Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Sky Broad - The "good", the BAD and the UGLY

This is a discussion on Sky Broad - The "good", the BAD and the UGLY within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by GPKing MrMojo, I was online for just over 2 hours last night and suffered no interruptions to ...

stevelondon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by GPKing View Post
      MrMojo,

I was online for just over 2 hours last night and suffered no interruptions to service whatsoever.
      Tonight I will move the router back upstairs and plug it into the permenant phone extension socket. I'll connect my laptop only and see how I get on. If I have another trouble free night of surfing, then I guess the culprit will in fact be my desktop PC.

If it does turn out to be the Desktop PC, what suggestions do the folk on here have? Will I be looking at a rebuild or do you think I could get away with less drastic action? BTW - I have Bearshare installed on Desktop, but have not tried running it since moving to Sky. I run regular virus & spyware scans and use a software firewall which is based on ZoneAlarm.

Regards
      Gary
      Hi Gary
      I have already told you its the firewall on your desktop pc that is the culprit
      you will find if you disable it from starting up and running then reboot pc and router like i said in 2 previous posts then re-enable it on low or the equivalant when its stable for at least 3 days then put the setting back as it was , it will only happen again when you change any settings in your router.

Regards

Steve
      ***Steve***

2. Advertisement
      GPKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesbury
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry Steve - I will do exactly that tonight and report back my findings.

Is there any logical (and easy) explanation as to why this happens?

Regards
      Gary

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stevelondon View Post
      Hi Gary (if ur patient with this it should work)do u have your own firewall installed on ur PC im assuming u have? go into ur own firewall settings and say if u use Zone alarm (as an example) in programme control main tab adjust it to low which is learning mode do the equivalant with whatever firewall u use then uncheck to stop it from starting up when u turn ur computer on then turn off ur pc (dont restart it) then power down ur router and give it at least 30 seconds 10 minutes is better then power up ur router first then put ya pc back on (make sure ur own firewall hasnt started up if it does u will have to repeat the process again) it wont hurt as the Netgear firewall is powerful and see how it goes and keep checking now and again that u can surf and access the routers interface after say about 3 hours start up ur firewall again and it shud be ok but if you change any settings in ur router u will probably have to go thru the process again.
      The only other solution is to turn off ur own firewall as at the moment ur double firewalled . It is important that u do the process in the order i specified its a nuisance i know but it works if u want to use ur own firewall too. hope this helps.
      Regards
      Steve

Hi Gary
      I have no idea and sounds bizarre i use Zone Alarm and was racking my brains when it happened to me and getting very frustrated till someone told me what to do if you follow the above that i posted to u yesterday it shud work, let me know how you get on.

Good Luck

Steve
      ***Steve***

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Steve, I still dont understand why or how changing the firewall settings on my desktop as you described will help.....

My laptop does not have a firewall....
      I have experienced on several occassions that whilst both desktop and laptop are connected to router that neither of them can get to internet or router config. Why would changing my Desktop firewall settings fix the problem with laptop access? I'd understand if just the desktop was unable to access, but when both cant then that would suggest router problem?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If you read a previous post of mine it tells you that both my pc's that was connected to my network cudnt get online untill i sorted out the firewall why? i have no idea , but u said in ur post last night u had disconnected your desktop completely from the router so only ur laptop (WITHOUT a firewall) was directly connected and you were able to surf with no problems but you cudnt before, but anyway ive tried explaining to you what ur problem is i can't do anymore than that, its pointless saying anymore.
      If you try it make sure you do it exactly how i said or it won't work.

Good Luck

Steve
      Last edited by stevelondon; 05-09-06 at 11:50 AM.
      ***Steve***

mrmojo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Firewalls can do various things which upset networks. For example, they can modify the ARP table in a vail of security but end up breaking the entire lot. Or the firewall could be sending malformed UPnP requests to the router causing it to crash.

Anyway, there's no real need to run a software firewall when the netgear has a decent built in firewall.

Seems a shame you had to flip out and write to all those agencies when a little self-diagnostics would work wonders.

You should also contact Sky and ask them to change the limit placed back on your line as you should be getting much better speeds than 5mbit, now it appears that your interal wiring or desktop was at fault.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

MrMojo,

I "flipped" because nobody at Sky could offer any real advice on how to diagnose and fix my problem. I "flipped" because they promissed to call back on more than 1 occassion, but didnt. I "Flipped" because thet said they would send a new router........

Anyway, even now we cannot be 100% sure of the cause of the problem. I will continue my testing by plugging in upstairs, following Steve's firewall instructions, etc. This may still take a few days to complete.

Whatever turns out to be the cause (and hopefully the solution), it will have been thanks to you guys on here for your help. Why Sky couldn't provide good assistance like this is beyond me.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up

To be honest it was only after a few weeks of pure frustration and posting on 5 different forums someone offered me a solution and it was solved in 2 secs by just disabling my software firewall and 3 hours of uninterupted surfing i knew for sure, so when i upgraded from my old DG834G to my present netgear the problem returned after the process its fine again, anyway let me know how u get on bye bye and good luck.

Regards
      Steve
      ***Steve***

mrmojo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I "flipped" because nobody at Sky could offer any real advice on how to diagnose and fix my problem. I "flipped" because they promissed to call back on more than 1 occassion, but didnt. I "Flipped" because thet said they would send a new router........

I'm not complaining at you for getting annoyed with sky (though I don't see how they are meant to be able to diagnose this issue, if it is a faulty firewall) , I'm complaining that you had to write to trading standards, the ASA yada yada yada when you could of stuck with it. It doesn't help anyone and wastes everyones time.

Then again, some people are never happy.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I forewarned them (the Sky reps) that I would take the issues further and said that I would include Trading Standards, ASA, etc. There's only so much "sorry sir, but I cannot help you. I'll get someone to call you back" that I can take. Countless times I was on the phone to them for 30+minutes - most of the time on hold whilst the Sky rep tried to find answers for me. The last person I spoke to at Sky had me on hold for 15 minutes whilst she looked for a postal address that I could write to.

Now, I am not pointing the finger at the reps, but at Sky for not employing support staff with a high level of technical understanding.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast