Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

I have just been activated...

This is a discussion on I have just been activated... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have just come over from NTL after being with them for nearly two years, I decided to give ...

acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have just been activated...

Hi,

I have just come over from NTL after being with them for nearly two years, I decided to give sky a go simply because they offered me up to 8MB BB (connect) for just 5 per month. (Will automatically be put on their service when they install their gear in my local exchange in May.)

I received my router promptly, and my line has been activated by BT early. (Was went to be done on the 21 Feb 2007, well as stated by sky anyway.)

It is now Sunday evening and everything is up and running, can't fault sky or BT!

Anyway these are my stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2304 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.0 db 29.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 18.0 db

Only downside is I'm getting less than 2MB, I am putting this down to the ten day training period. I believe I am supposed to be able to get 4-4.5MB on my line.

2. Advertisement
      stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: I have just been activated...

You need to make sure you have your router connected to your master socket/test socket, and reboot your router daily during the 10 day training period.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your advice, well what a day I have had!

I plugged my router into the master test socket and got the following:

Connection Speed 6688 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.0 db 28.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.7 db 20.0 db

So my extension was causing a big difference in quality, I have since ripped out my extension and installed a whole new one.

It consists of around 5 meters of 2 pair telephone cable coming from the master BT socket (pins 2 and 5) located in the front bedroom which in turn enters the second bedroom and is installed into a filtered faceplate so no need for a separate filter.

I am now getting from my extension:

Connection Speed 6688 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.0 db 28.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.7 db 20.0 db

So all is looking good, I will reboot daily over the next 10 days.

PS. I know I should plug my router into the BT master socket and leave it there but that is just not possible as there is no mains plug anywhere near the BT master socket and the kids would destroy the router it if I leave it laying around their bedroom floor for that length of time!

Also if my line locks at a good speed because I used my master socket I do not want to risk dropouts etc due to any change caused by using an extension after the ten day training period.
      Last edited by acoolwelshbloke; 19-02-07 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Me and my spelling. LOL

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I too am thinking of moving from ntl freedom but haven't yet built up the courage ... a bit nervous after reading some horror stories! Can I ask if you had any problems getting your MAC and how long did you have to wait for it?

Also, how long from the time you ordered to the complete migration. Oh yes, have you now cancelled your ntl account - I am worried that if I change and the complete date comes through just after my direct debit to ntl freedom goes out that they will take the whole month's payment if you understand ... not sure how it works. Do not want to be paying two ISPs for a month!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi CYMRAES, Well I never ported over, I had a clean BT line with no previous BB supplied on it!

I had NTL cable Broadband via a cable modem.

My NTL BB account is not going to be switched off until 11th March 2007, I did it this way just in case I had any problems with my sky connection. For me it was simple it may not go so well for you but you will never know unless you try!

Personally so far so good for me, now that I sorted out my extension my levels look good considering the distance from the exchange. I know I should get around the 4MB mark and considering I was paying NTL 25 for the same thing well I am 20 a month better off!

Remember though it is not sky who fook up in most cases it's BT, I guess it comes down to each individual exchange and who staff it. Swansea main exchange is pretty good, they normally complete orders early from my experience!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acoolwelshbloke View Post
      Swansea main exchange is pretty good, they normally complete orders early from my experience!
      Thank you for your reply. I live near Llantrisant, so I wonder if that would be similar - not sure what exchange here!

Well at the moment I have broadband (2mb) and talk with ntl freedom 24.99
      sky tv (2 mixes) 15.00.
      total 39.99

Thinking about the MID sky package (tv 6 mix, so gaining there!) at 26 plus getting talk anytime 5
      total 31.00

ntl freedom I have found is pretty reliable but when I could be saving 9 with faster broadband and gaining the extra 4 mixes with tv ... it is tempting.

I am getting a bit worried though where I see all these threads about router problems, re booting, checking/testing master socket, speed testing etc!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You can go to The Broadband Resource to find out what your exchange is and how far away it is. It will also give you an estimated speed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stephens View Post
      You can go to The Broadband Resource to find out what your exchange is and how far away it is. It will also give you an estimated speed.
      Thank you stephens, just had a look and exchange here is in Llantrisant - on the doorstep! THat should be a good sign if I were to go over to sky shouldn't it?

I was only able to find details of exchange on there ... I couldn't find anything about estimated speed though. Tried the speedtest.net though using the london server location and result at present is 990kbs download, with upload 245kbs. Using zdnet speed states 955.

Sorry I really don't understand these figures but currently with ntl freedom dial up broadband 2mb.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What distance dows it say you are from your exchange?

It may not give you an extimated speed as your are on NTL. I have never been in that situation so I wouldnt know.

If you are somewhere around 1km from your exchange then you should see the full 8mb. Even if you are further away you can achieve this speed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It is only about a mile away and it is sky enabled. I can't remember where I found a link somewhere on this website to find out capability of speed achievable from my line but the result was around 6mb if I remember rightly - have been looking for the link again but can't find it. I would surely find a difference as I am only on 2mb with ntl freedom and I don't think I am getting that at the moment.

What gets me worried is from reading so many threads here and tech forums people with problems etc where there is so much talk about re booting router, phoning tier 3, tier 2 and so much jargon which I do not understand - it sounds so complicated!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast