Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

160Kbps download speed!!!!

This is a discussion on 160Kbps download speed!!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been with Sky for 1 month having transfered from AOL. I have been having trouble with my Sky ...

machra1961 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

160Kbps download speed!!!!

I have been with Sky for 1 month having transfered from AOL. I have been having trouble with my Sky router from day one. I could connect via WiFi but not cable. Sky have conceded that the fault lies with the router and are sending me a new one. However I am only getting download speeds of 160kbps. Silly question realy but is this due to being capped? Using the stats below can anyone tell me what speed I can expect to get if/when I get Sky to uncap my connection.

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 224 Kbps, Downstream rate = 160 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 5.8 7.0
      Attn(dB): 43.0 26.0
      Pwr(dBm): 13.1 12.5
      Max(Kbps): 224 288
      Rate (Kbps): 160 224

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 160Kbps ownload speed!!!!

Welcome to the forum

As you are only connecting at 224kbps, 160kbps download is all you could expect.

Of course, the big question is why are you only connecting at 224 when your attenuation suggests you could expect to connect at ~9000?

I find it hard to believe that it is a router fault which is causing this. The answer is almost certainly that you have a noisy line and probably have been capped (actually you are on G.DMT so in effect you have been). Even though you are connecting at this very low speed your noise margin is very low which is certainly indicative of a big noise problem. Do you have your router plugged into an extension?

The first thing to do is test your connection by plugging your router directly into your test socket which you will find behind the faceplate of your master socket (assuming you have an NTE5). Post the results.

In the meantime there are a number of informative posts on the forum which will bring you up to speed with all this stuff. Start with the first sticky in my signature at the bottom of this post, then have a look at the cabling and faceplate help forum.

machra1961 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 160Kbps ownload speed!!!!

Thanks for the reply. I have the modem plugged into the main BT socket. This is the only socket I have in my house - I do not have any extension sockets. BT socket is an old one and does not have a test socket incorporated so I can't carry out the test you suggest. For the first few days with Sky I was getting 2400 kbps but the cable side of the modem stopped working and after several LONG discussions with Sky they have decided to send me a new modem. (Modem still works fine on WiFi but still U/S on cable) I presume I have been capped because they thought it was my line playing up when I reported the modem was faulty. Would a new BT socket help?