Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sky Broad - The "good", the BAD and the UGLY

This is a discussion on Sky Broad - The "good", the BAD and the UGLY within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, well try on the main socket. We've seen users go from 5mbit with drops to 20mbit stable just by ...

mrmojo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Ok, well try on the main socket. We've seen users go from 5mbit with drops to 20mbit stable just by using the main socket.

As for the router... sometimes that can happen. I know on an older router of mine if it dropped sync then the whole thing would lock up until it had sync back.

Anyway, try the master socket first -- if it still locks up and there is little change to the stats then it's probably a faulty router.

2. Advertisement
      stevelondon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Gary if ur saying that ur router is acting as if connected but you cant get online or access your router interface ? when u reboot ur router can you get online and into the router interface for say 5 or 10 minutes then you cant and have to reboot the router again and the cycle continues? what router do u have and has it got its own built in firewall?
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 04-09-06 at 08:43 PM.

GPKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesbury
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

MrMojo - I can certainly check the line stats from the main socket, but I will not be able to perform any tests on speeds faster than 5mbps as Tier 3 tech support have put a limit on my line. They are reluctant to raise it because it would probably cause stability issues (not that my "internet experience" is stable at the moment anyway!!!!)

Unregistered....
      Yes, I am finding that every so often I cannot access anything (including the routers config page). This usually happens every 5 - 10 minutes, but I have experienced trouble free connection for 1 hour maximum. I then have to unplug the power and plug back in. Within a minute or 2 I am back online and can access the router config.
      Sorry I cannot remember the exact model of router as I am at work at the moment. It is a Netgear router which is provided by Sky - "bog standard" routers will not work with SkyBB. Yes, the router does have a built-in firewall.

Regards
      Gary

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Gary (if ur patient with this it should work)do u have your own firewall installed on ur PC im assuming u have? go into ur own firewall settings and say if u use Zone alarm (as an example) in programme control main tab adjust it to low which is learning mode do the equivalant with whatever firewall u use then uncheck to stop it from starting up when u turn ur computer on then turn off ur pc (dont restart it) then power down ur router and give it at least 30 seconds 10 minutes is better then power up ur router first then put ya pc back on (make sure ur own firewall hasnt started up if it does u will have to repeat the process again) it wont hurt as the Netgear firewall is powerful and see how it goes and keep checking now and again that u can surf and access the routers interface after say about 3 hours start up ur firewall again and it shud be ok but if you change any settings in ur router u will probably have to go thru the process again.
      The only other solution is to turn off ur own firewall as at the moment ur double firewalled . It is important that u do the process in the order i specified its a nuisance i know but it works if u want to use ur own firewall too. hope this helps.
      Regards
      Steve
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 04-09-06 at 08:41 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I forgot to add keep ur own firewall on low for a few days when ur satisfied its stable then u can probably reconfigure ur firewall back to ur normal settings.
      Good Luck
      Steve
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 04-09-06 at 08:41 PM.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      ^^^ me thinks Steve should register

edit:

welcome to skyuser.co.uk stevelondon

i have modified your posts to show your name
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 04-09-06 at 08:59 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up

Hi there and thanks

Regards
      ***Steve***

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      thanks for registering, i can see you are gonna be quite busy helping peeps out

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Hi Steve, and welcome!

Exactly how does changing the firewall settings affect the router?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi hugsie

It doesn't effect the router its the firewall on the pc stops it communicating with the router usually after 5-10 minutes even when your network and router are configured with it i couldn't for the life of me work out why it was doing it for days till i was told how to resolve it i recently upgraded my old Netgear router to a DG834PN and low and behold the problem was back done the same procedure now works fine only problem is if you change any of the wireless or ADSL settings in your router the problem returns and you have to go thru it again. Only other solution is to only use the routers firewall, i think it also depends what firewall a person has installed on their PC.
      Regards
      Steve
      ***Steve***

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast