Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I have just been activated...

This is a discussion on I have just been activated... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; the different tiers are just the different support sections at sky. Although you see many problems posted here I believe ...

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: I have just been activated...

the different tiers are just the different support sections at sky. Although you see many problems posted here I believe there are many people who have sorted them simply. From your speed test results you are only receiving around 1mb from NTL. You should see a good improvement on moving to sky.

If you are just simply going to have the router plugged into your master socket and then connected to a computer via ethernet cable I dont think there are many problems you can come across.

If you are not going to be connecting to your master socket you need to make sure the extension wiring is connected well and the orange wire from terminal 3 is not connected. Even if connecting at the master but there are other extensions in the house the orange wire from terminal 3 should still be removed

2. Advertisement
      CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thank you for that stephens, for the information and for the words of encouragement.

Funny thing is a year last October I upgraded from 1mb to 2mb speed with ntlfreedom, and to be honest I never saw any improvement - makes me wonder ...

All I need to do now is to get the courage to phone for MAC and contact sky!

zola1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

i,ve been activated now for 3weeks and also live in the swansea area,1 mile from exchange.I was getting 2mb now it,s only 0.5mb,i too was with ntl and am regretting the change over

acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CYMRAES View Post
      Thank you for that stephens, for the information and for the words of encouragement.

Funny thing is a year last October I upgraded from 1mb to 2mb speed with ntlfreedom, and to be honest I never saw any improvement - makes me wonder ...

All I need to do now is to get the courage to phone for MAC and contact sky!
      Before I went over to NTL I had 1MB BB via my BT line through AOL. My line at that time could only handle 1MB due to the distance from the exchange, however AOL told me I could get there 2MB package! Yea right once they changed over I had a load of problems so they reverted me back to the 1MB package and all was well.

That was one of the reasons for me going over to NTL, now I decided to give this adsl max a go so far so good however I hate the ten day training period!

I am currently getting speeds of up to 2MB which I believe is the norm during the first ten days!

I can't see you having a problem.

Zola1 I am about a mile and a half away from the exchange and I am getting better speeds than you report, Sky do not currently have their equipment installed in the exchange so like me you will be on the connect package until may. It must be due to your internal cabling have you tried plugging your router directly into the BT test socket?
      Last edited by acoolwelshbloke; 20-02-07 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks

i,ve tried the master socket with no difference.i bought adsl Nation masterplate last week and my downstrem went from roughly 2250 to 5450 and on saturday my speeds went up to about a 4.5mbps connection downloading at about 520kbs but now down to about 0.5 downloading 110kbs.I,ve been on to customer service who,ve put on tier 3 expecting phone call in a few days

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

acoolwelshbloke and zola1,
      You talk about NTL mine is ntl freedom (dial up not cable) and they have different contact phone numbers. I remember phoning them up a few months ago, as I had read that people were able to get deals with ntl to reduce price - first of all they could not find my account, they realised eventually that I was with ntl freedom and they were ntl! I had to phone another number to ntl freedom and was told they didn't do deals and as I wasn't in cable area I would not be able to switch to ntl and take advantage.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CYMRAES View Post
      acoolwelshbloke and zola1,
      You talk about NTL mine is ntl freedom (dial up not cable) and they have different contact phone numbers. I remember phoning them up a few months ago, as I had read that people were able to get deals with ntl to reduce price - first of all they could not find my account, they realised eventually that I was with ntl freedom and they were ntl! I had to phone another number to ntl freedom and was told they didn't do deals and as I wasn't in cable area I would not be able to switch to ntl and take advantage.
      How are you on dial up?

Thought you had NTL freedom BB via your BT line?

Zola1 maybe it's due to your ten day training period? Sounds like you had a poor line during the ten day training and your line has locked/synced at the speed suitable during that time?

You said your downstrem went from roughly 2250 to 5450 after installing the adsl Nation masterplate but was this during the first ten days or after?
      Last edited by acoolwelshbloke; 20-02-07 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks

it was after the 10 day trial but my speeds were up to a 4.5mb connection during the weekend but like i say have really dropped now.Also i lose connection many times during the day.at the moment my router says 5240 downstream 448 up i should be getting at least faster speeds with those stats

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What is your Downstream Noise Margin showing as?

Thanks

i havent a clue what this should say but attenuation 51.0db down 31.5db up and the noise margin is 5.0db down 23.0db up

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast