Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sky Broad - The "good", the BAD and the UGLY

This is a discussion on Sky Broad - The "good", the BAD and the UGLY within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; spcdust, your using os x 's firewall behind a router!!! I use tiger with a router, i've never EVER used ...

Paul10590 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      spcdust, your using os x 's firewall behind a router!!! I use tiger with a router, i've never EVER used the firewall with os x and i have been using macs since 1996. Lol its not needed at all.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      @ spcdust

I would have a software firewall as well, the firewall on the router blocks incoming and a software one stops outgoing as well.

Always handy to see what is leaving your machine

The one i use is Kerio made by sunbelt software, dead cheap, however i dont know if it work on a mac :-(

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

stevelondon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi

Yes the Netgear router firewall is powerfull and adequate but in my opinion if your not experiencing any problems leave ur own firewall as it is or on a low setting .

cheers

Steve

Goodnight All
      Last edited by stevelondon; 05-09-06 at 01:03 AM.
      ***Steve***

spcdust is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul10590 View Post
      spcdust, your using os x 's firewall behind a router!!! I use tiger with a router, i've never EVER used the firewall with os x and i have been using macs since 1996. Lol its not needed at all.
      No, up until now I've been using an ethernet modem (ADSL Nations X Modem), so no firewall built in hence using the OSX one.

@NewsreadeR
      @stevelondon

As far as using the software one as well as the router one, I figure as long as I keep the relevant ports enabled on the "soft" firewall to allow network traffic to pass through then hopefully there should be no issues. As far as I understand it Port forwarding on a router firewall is the term used to describe allowing traffic to pass through specified ports, is that correct? If so I imagine I'd just need to Port forward the same ports that I've defined on my "soft" firewall?

spcdust
      Last edited by spcdust; 05-09-06 at 01:11 AM.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      As far as I understand it Port forwarding on a router firewall is the term used to describe allowing traffic to pass through specified ports, is that correct?
      If you wanted to play a game for example BF2 or COD2 and host that game, that is where you would forward a port so that your pc can be seen by the outside world.

If you wanted to join a friends server, then the firewall would not come into it at all as your traffic is outgoing so to speak.

If you wanted to do Bittorrent then you would need to forward port 6881 (usually) so your machine is open on that port.

A software firewall is great for monitoring what leaves your machine, ie a trojan etc or anything else malicious.

Here is an excellent site for explaining port forwarding

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Paul10590 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      can i ask, why do you need a firewall on a mac? you arn't at risk of any viruses, and very small chance of being hacked. Is it really necessary? Many windows users switch and want to have virus checkers and firewalls on macs and they arn't really that necessary unless your working on something top secret lol!

mrmojo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yea, you really don't need a firewall on a mac. And as most Windows firewalls are riddled with flaws there is limited benefit to using one of them behind a router.

To the OP - is your connection still stable?

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      why do you need a firewall on a mac? you arn't at risk of any viruses, and very small chance of being hacked.
      i never knew that - you learn something new everyday

spcdust is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Just because I'm on a Mac doesn't mean I don't need a firewall. Any computer connected to the net should have one no matter what OS it's using - not having one would be, to say the least, rather complacent.

As for Virus checkers, true that they are not such a big worry for us Mac users, however without one I could unwittingly pass a Windows virus onto my PC owning buddies (although being Windows users they probably deserve it )

spcdust
      Last edited by spcdust; 05-09-06 at 08:25 AM.

GPKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesbury
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

MrMojo,

I was online for just over 2 hours last night and suffered no interruptions to service whatsoever.
      Tonight I will move the router back upstairs and plug it into the permenant phone extension socket. I'll connect my laptop only and see how I get on. If I have another trouble free night of surfing, then I guess the culprit will in fact be my desktop PC.

If it does turn out to be the Desktop PC, what suggestions do the folk on here have? Will I be looking at a rebuild or do you think I could get away with less drastic action? BTW - I have Bearshare installed on Desktop, but have not tried running it since moving to Sky. I run regular virus & spyware scans and use a software firewall which is based on ZoneAlarm.

Regards
      Gary

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast