Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Connections - unofficial windowsXP

This is a discussion on Slow Connections - unofficial windowsXP within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Because of my skills I often get asked to help friends out with PC problems, and I have come across ...

gabell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Slow Connections - unofficial windowsXP

Because of my skills I often get asked to help friends out with PC problems, and I have come across the same problem twice in one week to 2 new sky broadband customers, both in different towns so unlikely to be on the same exchange. The sky BB installations checks the authenticity of the Windows XP installation and if it doesn't like it - refuses to upgrade internet explorer and disables Windows system restore. Both systems also go extremely slow on the internet to the point that either pages aren't displayed or its like being on Dialup again.
      Thinking I was clever, thought it was something to do with the Sky Broadband disk and Microsoft being a bit awkward so I recovered to an as-built backup created several months earlier and didn't bother installing the sky BB disk at all. But the 2 machines are still terribly slow.
      My question is, Are they experiencing the same problems as many others OR, does the XP installation need to be legit and the Sky BB disk installed.
      Thanks
      G

2. Advertisement
      stevelaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (01642)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Connections - unofficial windowsXP

I didn't install anything from the Sky CD - as soon as I saw the "this is a wire, can you say wire" animation I pulled it out. (still no idea what's on it)

So you don't need it.

Do you know what packages they are on?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

One is on Connect until new SKy BB available. The other is on Max.
      So I summise from this that one is BT's and the other is Sky's equipment.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Also note that the BT technician who came out to one of them to install the line and box, said he used his laptop to connect to the router and said everything was ok so must be machine. Unfortunatley, I wasn't there to witness this and the person in question is a pensioner who believed everything she was told.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gabell View Post
      Also note that the BT technician who came out to one of them to install the line and box, said he used his laptop to connect to the router and said everything was ok so must be machine. Unfortunatley, I wasn't there to witness this and the person in question is a pensioner who believed everything she was told.
      Well you said yourself they connect which is presumbly all the engineer checked (but we have no way to know what he did or didn't do). Its not unfeasible it is a problem on the machnes.

What have you tried? (TCPOptimizer, malware scans, rebooting everything, clear cache/temp files, ...)

As you've seen there are many of these exact same threads. We're probably not going to tell you much different to everything that's being repeated dozens of times across this forum...

(Not near Northamption are they?)
      Last edited by stevelaw; 18-02-07 at 10:44 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just a quick update :-
      Tried a laptop direct to the router and performance is OK and speed test shows 8Meg. Also tried malware/spyware scans, and they show machines as clean.
      One thing common with both systems is that they use Nvidia chipsets and nvidia Lan. Will try adding seperate ethernet card next, and may even try a linux on CD to see if that makes a difference.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Good tests to try, let us know how you get on. The more we can eliminate the closer we get to the problem.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Jeepers, just noticed you exchange - Norton 01642.
      Th e2 machine I am investigating are both 01642, one Redcar, the other Maske
      Will keep you informed.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Know them very well (I used to go out round Redcar a lot, and my sister lives there now).

(It's Marske btw, with an r )

Look forward to hearing what you find out.

(There's a good chance they are both on the same exchange you know, go to The Broadband Resource to find out - not the same as me I'm about 15 miles away, I mean the same as each other)
      Last edited by stevelaw; 19-02-07 at 08:29 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Semi Solution on one machine. Tried linux boot CD - no good, tried seperate ethernet adapter (usb to eth) - no good. Out of desperation, tried a Dlink 10Mbit 4port hub between PC and router - and viola, the internet and email accounts now work at a reasonable speed (not as fast as the laptop though but usuable). This would suggest it is definatley a router issue and possibly its negotiation with different speed NICs. Also tried forcing 10Mbit full and half duplex modes in the driver for the Nvidia Ethernet but these made no difference.
      Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can make something out of this or suggest other settings to try.
      Also see some people have some success with replacing the Netgear Router for another make...
      I'll keep you informed.......
      G