP King, I really do understand your frustration, but please refrain from swearing whilst on these forums. We are trying to create a constructive environment, not a battlefield, so that we can help people where ever possible.

As regards your point about cars, It is a valid one, a more apt comparison would be if you bought a car and fitted your own souped up exhaust to it then expected the garage to instantly diagnose a problem over the phone when they have no knowlegde of the additions you have made.

In my experience most support departments, for PC hardware and software will officially only provide support for issues caused by their product. As with so many other things on your pc, it can be an impossible task identifying the issue. It is often the case that unofficial support forums, such as this one, will provide more up to date information as the constant sharing of information and fixes from many experts in many areas cannot usually be replicated in one companies support department.

That said, I do not think for one minute that your experience with Sky has been a good one to date. I hope that if your problem is rectified that you will go on to enjoy a better experience in the future.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      if i went to a garage and got a car- but the difference is you added something to your computer, so it would be me conencting something to the cigeratte lighter and the car not starting, mmm let me take that out OMGOSH it works again.

Firewall - obvious, virus checker - obvious. Its basic and not skys fault.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      damn hugsie you beat me 2 it about the car thing

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      LOL

spcdust is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Easy everyone.....you're ALL getting a bit upset about this.

GPKing has a point that the staff at Sky could have done a bit more to help resolve his issue and gone through a simple step-by-step list of elimination. To be fair the reports concerning technical support don't seem to be that postive.

Paul10590 has a point that GPKing may have been able to do more to help himself and has been given some sound advise on this thread that may resolve his issue - he just has to follow the steps people have given him.

MrMojo - you're a forum moderator and you really should know better than to post what could be construded as slightly inflaming the situation (AKA yada yada).

Stevelondon seems to have offered his advise which GPKing would do well to heed - it may work it may not.

And hey, as we're all dipping our oar in on this thread....Trading Standards, ASA - really there is no real case here for them to be interested in and maybe it was a bit premature to start making those sort of noises.

Now come on......Group Hug :

spcdust

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes I agree with both of you (and apologies for the language).....

However, the firewall was already on my PC and has been on it for approx 12 months, during which time I had no problems whatsoever with Wanadoo/Orange.

I apprecite the nature of the beast when it comes to PC's in that no 2 are the same in terms of hardware spec + software installed + config settings. However, again in my defence its not exactly as if i am running some obscure firewall, am I?

Back to the bad language bit.....I am frustrated enough with the problems without having responses such as Paul's which seems to assume that anyone experiencing problems would naturally decide to disable the firewall prior to calling for help. I came on here looking for help/advice and that is what I have gratefully recieved (mostly). Comments such as those from Paul are in no way helping to solve the problem and were in fact offensive, hence my response.

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      @paul10590
      People like you can be a pain in the rear as well,
      Ok GPKing could have started his thread, with out the F?**

But his main complaint, which is born out by others user's remarks,
      are about Sky's customers services, or should that be lack off Customers services...A promises of a return phone call should be kept, even if it's to say sorry no further update.

But people like you, who have no problems, seem to think those that do and complain, are troublesome,
      But if it was not for the complainer's, then nothing would ever change, big companies & employer's would walk all over their customers/staff.

But hey!! you just sit back and reap the benefit.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In response to spcdust's post, I have not called Sky for a couple of days and am in the process of trying to diagnose the problem with the excellent help that has been offered on here (thanks again).

Last night I did not have any probs when using my master BT socket and only my laptop connected to router. Tonight I shall be trying Steve's suggestion with my desktop and will report back.

Come on guys, there's only so much that I can do in an evening. I wanted to ensure that I could get a decent time uninterrupted, which I did last night. One step at a time.

My decision to inform the authorities was based more so on the lack of reasonably acceptable support offered by Sky to date. I really have spent hours on the phone to them with very little help being offered. The number is not a freephone number and I do not appreciate being constantly put on hold whilst the reps struggle to find answers.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast